PDA

View Full Version : Fall Clean Up

JConner
08-30-2008, 10:19 PM
hey everyone i was wondering wht a fall clean up is i have no i dea please help me out
thanks a lot for any help

punt66
08-30-2008, 10:24 PM
thats funny right there. cleaning up the fallen leaves in the fall before the snow. i dont think you have to worry about that in florida

JConner
08-30-2008, 10:25 PM
thats what i thought but i seen a few people on here talking about it so i figuered i would ask

STIHL GUY
08-30-2008, 11:09 PM
here in CT its picking up leaves

Big Lebowski
08-30-2008, 11:58 PM
Curiously, what are you guys charging? Do you base it on the typical $60 an hour scheme? Are you charging per bag and hauling it out if it's necessary? What are some of your other add on charges?

STIHL GUY
08-31-2008, 12:12 AM
i get $45 per man hour. i have a place where i dump it for free and add the time it takes to drive and dump into the bill

Big Lebowski
08-31-2008, 12:51 AM
What are you doing to clean them up? The old fashioned rake and tarp or can etc.

Or do you guys use yard vacs etc?

hackitdown
08-31-2008, 08:57 AM
We use leaf blowers. We have 3 backpacks, and one walk behind blower. We blow them into the woods if possible. Or we blow them into piles, rake the piles onto tarps, and drag them into the woods. I then go over the lawn with a ZTR mower with a collection system.

I don't have the equipment to remove leaves from the property, but most guys do it. They use a trailer-mounted or truck mounted leaf loader to suck up the leaves onto a dump truck.

Big Lebowski
08-31-2008, 12:53 PM
Gotcha. There is one of those leaf vacs that attach to a lawn tractor like tractor supply sells on craigslist near me. I wonder if it would be worth the $$ since I don't have any other way to clean up leaves except a rake or grass catcher for my walk behind.

Being in NY, it can get downright ridiculous with the leaves. My own yard has 3 different trees that drop at 3 different times. The last one usually waits until the first snow. Now if I could only convince my customers to get these trees and I charge per incident...

Yep. This year will be my first fall. I am really hoping the transition goes well because this is my only job and if mowing doesn't smooth right into leaves then right into plowing - I may be in a little trouble financially.

hackitdown
08-31-2008, 01:20 PM
Gotcha. There is one of those leaf vacs that attach to a lawn tractor like tractor supply sells on craigslist near me. I wonder if it would be worth the $$ since I don't have any other way to clean up leaves except a rake or grass catcher for my walk behind.

I think I would buy a backpack blower before I bought a vac. The blower can be used to get leaves out of beds and corners and from under shrubs. Then use the rake and tarp, you can move mountains of leaves, pretty fast. Then go over it with your mower/catcher as a final sweep.

This year I invested in a JRCO leaf plow for my mower. We'll see how that goes.

soloscaperman
08-31-2008, 02:55 PM
I just use my RedMax 8001 for small cleanups and on big ones I use a walk behind blower.