PDA

View Full Version : Work ideas

Bleed Green
08-31-2008, 12:38 PM
What kind of services do you guys offer? Can you give me some examples of different kinds of work that you do so i can get some more ideas of things I can potentially offer. I saw leaf cleanup mentioned for the fall time and snow removal mentioned for the winter, but are there any other things that could be added that I may not have thought of?

stevenf
08-31-2008, 12:43 PM
I am also going to try flowerbed cleanup, shrub trimming, Gutter cleaning. I am also going to charge my customers atleast twice during the winter for cleanups. It will be the same price as a cutting service which will help pull in a little bit of service.

billslawn89
08-31-2008, 12:52 PM
landscape weeding/spraying , lawn fertilization when permitted is something extra i do here in florida, along with shrub trimming. of course you need a license to do spraying and lawn fertilization!

mowerbrad
08-31-2008, 12:56 PM
Dethatching in the spring is a good one for me. Just by myself I can profit about $900+/- per day during dethatching time. I also do spring clean-ups. And of coarse during the fall I offer the fall clean-ups which is also good money. You could try offering areation, irrigation services, fertilizing services, instalations of certain things, hedge trimming. The more stuff you can offer the better. People would rather have one bill for their mowing, clean-ups, irrigation, and fertilizing...instead of having separate bills for each service.

Big Lebowski
08-31-2008, 01:12 PM
I am desperately looking to do some add ons. I like the gutter idea. I am mostly comfortable with ladders. I have one account that I noticed that the gutters have little maple trees growing in them - and lots of them. No kidding probably 50-100 from what I can see and maybe I could replant them and sell them to a nursery. The gutter stays wet and apparently it gets the right amount of sun.

So to properly clean a gutter. You use your hands, hose and maybe blower right?

What about outside windows? Anybody offering that? If you can handle a ladder for gutters, why not windows? Those that do it, what do you charge? Is it the same if they are ground level or up high? How about pressure washing siding? Does anybody do that in the fall or is that usually a spring thing?

billslawn89
08-31-2008, 04:43 PM
What about outside windows? Anybody offering that? If you can handle a ladder for gutters, why not windows?

LOL...do you do floors too? come on now! :laugh: i had to say that! i see alot of guys advertising for pressure washing around here, but i don't do that..i'm a LCO, not a window washer or pressure washer., but i guess you can do that, not me though. :laugh:

stevenf
08-31-2008, 05:18 PM
I dont really know much about gutter cleaning. My plans were a ladder and to use my hands. Still havent come up with a form of charging though.
I was thinking something like a $35.00 minimum. $.50-$1.00 per foot with discounts being a house that has gutters all four sides. I have an old pressure washer also that I may advertise for small jobs like walkways, courtyards and porches. I am also going to contact realestate agents that I know and try to land a few cleanup jobs here and there.

browningv308
09-04-2008, 06:58 PM
how about window cleaning to go along with the gutter cleaning or pressure washing concrete or changing air filters in the customers homes especially for the older customers --don't need to be licensed to do either of these

Big Lebowski
09-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Trust me billslawn89. If I had my way I would just mow. Seriously, I actually enjoy it quite a bit. This extra BS I can care less about. I did a seeding job yesterday and made about $65 an hour. I made $85 an hour doing the same person's hedges. I didn't really care for it that much at all. I'd rather show up every week and get $25 to mow. I'd rather see $400+ doing lawns all day than seeing the same amount on one job that took all day. That's just me.

It's true I'd rather cut grass than plant a tree. But I had read somewhere where somebody charged $5 a window. That could be quite a return for your time. And I need to be a little creative when it comes to making some cash right now. A guys gotta do what a guys gotta do. For example. I absolutely despise snow plowing but this weekend I will be coming up with my letters to see who I am getting back from last year. Ugh!

GreenAcresLC
09-04-2008, 09:10 PM
I've done gutters a few times this year. Mostly on my elderly customers. On an easy cleanout, with minimal buildup, my handheld blower worked wonders. If the roof isn't too steep, and if the customer ok's it, I'll walk the edge and blow all the mess out into the yard, then clean any junk off the roof. The roof walking is a bit iffy, you have to be sure footed, and the roof has to be in good shape. This is a lot quicker than up/down/move ladder, repeat.

I do believe that I've under priced this a few times, and have corrected since. I started out, for my mowing customers, at .10/ft of gutter, for easy blow-out cleanings. Meaning that a 40 x 40 house with gutters all around (160 ft of gutters) yields $16.00. Not a lot, but if I'm already there, it only takes a few minutes. If its just a gutter cleaning call, I've a $25 minimum for the service call, plus additional $.20/ft of gutter. So, on the same size house, that would be $25 for showing up, plus $32 for the cleaning, for a total of $57.00. I've thought of as much as $.50/ft on rough cleanings, but always seem to resort back to the .20/ft...still learning to be firm in my pricing.

I've offered exterior window cleaning, and house washing, but I've gotten no responses this year on those two. Hope this helps

westsweeper4
09-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Hope you dont get hurt cleaning out those gutters. Pretty sure my Liability insurance doesnt cover any of that stuff. But I guess if you dont have insurance go for it.

Big Lebowski
09-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Well your answer is in the word "Liability" - that covers others, not you.

Their homeowners will cover you. But if they are 100 years old, you just be out of luck there -- if they gave it up after paying off the mortgage.

westsweeper4
09-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Why would their homeowners insurance policy cover you? Ask any roof cleaning company if they have insurance and if the customers insurance will cover them.

Big Lebowski
09-04-2008, 10:42 PM
If you hire the neighbor kid to paint your house would your homeowners insurance cover him? Same thing. If they say they don't, a lawyer and a judge would be right there to tell them they do, but that would be an unnecessary route.

Let me tell you a quick story. A long time ago I wrecked my motorcycle nowhere near home. The lawyer wanted to know about my parents' homeowners insurance. The key points here are: My parents weren't there, I was an adult of over 21, it didn't happen at home but across town.

And one more thing to make my point. If a Johovas Witness slips and falls on your step, and you didn't invite him and you had a sign that said no trespassing. Who's paying the bill?

To be fully insured is to tell the person that hires you that your insurance company will take care of it if anything goes wrong. It is not to say, if I don't have insurance, I'm sh*t of of luck. I can assure you that if I don't have insurance and I lose an eye you bet your sweet ass that I'm going after the homeowners insurance - as anybody else should too.

westsweeper4
09-04-2008, 10:54 PM
If you are too stupid to not have insurance for your business, you deserve to live with the consequences. I would love to see you try and get a single penny out of a homeowners insurance policy when you hurt yourself.

Its people like you that bring this industry down by making comments like your last paragraph

Big Lebowski
09-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Look. You made out like you knew what you were talking about even though anybody with any sense or experience would know that what you were saying is oozing lack of knowledge and understanding. I simply tried to point it out to you in a way that you might understand.

So while you insist on talking out your ass and pretending you understand grown up matters. Try re-reading what I wrote.

I never said I didn't have insurance. And yes their insurance WOULD cover it. Why do YOU think THEY have insurance? Only if in case a tree falls?

So while you are feeling all warm and fuzzy about the fact you have "LIABILITY" read this definition: Liability Insurance Protection for a policyholder, up to an established figure, for amounts payable to another individual for personal (bodily) injury or property damage.

It says right there it covers OTHER PEOPLE not you dummy. Whats wrong with you?