PDA

View Full Version : "Landing" pictures/help

BostonBull
08-31-2008, 12:43 AM
I am trying to come up with a few ideas for the "landing" area off my deck. I have a nice granite step that I love and want to incorporate. The problem is thats all the builder put here. I step down right to my lawn. This area is heavily compacted from us and the dogs, and grass will not grow. We also have an elevation change of almost a foot from the yard to the step, that he though was fine to just grade away, I hate it.

Any ideas or photos of completed jobs similar to mine are greatly appreciated!!!! If you feel more comfortable helping through PM that is great as well!

Petey's Landscaping
08-31-2008, 02:02 PM
I would consider a paver patio, it should cost around 10.00-15.00 a sqft. Type in belgard patio that should give you some ideas.

BostonBull
08-31-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks!

I am just looking for something that is approximately 8x6 or 9x7. Would a Patio this small look odd?

What is the pros opinion on doing an area the size I outlined above, with Granite paver's, and filled with crushed granite stone? Too basic/tacky? I want something that will not detract from my yard/house or hurt resale.

Thanks!!!!

Petey's Landscaping
08-31-2008, 04:36 PM
Best thing to do is lay out the area with a water hose and look and see if that is going to be big enough. The problem with having crushed gravel is that it will end up in the yard. You are looking at about 150.00 in materials regardless of what type of paver you choose(about 70sqft. pavers, gravel, and sand) If you want to take a look at my website: www.peteyslandscaping.com under the hardscape section I have a few example that might give you an idea. Another idea is to have a few large pieces if flagstone with sod in between the gaps for a nice transition to the lawn.

BostonBull
04-12-2009, 06:47 PM
I am going to tackle this in a week or so.

heres the plan, I MIGHT take the 'hump' away where the granite step is and install 1 wooden step, and then have the granite step beyond that.

Then I am thinking crushed stone edged with cobbles, or a "spaced" flagstone patio type area......

Thoughts?

Mid-Ohio Scaper
04-12-2009, 09:51 PM
If I were you I'd rip the damn deck right the hell out and do it all in pavers. That deck's gonna rot anyway why not just do it right the first time. I'd do a couple different levels to the patio after ripping the deck out. Has the potential to be a very cool project.

I checked out Peteys landscaping website under hardscape................. all I have to say is wow, I can't believe customers are paying for your paver/retaining wall work. The picture of the circle pattern taken December of 06' is absolutely hideous. Petey needs to learn how to build a wall in a circle to match the paver pattern. Yikes!

BostonBull
04-12-2009, 10:03 PM
If I were you I'd rip the damn deck right the hell out and do it all in pavers. That deck's gonna rot anyway why not just do it right the first time. I'd do a couple different levels to the patio after ripping the deck out. Has the potential to be a very cool project.

I agree, but this is a condo, and were only here for a year or two more.....I am looking for something simple, and cheap. An easy solution to compaction, and piss stains.

Mid-Ohio Scaper
04-12-2009, 10:16 PM
I agree, but this is a condo, and were only here for a year or two more.....I am looking for something simple, and cheap. An easy solution to compaction, and piss stains.

Hell, if you're only gonna be there a year or two just deal with it, tie your dogs up further out in the yard to cut back on the piss stains, and save your money for a real project at the house I'm guessing you're gonna buy????

BostonBull
03-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Reviving this thread for some new ideas.

We wanted to sell this spring, but the market still isnt up enough.

I am going to do some Buxus microphylla 'Green velvet' around the deck. In front of the A/C unit 3 Hydrangea macrophylla 'Endless Summer'. Around the A/C unit I am going to put down some crushed stone.

I am on the fence of what to do where we step off the deck. I know crushed stone wont work due to the fact of it being kicked into the lawn by humans and dogs.
What if I removed the burm of earth that is keeping the granite step up near the deck, installed a wooden step in its place, sink the piece of granite into the ground beneath the wooden step, and then did some large bluestone/flagstones sunken into the lawn so I could still mow over them?

I dont want to spend the $$$$ on a patio, and my yard is small, 50' from the deck to the fence, and roughly 100' wide. It goes down along the house too, that area is 25x25 roughly.

Any help is appreciated!!!!

BostonBull
03-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Also

The dogs are no longer tied, like in the picture above, we have installed a fence so they are free torun around where ever they please.

PatriotLandscape
03-14-2010, 10:43 AM
go with Ilex crenata or Ilex glabra. Buxus smell like cat urine.

PatriotLandscape
03-14-2010, 10:48 AM
the grass not growing there is from dog urine not compaction. move the dogs then you will get your lawn back.

BostonBull
03-14-2010, 11:12 AM
the grass not growing there is from dog urine not compaction. move the dogs then you will get your lawn back.

Unfoprtunately this isnt an option, my yard is 1500 sq/ft

BostonBull
03-14-2010, 11:13 AM
go with Ilex crenata or Ilex glabra. Buxus smell like cat urine.

I want something that will stay small, say 3' tall. Not familiar with crenata, but ill check them out. Thanks!

PatriotLandscape
03-14-2010, 11:23 AM
its a jap. holly dozens of cultivars for any size needed. they also recover from winter damage way faster than boxwood.

NCGreenWorx
03-14-2010, 11:38 AM
I like your idea of sinking the stones in the ground and mowing over them. I think that is the easiest to do vs putting in a base for a patio. When you get your stones, lay them out in the grass where you want them for a few days and they will imprint on the grass a template for you to use when you dig out the area to sink them in.

Good luck

BostonBull
03-14-2010, 02:56 PM
I like your idea of sinking the stones in the ground and mowing over them. I think that is the easiest to do vs putting in a base for a patio. When you get your stones, lay them out in the grass where you want them for a few days and they will imprint on the grass a template for you to use when you dig out the area to sink them in.

Good luck

genius idea, cheers!