PDA

View Full Version : thinking of getting back to the service side again

bug-guy
08-31-2008, 10:46 AM
i'm currently certified in ghp and termite and taking the l&o test in early sept.
i'm wondering if things might get alittle better after the election. i worked for a company for along time, and now i work in the supply side. i'm giving some tought to trying it myself.

PSUTURFGEEK
08-31-2008, 08:42 PM
It sounds good if your'e making the move simply for a change of scenery but if you are doing it because you think the industry is doing any better on the service side of the field then I wouldn't bother, as you know the supplyers are taking the same margin/cost and sales hits as the guys in thge field, I think either way it's a waiting game at this point.

bug-guy
09-01-2008, 04:51 PM
your right and yes i do want a change of scenery. i don't really like working in a big corp. and seeing what passes thru as far as knowledge and mission plans leaves me wanting to go back. i'd probably still be there if the company i worked for didn't sell out.

rcreech
09-01-2008, 06:24 PM
I love what I do everyday....but I think you have picked a horrible time to get in! It isn't near as fun as when I started just 5 years ago!

Funny thing is I am trying my hardest to get out!

I think this industry's "good ol days" are over!

I am going to get out of the turf side as soon as possible and go 100% ag. Farming is always needed and lawns are just a luxury!

JMO!

bug-guy
09-01-2008, 06:27 PM
i going to start small (like i have a choice) i will take all the lawns i can get (fert /squirt) and try to build my ghp and termite. thinking about spring 2009

Ric
09-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Bug Guy

I dropped Termite because of Insurance costs. I really don't like Termite work and found Pretreats to be so price competitive as to not have any profit. Best advice I can give you is Yellow page advertisement and Networking with Lawn Boys. However I Know a guy that placed an Yellow page ad thinking he would pass the test. The Book came out and he failed the test and was fined for unlicensed pest control.

I fine most Lawn Boys are jerks who don't understand the concept of business networking. They think you are stealing their work. They have no Idea what networking with you will do for their business. I network with several real Businessmen who have grown both their business and mine. Because these Guy are real businessmen they even network with each other. Just this Week Dave send work he didn't do, to Juan. The customer is happy with Dave because his problem was solved by talking with Dave his service provider. Juan is a professional and knows he gets more business by Networking with Dave and not trying to steal his customer.

bug-guy
09-01-2008, 10:37 PM
ric
it's good to here from you again.
i have already started to network with landscapers and cutters. i plan to only do liquid termidor with retreat only contracts any pretreats would be later and bora-care types if i did them. i agree pretreats are usually given away or done improperly. ghp and l&o will be the meat
my goal is next spring that gives me time to prep.
i don't think the test will be a problem, i'm not cocky just confident in my knowlegde and studies... it's not practicle knowledge but book knowlegde that will pass the test. and ready in both.

of course plan b is to win the lottery

coiclawn
09-02-2008, 05:27 PM
If you are in the supply side as you put it then you know that fert. prices have practically doubled in the last 2 months. Not sure where you are but here in the orlando area the l&o market is flooded and a lot of the big guys are literally giving away one service to get another. Good luck with the test , if you studied at all you'll do fine , the test is not that difficult.

bug-guy
09-02-2008, 09:37 PM
thanks yes i'm aware of the fert increases and have planned for it. i work for a company and have watched the $ double for fert.(by the way another increase is due this month). i have thought this to death, i don't like what i do now ( not the company but immediate bosses make it tough), i think an owner \operator can do better than some of the middle to large companies. if you can buy a bag of fert for 22.00 and get 12000+ sqft out of and charge 32.00 for 6000 sq ft(dry fert 2x yr,fert and squirt program in fl)
and claim you can't make $. that's 11.00 outlay and 32 in.
now if i had a large company with a big support staff yes it would be tough.
i think down here people are tried of the big company a different guy all the time.
and are willing to try a small company. the key is small... not inexperienced

rcreech
09-02-2008, 10:20 PM
thanks yes i'm aware of the fert increases and have planned for it. i work for a company and have watched the $ double for fert.(by the way another increase is due this month). i have thought this to death, i don't like what i do now ( not the company but immediate bosses make it tough), i think an owner \operator can do better than some of the middle to large companies. if you can buy a bag of fert for 22.00 and get 12000+ sqft out of and charge 32.00 for 6000 sq ft(dry fert 2x yr,fert and squirt program in fl)
and claim you can't make $. that's 11.00 outlay and 32 in.
now if i had a large company with a big support staff yes it would be tough.
i think down here people are tried of the big company a different guy all the time.
and are willing to try a small company. the key is small... not inexperienced

Very good points! I think you are right! Small guys do better work and make more $$$$!

I remember when I made $23K right out of college and made a great living! Now for some reason.....I think I need to set the world on fire and buy a bunch of crap I don't need.

I am like you as I just want to make a good honest living! I say all that, yet I am very discouraged about the market right now!

When I quit my job last year....I had 120 accounts. I am now at 320 and feel like I can't lose any...but technically I made a very good living with only 120 accounts!

See what I am saying?

You will do fine with an attitude like that! That is the way I started out and as long as you have QUALITY and the CUSTOMER in mind....you will win!

gregory
09-02-2008, 10:25 PM
good luck bug guy...that would make a good selling point...telling the customer that you will be one on there yard spraying or fert there yard not some guy who was changing tires 3 weeks ago......