PDA

View Full Version : Squash bugs...

DeepGreenLawn
08-30-2008, 10:02 AM
OK, I had a customer who said she has "Squash Bugs" on her pumpkins and wanted to know if I knew of anything to put on them...

I will do research but I have no clue about these little guys, she said she asked someone and they said to squish them with your fingers, the adults, and she said that there were way to many to do that.

I would like organics but she wasn't too worried as she said these aren't being eaten, but I still would like to do this organicly if possible.

Organic a go go
08-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Spray some Bt and see what happens.

DeepGreenLawn
08-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Bracylus Therangenus? I KNOW I got that one all screwed up...

DeepGreenLawn
08-30-2008, 10:22 AM
bacillus thuringiensis, thats better, is there a brand product that this falls into or do you basically just have to find the product... is it available at a big box store/lesco is what I am asking I guess...

Bill? Barry?

phasthound
08-30-2008, 10:36 AM
bacillus thuringiensis, thats better, is there a brand product that this falls into or do you basically just have to find the product... is it available at a big box store/lesco is what I am asking I guess...

Bill? Barry?

I doubt Bt will control squash bugs. There are several formulations, read the label.
Some other options are insecticidal soap or neem oil.

DeepGreenLawn
08-30-2008, 10:53 AM
yeah I read up on them, they said they have that hard outside shell that is pretty good at penetrating insecticides, that the nymphs are the ones to treat.

treegal1
08-30-2008, 04:34 PM
fish oil with 3% canola...........1 gallon per 100 water.

DeepGreenLawn
08-30-2008, 04:37 PM
fish oil with 3% canola...........1 gallon per 100 water.

I thought you might of had some concoction... been waiting for a response from you...

treegal1
08-30-2008, 05:04 PM
if you dont want to try and make you own get some organocide from the HD. its all N so be careful not to burn, and by Ni mean protein

DeepGreenLawn
08-30-2008, 05:10 PM
I don't mind making my own... I was kind of hoping you had something... if you post it I am confident it is a tried a true product...

With that said, this is a bug that all info says insecticides wont have much effect... so I am not expecting a miracle either.

Main concern is to keep it safe for any possible vegies that it may come in contact with...

treegal1
08-30-2008, 05:27 PM
this is just the old oil bath smother type death

naughty62
09-03-2008, 07:35 AM
bonneem insect soap ,I believe it is restriction exempt too .

JDUtah
09-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Next year I want to see what Chitosan does to the guys.. they do have chitin exoskeletons?

muddstopper
09-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Best way to get rid of squash bugs is a ounce of prevention. Row covers, hand picking,trapping under boards at night, etc. As a cure, Neems oil seems to do the most good. Neems has not turned out to be the big fix for garden pest it was hoped for, yet it has earned recongnition for the control of squash bugs. source, Mother Earth News, Aug, Sept, 2008 issue. You should still be able to find this issue at you local magazine rack.

Something you wont find in MotherEarth News is the use of Mullein flowers as a insect control. The blooms of the mullen plant contain rotenone and other insecticidal compounds. When mixed in oils such as the neems, and then applied as sprays, the mixture will discourage the feeding of insects on the plants. This mixture isnt to selective tho and you could be harming the benfitual insects as well as the pests. Rub the oil on your dog and get rid of fleas. Do not mix the seeds of the Mullein plant in any sprays, in fact, dont use the seeds for anything as they are quite toxic. The Mulleing leaves make a good poultice for minor wounds and insect bites. The roots make great chicken feed.

growingdeeprootsorganicly
09-06-2008, 04:06 PM
guys,

what neem products are you using? do you experience leaf wilting at high concentrations?

growingdeeprootsorganicly
09-06-2008, 04:08 PM
tree,

can you share A diy link or other info for making fish oil?

DeepGreenLawn
09-06-2008, 05:29 PM
I have heard that the wilting occurs at too high concentration or too many apps in a short time period. I tried using it once to control japanese beetles but I am sure I was way too late in the game to make a dint in them. I got "bioneem" myself. I got it in a little 5-10oz bottle. TINY! I don't recall being able to find it much bigger than that. People have said that possibly your local big box stores such as HD might carry it? I don't know...

DeepGreenLawn
09-06-2008, 05:31 PM
I was actually afraid to ask this but....

What is fish oil? Is that the oils in the water after fish have been in it for a while? I really haven't got a clue.

AND why were at it, I figure you can make fun of me all at once rather than spread it out... What is a meal? What causes something to be called a "meal" such as bone meal and what not? Just curious.

phasthound
09-06-2008, 06:36 PM
I was actually afraid to ask this but....

What is fish oil? Is that the oils in the water after fish have been in it for a while? I really haven't got a clue.

AND why were at it, I figure you can make fun of me all at once rather than spread it out... What is a meal? What causes something to be called a "meal" such as bone meal and what not? Just curious.

Hahahahahah!!!
We'll make fun of you anyway!

:):rolleyes::D:laugh::p:laughing::waving:

DeepGreenLawn
09-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Hahahahahah!!!
We'll make fun of you anyway!

:):rolleyes::D:laugh::p:laughing::waving:

LOL... I appreciate it...:laugh:

ICT Bill
09-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Next year I want to see what Chitosan does to the guys.. they do have chitin exoskeletons?

JD, you can spray chitosan on as many bugs as you like and it will not do a thing. when sprayed on plants it will induce systemic aquired resistance though, the plants immune system goes on high alert and it can often fend off pathogens very easily. chitosan is an enzyme trigger for certain bacteria, it is the enzyme that kills grubs and nematodes