PDA

View Full Version : under body hoist???

M RASCOE&SONS
08-30-2008, 10:10 PM
i have a 1996 c2500 chevy long bed and i was thinking about putting one of
those under bed dump hoists from northern tool,and maybe a set of timbrens to handle the extra tonage.i was thinking of using it to put a leaf box on it ,what do you guys think ??pros cons?

hosejockey2002
08-31-2008, 11:04 PM
A pickup bed has little in the way of framework, so when it is unbolted from the truck frame and up in the air it will be rather flimsy and easily tweaked. Another disadvantage to many dump bed kits is having to raise the bed to put fuel in the truck, and yet another is the amount of fabrication it takes to install one of these kits.

I've got a dump insert in my truck, and IMHO it's the only way to go if you want a pickup that dumps. The insert is heavier and more expensive than a bed kit, but much more durable and suited for dump use. Like I said the inserts are a bit heavy, but my 2500HD Chevy has a payload of almost 2800 lbs. with the insert installed without exceeding factory GVWR. I can easily haul and dump 3500 lbs. with Timbrens, which is approaching what a 1-ton mason dump can handle.

punt66
08-31-2008, 11:12 PM
A pickup bed has little in the way of framework, so when it is unbolted from the truck frame and up in the air it will be rather flimsy and easily tweaked. Another disadvantage to many dump bed kits is having to raise the bed to put fuel in the truck, and yet another is the amount of fabrication it takes to install one of these kits.

I've got a dump insert in my truck, and IMHO it's the only way to go if you want a pickup that dumps. The insert is heavier and more expensive than a bed kit, but much more durable and suited for dump use. Like I said the inserts are a bit heavy, but my 2500HD Chevy has a payload of almost 2800 lbs. with the insert installed without exceeding factory GVWR. I can easily haul and dump 3500 lbs. with Timbrens, which is approaching what a 1-ton mason dump can handle.

I also have an insert and overload it regularly in town. The old dodge loves it. I woul highy advise against using the bed. But a hoist under a flatbed will do you very well. Find a used flat bed somewhere and put that on the truck and a hoist under it. You can then put on the box and have a flatbed for pallets. I have a box on my insert and it works perfectly for me. My friend went the flatbed route and he loves it.

M RASCOE&SONS
08-31-2008, 11:35 PM
thanks for the input guys.this truck is gonna be mostly set up for leaf season and being that i had the c2500 sitting around i wanted to use it.the under bed kit is $1225 delivered to my door from northern,i think i might try to find a used dump insert.

punt66
08-31-2008, 11:37 PM
thanks for the input guys.this truck is gonna be mostly set up for leaf season and being that i had the c2500 sitting around i wanted to use it.the under bed kit is $1225 delivered to my door from northern,i think i might try to find a used dump insert.

good idea. I found my insert on ebay for $800. It was a little rough but a little welding and painting it was as good as new.

M RASCOE&SONS
09-01-2008, 04:33 PM
i just found a downeaster insert for my truck on craigslist,its 2 years old and i can get it for 1500.it came out of the same truck as mine but his was 1 yr older .

punt66
09-01-2008, 06:52 PM
i just found a downeaster insert for my truck on craigslist,its 2 years old and i can get it for 1500.it came out of the same truck as mine but his was 1 yr older .

its only 2 years old and half the price as new. Sounds good.

M RASCOE&SONS
09-01-2008, 09:06 PM
the guy has the truck up for sale with the insert all installed but i asked him if he would split them up and he said yeah for 1500,he wants 3100 for the truck and unit together.
my truck is 1 yr newer and in much better condition so i just want the insert.its got new pt sideboards ,its nice.if everything goes well he will slide it into another one of his trucks
and when i get there slide it into position and i will bolt it down when i get home.

punt66
09-01-2008, 09:16 PM
the guy has the truck up for sale with the insert all installed but i asked him if he would split them up and he said yeah for 1500,he wants 3100 for the truck and unit together.
my truck is 1 yr newer and in much better condition so i just want the insert.its got new pt sideboards ,its nice.if everything goes well he will slide it into another one of his trucks
and when i get there slide it into position and i will bolt it down when i get home.

good, you will be happy with an insert.

M RASCOE&SONS
09-02-2008, 09:35 PM
i get everything going today to go get my dump insert,i call about a set of timbrens for the rear(air bags $255.del).i then call the guy with dump insert and he says it will be ready to be loaded when i get there .i get a friend to go with me for the ride and we get on 95 north and start heading on are journey when 15 mins into trip i smell something funny like a hot electric smell,i jump over to the break down and stop and open hood .hmmm ac compressor clutch is smokin and hardly moving and the rest of my day goes down from there. maybe the truck is trying to tell me something.

punt66
09-02-2008, 09:39 PM
haha itd just an ac pump.