PDA

View Full Version : Crape Myrtle Fungus

DeepGreenLawn
08-30-2008, 11:12 AM
OK, I have seen this before on bushes but not a crape myrtle, again, spelling?

I am 90% sure it is aphid droppings, you know the spots underneath and then the black fungus that feeds off of that and covers the leaf on top. I was not aware this was an issue with crape myrtles though. SO, being they are about to drop their leaves anyways, leave it? Treat is with NPP? I used a Bayer product a few years back when my bushes got it and it worked GREAT! But it wasn't organic and the customer could buy the same stuff off the shelf.

Any thoughts?

The same crape myrtle has not bloomed for a while also but I have a feeling it is because it is sandwiched between the woods and the house and is not getting enough sun. There is a smaller second one more in the sun and she said it bloomed before the fungus hit.

Kiril
08-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Any thoughts?

Google?

leave it .... clean up and dispose the leaf litter. Sooty mold is typically a result of insect infestation.

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/hgic2002.htm

DeepGreenLawn
08-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Google?

LOL, I don't mean to have this as my only source of info, I was just posting these for discussion and for others down the road.

Thanks,

That is what I felt to be the case... leave it and clean it up... it is obviously being caused by droppings underneath... So I figured it is not effecting the tree at all and by the time it is treated, drops it's leaves, and gets ready to put out new ones it will be on its way to dormancy anyways. So leave it be...

DeepGreenLawn
08-30-2008, 12:24 PM
good link too, like I said, I was 90% sure it was the same thing just wasn't aware that aphids attacked crape myrtles... something new to learn... I just wanted to be safe.

ICT Bill
08-30-2008, 01:28 PM
I have seen many presentations but have no imperical evidence

Plants that are declining or sickly are preyed on by pests first, the bugs have the instinct to know what an easy target is. The pest infestation is telling you something, the tree is in decline and needs some help.

The pests will bring disease and a long term decline. see the other post today about tending trees, but I would do a nice soil drench with compost tea cover it with a nice leaf or wood compost and cover that with mulch

DeepGreenLawn
08-30-2008, 01:36 PM
I guess that makes since, I thought something like aphids just found the kind of plants they liked and attacked, not mattering whether they were healthy or not. Just the flavor they preferred?

But that does make since I guess.

Kiril
08-30-2008, 01:45 PM
I thought something like aphids just found the kind of plants they liked and attacked, not mattering whether they were healthy or not. Just the flavor they preferred?

That is more or less true. Unhealthy plants natural defenses are impaired, offering an easy target and therefore are more susceptible to significant damage.

At the front line of defense is a healthy plant and active natural predator populations.

DeepGreenLawn
08-30-2008, 01:53 PM
so a little of both? It is obvious that a plant that is struggling is going to have more problems... and I can see that in this case as it is poor soil, poor placement, etc etc.

treegal1
08-30-2008, 05:46 PM
killit and get some thing else, just put it out of its misery. the ones that grow here are always ugly and need a ton of tea to stay healthy.

DeepGreenLawn
08-30-2008, 05:51 PM
they typically do well here and always grow up nice... most of the time with little work. I personally love them, especially when cut back, I think that can be the coolest look...

I am a big fan of different barks on trees such as the crape myrtle, river birch, etc etc... I would plant trees just for the different barks...

Is that weird?

treegal1
08-30-2008, 06:10 PM
its cool I dig bark also, and the myrtles are nice, if you stay on top of em, got to have tea all the time, 12 apps per year here, we even have a hedge? of them, the lawn gets skipped almost all the time, the craps get the works 24/7.

DeepGreenLawn
08-30-2008, 06:16 PM
foliar apps with ct or you drenching them or both?

treegal1
08-30-2008, 06:33 PM
all of the above................. lots of tea..........