PDA

View Full Version : Mower Thief BUSTED!!

corey4671
08-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Bladerunner: Lawn mower thefts solved
Friday, August 29, 2008
By Karen Hall, Staff Writer

"We're just tickled to death," Marshall County Sheriff Les Helton said about the arrest on Tuesday, Aug. 19, of Norman Henry Litchford, 70, of 718 Raysville Rd. in Moore County.
The arrest resulted from a joint investigation of the sheriffs' departments in Bedford, Franklin, Moore and Marshall counties in Tennessee and the Trenton Police Department in Dade County, Georgia.

Litchford is charged with two thefts of lawn mowers and trailers in Marshall County, but it is alleged he has been stealing lawn equipment from a wide area over the past year.

"He was stealing big, zero-turn lawn mowers, four-wheelers, weed eaters ... mostly high-dollar stuff," said Moore County Sheriff Mark Logan.

"He'd back up to fully-loaded trailers with lawn mowers, hitch up and steal the whole thing," said Bedford County Sheriff Randall Boyce.

Property believed stolen by Litchford was recovered in Coffee and Franklin counties. Approximately 16 trailers, 15 lawnmowers, four 4-wheelers, and a variety of other lawn tools have been recovered to date. The investigation remains ongoing and other charges are pending.

The events leading to Litchford's arrival at the Marshall County jail unfolded like this.

At 3 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 13, the 911 center in Dade County, in northwest Georgia, received a report of a blue pickup truck that had stolen a riding lawn mower. Trenton City Police intercepted and stopped the vehicle.

The driver of the truck was Litchford. He was arrested and charged with the theft and the lawn mower was recovered and returned. Litchford was confined in the Dade County jail and then, due to good communication between law enforcement agencies, he was returned to Tennessee.

According to Dade County Detective Adam Reyes, while Litchford was in jail in Georgia, authorities in Moore County, Tenn., executed a search warrant and found a number of stolen items from several states at the residence.

Litchford is being held without bond in Marshall County jail. He has been bound over from General Sessions Court to the September term of the grand jury.

Sheriff Helton said he would like to thank the sharp-eyed citizen who was able to get the description of the vehicle that was involved in these thefts. He also thanked all the officers who put in long hours solving the case, especially Marshall County's Detective Keith Jolley and Capt. Norman Dalton.

"It just took everybody working together and running down tidbits of information," said Helton.

The sheriff advised everyone to keep close track of their lawnmowers, trailers and other outdoor equipment, and certainly to have all serial numbers written down and stored in a safe place. There will be people who cannot get their stolen equipment back because, without the serial number, they cannot prove it belongs to them."We're just tickled to death," Marshall County Sheriff Les Helton said about the arrest on Tuesday, Aug. 19, of Norman Henry Litchford, 70, of 718 Raysville Rd. in Moore County.

The arrest resulted from a joint investigation of the sheriffs' departments in Bedford, Franklin, Moore and Marshall counties in Tennessee and the Trenton Police Department in Dade County, Georgia.

Litchford is charged with two thefts of lawn mowers and trailers in Marshall County, but it is alleged he has been stealing lawn equipment from a wide area over the past year.

"He was stealing big, zero-turn lawn mowers, four-wheelers, weed eaters ... mostly high-dollar stuff," said Moore County Sheriff Mark Logan.

"He'd back up to fully-loaded trailers with lawn mowers, hitch up and steal the whole thing," said Bedford County Sheriff Randall Boyce.

Property believed stolen by Litchford was recovered in Coffee and Franklin counties. Approximately 16 trailers, 15 lawnmowers, four 4-wheelers, and a variety of other lawn tools have been recovered to date. The investigation remains ongoing and other charges are pending.

The events leading to Litchford's arrival at the Marshall County jail unfolded like this.

At 3 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 13, the 911 center in Dade County, in northwest Georgia, received a report of a blue pickup truck that had stolen a riding lawn mower. Trenton City Police intercepted and stopped the vehicle.

The driver of the truck was Litchford. He was arrested and charged with the theft and the lawn mower was recovered and returned. Litchford was confined in the Dade County jail and then, due to good communication between law enforcement agencies, he was returned to Tennessee.

According to Dade County Detective Adam Reyes, while Litchford was in jail in Georgia, authorities in Moore County, Tenn., executed a search warrant and found a number of stolen items from several states at the residence.

Litchford is being held without bond in Marshall County jail. He has been bound over from General Sessions Court to the September term of the grand jury.

Sheriff Helton said he would like to thank the sharp-eyed citizen who was able to get the description of the vehicle that was involved in these thefts. He also thanked all the officers who put in long hours solving the case, especially Marshall County's Detective Keith Jolley and Capt. Norman Dalton.

"It just took everybody working together and running down tidbits of information," said Helton.

The sheriff advised everyone to keep close track of their lawnmowers, trailers and other outdoor equipment, and certainly to have all serial numbers written down and stored in a safe place. There will be people who cannot get their stolen equipment back because, without the serial number, they cannot prove it belongs to them.

© Copyright 2008, Marshall County Tribune
Story URL: http://www.marshalltribune.com/story/1456665.html

mississippiturf
08-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Good news. Hope they make an example of him when its time for his sentence.

STIHL GUY
08-30-2008, 11:08 PM
at least they caught him. i hope everyone gets their stuff back

bare spot
08-30-2008, 11:18 PM
this dude was seventy yrs. old, did i read that right?

corey4671
08-30-2008, 11:19 PM

that's why I put that in bold letters

bare spot
08-30-2008, 11:35 PM
that's why I put that in bold letters

well, any age, good to hear his robbing days are done for a while, have a good one.

Hawg City Lawns
08-31-2008, 01:34 AM
no telling how many of those things hes sold over the years

topsites
08-31-2008, 01:48 AM

That tripped me right out, too.

bare spot
08-31-2008, 02:54 AM
That tripped me right out, too.

i could picture this in head, the public saying look at nice old guy retired, trying to work to make ends meet but here he's ripping people off. just now wondering if he ever used any of the stuff to mow some yds, or maybe that's what got him started in stealing lawn care stuff.

brandtb1
08-31-2008, 06:53 AM
They should make an example out of this guy. He is stealing the tools needed to make a living. What if he stole someone's office? I am glad that he got caught.

YAZOOMAN
08-31-2008, 07:22 AM
Last week an older guy stopped by the shop and asked me to cut some of the cable off of the winch an his trailer. Two days later he was arrested for stealing cars . Found out trailer was stolen too. 73yrs. old. What an idiot.

johnnybravo8802
08-31-2008, 09:34 AM
If you find a Toro push, it could be mine. I wish I could find the MF who stole my mower. I'm still looking for it-literally.:cry:

corey4671
08-31-2008, 09:41 AM
If you find a Toro push, it could be mine. I wish I could find the MF who stole my mower. I'm still looking for it-literally.:cry:

how close are you to Trenton GA? I know it's in the northwest corner of the state. I would recommend at least contacting the Dade Co Sheriff.

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-31-2008, 09:44 AM
What a bizarre fetish. IF you're gonna steal crap, why would it be Z's with dog poo in treads?

Beau Rivage
08-31-2008, 09:51 AM
No bail, eh? Sounds like they're going to play hard-ball with him. He deserves it. God only knows who he's been selling it to. My money's on illegal aliens for cash. Sounds like it's time for an ankle bracelet to me and I hope he's forced to sell his property to pay everyone back.

johnnybravo8802
08-31-2008, 09:57 AM
how close are you to Trenton GA? I know it's in the northwest corner of the state. I would recommend at least contacting the Dade Co Sheriff.
I live in Loganville, Ga. and had it stolen a couple of months ago. He had either a pale yellow early 90's model blazer or an S-10 with a camper shell. I saw him drive away with it and reported it to the police. I haven't seen that vehicle since.

Frontier-Lawn
08-31-2008, 10:00 AM
so if your trailer is there and you can get that back via the tag info, what about the lawn equipment inside if you dont have the ssn info on them?

E & J Pro Turf
08-31-2008, 10:23 AM
Give him life !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean 18 months.................. Oops same thing I bet.

Wild 70 yr old thief.

Eakern & Dog
09-14-2009, 12:56 PM
http://www.marshalltribune.com/story/1483287.html

Old news........but he was sentenced too lightly as far as I'm concerned. I'm also angry that his side kick had not been indicted yet.

Eakern & Dog
09-14-2009, 12:58 PM
http://www.waff.com/global/story.asp?s=8848315&ClientType=Printable

ray0311
09-14-2009, 02:01 PM
http://www.waff.com/global/story.asp?s=8848315&ClientType=Printable

Now he is what you call the Lawnmower man LOL!!

puppypaws
09-14-2009, 08:20 PM

Old news........but he was sentenced too lightly as far as I'm concerned. I'm also angry that his side kick had not been indicted yet.

9 months, that should really get his attention, a vacation on the taxpayers. :rolleyes:

bare spot
09-14-2009, 08:25 PM

see some people came forward and returned the stuff they bought of this guy.

zman2307
09-14-2009, 10:57 PM
Any of you guys install GPS trackers on your high dollar Mowers and trailers?
Posted via Mobile Device

puppypaws
09-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Any of you guys install GPS trackers on your high dollar Mowers and trailers?
Posted via Mobile Device

I could see that being a very worthwhile option offered by manufactures in today's economic situation. This economy breeds thieves and I'm pretty sure it will only get worse with time. :cry:

Juan91
09-30-2009, 08:30 PM
at least they caught him. i hope everyone gets their stuff back

nice choice of your 48" mower :)

happy my stuff hasn't been stolen

loupiscopolandscaping
01-15-2010, 04:50 PM
70 What the Hell!!! something so stupid, now he might die of old age in jail. what an ass lol

albhb3
01-15-2010, 04:59 PM
guys dont we all want to move that good at 70!!!

MikeKle
01-21-2010, 08:45 AM
I hear more and more of these older people stealing nowadays. Its crazy! I guess they just get so desperate for money, they just resort to stealing? If I wouldve caught him trying to hook up to my trailer, I wouldve waited awhile to call the cops and give him a good beat down, I dont care how old he is, if he is old enough to play those games, he is old enough to handle the consequences! I just wonder where he was storing all this stuff? And no one thought it odd he had like 16 trailers, and all those ATVS and mowers, and he was not mowing grass?

puppypaws
01-21-2010, 10:03 PM
I hear more and more of these older people stealing nowadays. Its crazy! I guess they just get so desperate for money, they just resort to stealing? If I wouldve caught him trying to hook up to my trailer, I wouldve waited awhile to call the cops and give him a good beat down, I dont care how old he is, if he is old enough to play those games, he is old enough to handle the consequences! I just wonder where he was storing all this stuff? And no one thought it odd he had like 16 trailers, and all those ATVS and mowers, and he was not mowing grass?

Yes, people realized it was odd and there was more than likely something wrong, they are just to lazy and scared to get involved unless they are forced into it. There thought process is if it doesn't involve me, I'm not putting myself out on a limb to help someone else. This country is going to
hel? in a hand basket.

froglawn
02-09-2010, 06:32 PM
good to hear that the stuff got returned to it's owner!

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-09-2010, 12:07 AM
i feel bad for the people who got the stuff stolen and all.....but damn. the people who came forward and gave the stuff back lost the money they paid for the z-turns and the mowers! theyll never see that money back at all. this guy probly doesnt have a job and will die before paying back a dime in restitution. all in all he wins. its sad but true. the crappy thing is that the people who bought the stolen goods and were nice enough to return it, woulda been better off just keepin the stuff they bought. the court systems are all screwed up. i love how they say that the cops put soooo many hours into finding the stuff! haha i garuantee they didnt lift a finger while everyone was reporting all the stuff missing, only when they pulled him over did they start lookin for the stuff.

shooterm
05-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Hehe I should look into this closer. The guy that owned my house last year had alzheimer's bad and used to steal the lawnmowers/trimmers out of peoples garages during the day. They even put inside keyed locks around the house to stop his wandering. I was told he moved down to a nursing home in Florida.