PDA

View Full Version : Horse Nutrition

DeepGreenLawn
08-30-2008, 10:14 AM
This is an interesting one for you...

Gave an estimate yesterday to some people that had horses. They asked what would be a proper plant/grass that the horses could eat that would be most beneficial to them nutrient wise and such. Said there was a lot of bermuda out there that they were told to keep for erosion but wanted to know if there was something else the horses could eat that would benefit their health.

I told them that I would look into it...

Kiril
08-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Don't depend on grazing to nourish your horses.

DeepGreenLawn
08-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I figured that... however I didn't see any barns around either, I believe there were 3 horses, the area wasn't dirt and no grass, a lot of bermuda and a lot of weeds, looked like they stayed out there. A lot of people have them graze here until winter and then feed hay.

I am not a horse person, but there are a lot around, and she asked, I try to respond. I am researching on it right now...

Tim Wilson
08-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Our horses have thrived on graze for 23 years without a problem. Very occasionally we feed oats a quart at a time on very cold days (e.g. -10 to -20). We bought a ton of oats in 2000 and still have lots left.

A good mix for horses is Timothy, Alfalfa, Fescue, Red Clover. This mix is practically self sustaining nutrient wise as the Alfalfa & Red Clover release excess nutrients to the Timothy & Fescue. Reed Canary grass is okay too.

All that hay is, is the above cut, dried and baled.

DeepGreenLawn
08-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks,

I love that horse! That is a big ole boy!

Are those all cool season or will they work with our heat? Or do they kind of transition in and out?

Great scenery too!

Kiril
08-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Growing up, we feed ours oats daily with hay, grazing was a bonus. :)

Tim, where is the grass. ;)

Tim Wilson
08-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Growing up, we feed ours oats daily with hay, grazing was a bonus. :)

Tim, where is the grass. ;)

In the next pasture over. See 'Any Pics' thread and the photo below. Am important point is that you need about 2 acres per horse minimum unless you irrigate and rotate pasture area intensely.

Tim Wilson
08-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks,

I love that horse! That is a big ole boy!

Are those all cool season or will they work with our heat? Or do they kind of transition in and out?

Great scenery too!

He is a Belgian. In summer it gets over 100 degrees here a lot. I took another look at the photo and realize it is early spring before the leaves have come back and the grass started so I guess my post to Kiril is a bit of a lie.:confused:

DeepGreenLawn
08-30-2008, 01:14 PM
I thought it looked like he still had a winter coat going?

I doubt these people have 2 acres per horse but I don't know, I was there late at the day and we talked alot at the house so I didn't really get a chance to look around. When I left I was more focused on the road and my GPS as I was trying to get to the poker game that was starting when I left the property.

Kiril
08-30-2008, 01:17 PM
I worked for a guy when I was in HS who raised Belgians for breeding and competition. Either that is a very young/small Belgian, or you are one tall dude.

Good point to raise about acreage. Real easy to overgraze, which leads to all kinds of problems. This was the reason for our horses only getting "bonus" grazing.

Tim Wilson
08-30-2008, 03:01 PM
I worked for a guy when I was in HS who raised Belgians for breeding and competition. Either that is a very young/small Belgian, or you are one tall dude.

Good point to raise about acreage. Real easy to overgraze, which leads to all kinds of problems. This was the reason for our horses only getting "bonus" grazing.

The Belgian was about 6 years old in the picture, 17+ hands tall and weighed in at 2000 pounds. I think a ton is pretty big for a Belgian and their height varies with genetics. I have a Shire X Clydesdale who is about a half a hand taller and weighs slightly less.

Here he is with my God daughter.

Back in the 90s when I was a wild adventurer, my friend and I traveled 800 miles to the prairies in mid-winter and brought back 20 head of wild horses (mostly mares). We crossed them with the Belgian (when he was a young stallion; now gelded) and got some of the best looking horses I've seen. I sold all but two.

DeepGreenLawn
08-30-2008, 03:06 PM
Back in the 90s when I was a wild adventurer, my friend and I traveled 800 miles to the prairies in mid-winter and brought back 20 head of wild horses (mostly mares). We crossed them with the Belgian (when he was a young stallion; now gelded) and got some of the best looking horses I've seen. I sold all but two.

Now that sounds like fun!

Tim Wilson
08-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Now that sounds like fun!

Sure was, even though fairly foolish but at least I became part of history. This was one of the last wild herds in Canada and was being cleared off of military lands. Luckily, I had a connection with the military brass and could cut through a bunch of red tape to get the horses.

Here is some info about Belgians;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_(horse)

growingdeeprootsorganicly
08-30-2008, 04:02 PM
tim, i know you want to sell your land there and more on,
but it is sure quit beautiful their! probably more like breath taking in person viewing that territory, love those mountains in the for ground, stunning really! your very lucky to enjoy that daily. i'm jealous

44DCNF
08-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Is the pinto (is that the correct term, I mean coloration not lineage) behind the belgian one of the ones you bred? Do you have a close up of it (for my wife). Thanks.

DeepGreenLawn
08-30-2008, 04:14 PM
do you mean paint?

44DCNF
08-30-2008, 04:17 PM
I might have my terms crossed, paint or pinto. I think one has to do with coloration and one has to do with breed/bloodline. I think paint refers to the latter. Sorry to side track your thread DGL. You must be getting more interested in horses yourself, being around them more know, or are you not?

DeepGreenLawn
08-30-2008, 04:24 PM
paint is the two colors mixed together...

treegal1
08-30-2008, 04:41 PM
did I say some thing about this to you before deep?? clover,leucena, millet and beans, I could go on for days about this. there is even some hybrid peanuts that will make great feed.

treegal1
08-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Sure was, even though fairly foolish but at least I became part of history. This was one of the last wild herds in Canada and was being cleared off of military lands. Luckily, I had a connection with the military brass and could cut through a bunch of red tape to get the horses.

Here is some info about Belgians;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_(horse)the 70 lbs per day manure makers! they are wonderful!!!!

DeepGreenLawn
08-30-2008, 04:44 PM
I don't know... I haven't messed with horses much... just have to put up with their crap...

Sorry, that was bad...

This is a customers request... there are quite a few farms around, I feel this might actually turn into a market the way horse people get together the way they do...

DeepGreenLawn
08-30-2008, 04:45 PM
the 70 lbs per day manure makers! they are wonderful!!!!

lol, I love the new perspective on things...

treegal1
08-30-2008, 05:06 PM
i have started to get paid per lbs of horse chow, one guy uses it for hog chow says the jump the fence for it.

horses are ok but I like mules better

DeepGreenLawn
08-30-2008, 05:15 PM
I gave an estimate to a lady with a mule in her yard... I thought it had to go if we really wanted a good looking yard... "go" as in off the front lawn.

treegal1
08-30-2008, 05:32 PM
I gave an estimate to a lady with a mule in her yard... I thought it had to go if we really wanted a good looking yard... "go" as in off the front lawn.you so mean take that mules spot in the yard just for some grass???

Tim Wilson
08-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Deep: Yes this valley is awesome! If I sell the whole place I'm going to buy 5 acres from my neighbor so I have an escape to come back to. Clean air, incredible water, coyotes, bears, elk, deer outside my door. Never go hungry if the grocery stores closed.

I'll work on the photo of the Pinto. I think I have some stored. Yes he is one of the crosses. His name is Stormy Legend.

Everybody has a different storey about paint and pinto. I call paints a dark horse with light colored blotches.

Treegal: I have a mule named Missouri. I had another named Whitey. He was my favorite but got shot by hunters (dum city people) a few years ago. We dug up the road last year with our excavator so the hunters couldn't get in. We sure caused a big war but the government came down on our side. We filled it back in after hunting season and the government is supposed to post new signs by Sept 15th or the road comes up agin.

treegal1
08-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Treegal: I have a mule named Missouri. I had another named Whitey. He was my favorite but got shot by hunters (dum city people) a few years ago. We dug up the road last year with our excavator so the hunters couldn't get in. We sure caused a big war but the government came down on our side. We filled it back in after hunting season and the government is supposed to post new signs by Sept 15th or the road comes up agin.OMG I would have cleared the forest of hunters with light machine gun fire, dug up the road with dynamite and posted the no hunting sign in hunter blood. and I hunt to!! thats so dum and one more reason for less gun control, then they my just shoot more of them self's or there idiot friends in the face, like the VP did.

phasthound
08-30-2008, 06:22 PM
OMG I would have cleared the forest of hunters with light machine gun fire, dug up the road with dynamite and posted the no hunting sign in hunter blood. and I hunt to!! thats so dum and one more reason for less gun control, then they my just shoot more of them self's or there idiot friends in the face, like the VP did.

Hey treegal,
I didn't know you were a Ted Nugent fan!

treegal1
08-30-2008, 06:33 PM
oh yes and its a shame more folks dont do the things he does!! "I am not mean your just a sissy"

phasthound
08-30-2008, 07:01 PM
If everyone was as responsible with a gun as he is, that would be great. However............................

Oh, hey did they revoke Chaney's license? :)

Tim Wilson
08-31-2008, 12:47 PM
Here's the pinto Stormy and Whitey the mule.

muddstopper
09-02-2008, 11:59 PM
This is an interesting one for you...

Gave an estimate yesterday to some people that had horses. They asked what would be a proper plant/grass that the horses could eat that would be most beneficial to them nutrient wise and such. Said there was a lot of bermuda out there that they were told to keep for erosion but wanted to know if there was something else the horses could eat that would benefit their health.

I told them that I would look into it...

getting back on topic for a minute.
Woodstock isnt veryfar from where I am at and I think climate wise is very similar. We usually plant Orchardgrass and Timothy with a little Durana Clover in our horse pastures. My brother always goes into Tenn to buy Bermuda Hay. Its a hybrid bermuda that doesnt reproduce with seed. I think if you are going to plant a horse pasture this time of year you are probably a little late to be trying to establish bermuda, but right on time for the cool season grasses. I will say this, if they dont have enough pasture for the number of horses, it probably isnt going to make much difference what type of grass you plant because the horses will just pick it into the dirt. I would be very careful giving anykind of warranty in this situation. I have a Alpaca Lady that I reseed her pastures every year. She wont leave the alpacas off the pastures long enough for the grass to get established and she always let them overgraze. Every year its like starting on new ground.

Another thing to consider will be compaction. Horses can really stomp the ground hard. If you are going to be doing a total pasture renovation, I would soil test the area and apply all necessary amendments and till them into the soil before planting the seed. Try for at least 4 inches of tilling depth, 6inches would be even better. If you are not going to be able to till the soil, consider areation and the use of a seed drill for planting the seed. You can usually rent a drill from the local county extention service. You will need a good size tractor to pull it with.