PDA

View Full Version : what to do with soft spots in clay?

turboawd
08-30-2008, 10:14 PM
this house i'm working on (backyard patio) is about a year old. the yard wasnt pitched that great, and we fixed that....but, we notice along the foundation, that there are some spots that are real spongy(clay). i have a heavy compactor, but it doesnt help. you can step on these spots, and see the soil flex, yet it is dry on the surface, and moist below.
i've dug down a few spots, but i dont want to put 2' of gravel in there.
will this clay dry up and harden? or will it settle?:confused:

Reedee
08-30-2008, 10:23 PM
I don't know if this will help, but I have found that if you water the heck out of spots like that for a few days straight, then compact it you may see these spots settle...

Mike33
08-30-2008, 10:25 PM
not likely, are you planning on building wall or pavers on it? If so i would remove it and replace all base. Also there could be problem with footer drain or down spout check these item out. Not likely close to house but in my area we have a lot springs, then you have to deal with it different.
mike

turboawd
08-30-2008, 11:09 PM
this side of the house had mulch and didnt drain right, so it was always wet. everywhere else, the ground is very dry and hard.
if this wet spot dries, will it shrink?

forestfireguy
08-31-2008, 12:53 AM
overdig it, pull out 2x as much as you'd like to, compact it really well, a jumping jack would be better

PerfiCut L&L
08-31-2008, 05:09 AM
Take out twice as much as you need to. Put some lime down, and use a sheeps foot roller to need it in. then install your base.

neversatisfiedj
08-31-2008, 07:49 AM
Overdig stabilization. Do a search on goole and find the ep henry diagram.

turboawd
08-31-2008, 06:36 PM
but by putting more gravel near the foundation, the water will drain towards it, and i dont want that.

forestfireguy
08-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Water follows the path of least resistance, this is true above and below ground, compacted base material is not a very easy path.

LB1234
08-31-2008, 07:40 PM
don't compact clay. Just start digging until you hit some solid ground and backfill with some stone and compact. If you are worried about water in the basement install a french drain.

iowa
08-31-2008, 08:51 PM
overdig it.

jaybird24
09-01-2008, 11:21 AM
We run into this with houses on lakes, they capped the moist ground with clay, we dig down a foot and hit nasty wet stuff. Now we just dig down 4', build up with rip rap, then gravel, then fines. We also put stabilizing fabric down every foot on the way up, works everytime.

mrusk
09-01-2008, 04:49 PM
We run into this with houses on lakes, they capped the moist ground with clay, we dig down a foot and hit nasty wet stuff. Now we just dig down 4', build up with rip rap, then gravel, then fines. We also put stabilizing fabric down every foot on the way up, works everytime.

Same way we do it.