PDA

View Full Version : Mountain on Fire

LawnTamer
08-30-2008, 09:58 AM
Howdy all,

This week I was out doing fertilizer apps in a town called Draper. About noon I noticed a small fire on the mountain just above town.

This second pic is less than an hour later. It has been very hot and dry here, and this mountain is steep, couple that with a stiff breeze pushing the fire north (from right to left in pic)

There were tons of planes, helicopters and fire engines from all over, as I was working there was just a constant drone of sirens as new engines kept arriving from neighboring towns/cities. There was constant noise from the planes and helicopters. The fire came pretty close to about 65 homes

After the fire. Now all the homes below are in very serious danger of mudslides, and will be for a yr or 2. We are expecting heavy rain this weekend, people are being advised not to sleep in basements. I guess when a mudslide comes, it breaks in the windows and starts to fill the room, when this happens, whoever is in the room can't open the door to get out because of the mud.

One weird thing, I had 2 lawns in a neighborhood they had evacuated. The police/fire authority had set up a road block wouldn't let residents in at all, but they let me in to do apps:laugh::laugh: Guess they figured if the fire came at all close, I wouldn't try to save the house with a garden hose, or get out all my photos whatever. It wasn't pleasant doing the 2 lawns, like standing in the smoke of a campfire.

STIHL GUY
08-30-2008, 10:48 PM
wowthat is a lot of smoke. i hope nobodys houses get ruined

Riley Lawn Service
09-01-2008, 01:01 AM
sounds like fun kinda surprising that they let you past the roadblocks i think it would be kind of a safety issue but o well.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-01-2008, 01:50 AM
sounds like fun kinda surprising that they let you past the roadblocks i think it would be kind of a safety issue but o well.

Same here, MOrons!

joe the lawn guy
09-01-2008, 02:00 AM
here's my ? if the homes did burn should you charge them ??

Mickhippy
09-01-2008, 04:57 AM
Should of hung some ribs off ya trimmer racks!

LawnTamer
09-01-2008, 10:15 AM
I think the point with the forced evacuation was to get people out of their houses. People get sentimental over their homes, just below the evacuated neighborhood, people were all out running the sprinklers and hooking together hoses, like that would help.

I suppose they knew that I wouldn't try to save anything but my own backside should things start to go badly.

It was very smoky and unpleasant.

No houses burned and the fire was put out very quickly, controlled by nightfall, only 800 acres burned. For here 800 acres is a very small fire.