PDA

View Full Version : License to use Roundup etc

landscapedlawns
08-31-2008, 05:14 PM
I just got started 1 month ago [Aug 1st]
I have a Gravely 48Z that I got new and 2 weedeaters, 2 blowers and a hedge trimmer + odds and ends tools.
I am now doung 6 lawns at an average of $35.00 a cut
I cut and weedeat and blow the debris off.
Now, I have an opportunity to take on 20 small residential landscape maintainance jobs from a real estate company friend.
One problem- I don't have a license to use Roundup and that's the biggest part of the job.
I did them once and then heard about the licensing thing.
Do most or all of you get a license for that?
Is it likely to be busted for it?
I am a Pressure Cleaner and work economy in my area { PORT CHARLOTTE} is so poor, I can't make a living anymore for myself and my son, who has worked with me 16 years now.
That's why I added the Lawn service work.
This license is kind of discouraging, as I see it is not a simple thing to get.
Thanks

stevenf
08-31-2008, 05:24 PM
I have a small sprayer that I use in driveway cracks and occationally spray in a flowerbed before I add mulch or something of that sort. I plan to get my license during the winter so I can offer fert in commercial acounts.

DaveinSWFL
08-31-2008, 05:29 PM
I work in Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area as well. I am licensed to spray round up and would recommend that you get licensed. Most of your weekly/year round accounts will expect weed control. I am starting my second year in the business. I am not an expert by any means, but if I can help you in any way PM me and I will see what I can do. Good luck to you.

ericmcj31
08-31-2008, 07:52 PM
Licensing varies state by state (and even could by county) but in GA there is a general standards test-that everyone has to pass (from round up sprayers, to pest control, to just about anyone that sprays some kind of potentially harmful liquid). Then there is the particular category. I believe the landscape one is called ornamental landscape and turf or something like that-I'm sure that FL ones are similar.

david shumaker
08-31-2008, 09:20 PM
In Virginia, I had to take a Core Test. This is a basic test about safety, etc. Then there are separate tests for different applications. For lawn chemical application I had to pass the Turf Test. For schrubs and plants you have to take the Oranamental Pest Control test. For applying chemicals along fence lines, roadways, etc. I have to take the test for Right of Way Pest Control. Also, you have to get a special license and prove that you are insured. If you don't get alot of request for chemical applications, it probably isn't worth the time and money to get certified. It would be better to sub the chemical work out. The Dept. of Agriculture in your state should have information and forms on the internet for getting certified.

Puddle of Oil
08-31-2008, 09:46 PM
i maintain a lawn at a local police dept and they dont seem to care that im using round up let alone any other chemical.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-31-2008, 11:04 PM
i maintain a lawn at a local police dept and they dont seem to care that im using round up let alone any other chemical.

do you know the law in ohio?

Horsepower Lawns
09-01-2008, 09:30 AM
do you know the law in ohio?

I was told you get to see inside the station for spraying with out a cert.

LushGreenLawn
09-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Keep in mind that the laws are Federal, not State laws. The States responsibility is enforce the Federal Laws. While there are slight variations from State to State because the States have the option to make the laws tougher, they cannot make them more lax. Everyone spraying anykind of pesticide on a lawn in the United States that they do not own is required to have a pesticide license.

Round-Up is a pesticide, as are all herbicides.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
09-01-2008, 10:18 AM
one more way for them to make money off the working class, anyone can buy it at lowes and use it what bullshit is that ................

howierd3866
09-01-2008, 01:00 PM
can't the customer buy the roundup and the sprayer and keep it at their place...and then you can spray it for them at no charge????? as long as you dont but it or have the equipment and get pay for doing it it legal here...but to buy it and keep it and the sprayer on your truck you mush have a lic. but before you get one you MUST have worked for another firm spraying with their lic for over 2 years thats the hard part if you only ever work for yourself..we get by with it because we only spray cable boxes...mailboxes..signs..guardrails...poles along rightofways with no plants in them...

Puddle of Oil
09-01-2008, 01:18 PM
im sorry i left out some info, my family owns the building, i do NOT use chemicals on any of my other lawns. just round up around that building.

Jimmy Dean
09-01-2008, 01:23 PM
one more way for them to make money off the working class, anyone can buy it at lowes and use it what bullshit is that ................

You're not kiddin! Anyway these suckweeds can make money off us they sometimes seem to take it to the MAX. Tax this, tax that, license this ,that and, oh yea, dont forget to license and tax that too!

Grits
09-01-2008, 01:34 PM
can't the customer buy the roundup and the sprayer and keep it at their place...and then you can spray it for them at no charge????? as long as you dont but it or have the equipment and get pay for doing it it legal here...but to buy it and keep it and the sprayer on your truck you mush have a lic. but before you get one you MUST have worked for another firm spraying with their lic for over 2 years thats the hard part if you only ever work for yourself..we get by with it because we only spray cable boxes...mailboxes..signs..guardrails...poles along rightofways with no plants in them...

No.

You don't have to have 2 years experience to get the Round Up license.

You CAN NOT spray anything you listed, even with the Round up license. You can only spray in beds.

If you are not licensed, you WILL get stopped. It is only a matter of time. I have been stopped twice in the past 2 years.
The license is easy to get. But the fine for not being licensed can shut your business down.

howierd3866
09-01-2008, 01:56 PM
no I dont need a lic. the ag. dept head in both towns pull the code up and I can spray what I said but you cant spray any plants you must have been with another spray company first for 2 years to be able to do beds and its not a regular roundup lic. you need for bed areas...

howierd3866
09-01-2008, 02:02 PM
its call an ornamantal lic...I dont do yards or gov building so there is no bed or plants but I fall under rightaway and as long as I just do what I posted I'm legal...

LushGreenLawn
09-01-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm with Grits, you DO need the license. Why do we know this? Because we are licensed and had to learn pesticide law as part of our training.

It does not matter who ownes the pesticide, it matters who is spraying it. Even if you are spraying for free, you still need a license if its not your property.

BTW, once your in this business for a while, you will lose the "Anything to get the govornment money" attitude. I wish homeowners had to go through some sort of certification/training. Homeowners have know idea how the products they use can impact the health of the people around them if they are not used properly.

howierd3866
09-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Well Lush and Grits you look like you are both right...bet it been awhile someone say that on here...anyway just read up on the roundup lic. it does look like I should have one....BUT quess what I don't spray anything so I legal but if I were to than yes...we weedeat everything just one of these days I want to spray well I been saying that for years...I did take a class because I was going to get my lic. but the treacher and he been treaching it for over 25 years said I dont need one..but took the class becasue I wanted at one time to get my aquatic lic. and needed the point for that lic. and yes in class he went over it than and said I didn't need it for roundup....because as he said what I wanted it for was what I told you I fell in the between the requirement...That was like 2 years ago and since then I asked the next county over and she said the same...thanks again not wanting to piss someone off on here because we are here to help each other and to learn...

ALC-GregH
09-01-2008, 08:01 PM
I don't need the hassle of getting busted for not having a license to spray so I just don't spray! :) I tell my customer's that if they need any places sprayed that they would have to do that their self. I'll eventually apply for them and do what I need to do to get them.

LushGreenLawn
09-02-2008, 06:57 AM
I would consider getting certified so you guys can spray. Its a great money maker, and the certification, as far as money goes, it really cheap. It will take some studying in your part, and a two day class/test, but usually they offer cthe test in the off season so you don't have to take time away from work.

jimithing31
09-02-2008, 08:23 AM
So who does the busting? Sheriffs office or Code enforcement??

Grits
09-02-2008, 12:39 PM
So who does the busting? Sheriffs office or Code enforcement??

Dept of Ag

Grits
09-02-2008, 12:42 PM
I can't believe the poll results. As of now, 50% of you guys are spraying illegally!!!???!!! You have no room to complain about other's not having insurance or paying taxes. I thought almost everyone on this forum wanted to run a legit biz? Or do you just want the appearance of a legit biz?

Marcos
09-02-2008, 01:05 PM

What ?
All you're worried about is a license to spray Roundup, etc?

After you get the study materials from the OSU Extension, you should be able to pass the test for this...after only MODERATE studying, over one weekend maybe!

Plus....it's not just about getting a "license"....it's also about adding credibility to the lawn and landscape chemical applicator's industry!

Did you know that lawn care services were ranked 2nd last, just above house painters and remodelers as the "most untrustworthy" home services vendors in America in 2005? :cry:

All you need to do is get certified in "core" (which is general safety stuff everyone has to take, regardless of what type of business they're in.)
You'll also need "6c", which is landscape "WEED CONTROL" only.

Here's a OSU Extension link you can access, then click on the seminar brochure, or register on-line if you want:

http://pested.osu.edu/commnewapp.htm

Maybe you can call around to some of your local landscape peers, who might have the study materials lying around.
(Sometimes it takes awhile for OSU to get it out in the mail, and I'm not sure if all the study material is all on-line for viewing.)

Marcos
09-02-2008, 01:11 PM

I'll bet they'd care if you were using donut grease to kill the weeds! :laugh:

Get Legal!

(I repeat.....:))

After you get the study materials from the OSU Extension, you should be able to pass the test for this...after only MODERATE studying, over one weekend maybe!

Plus....it's not just about getting a "license"....it's also about adding credibility to the lawn and landscape chemical applicator's industry!

Did you know that lawn care services were ranked 2nd last, just above house painters and remodelers as the "most untrustworthy" home services vendors in America in 2005?

All you need to do is get certified in "core" (which is general safety stuff everyone has to take, regardless of what type of business they're in.)

Here's a OSU Extension link you can access, then click on the seminar brochure, or register on-line if you want:

Maybe you can call around to some of your local landscape peers, who might have the study materials lying around.
(Sometimes it takes awhile for OSU to get it out in the mail, and I'm not sure if all the study material is all on-line for viewing.)

Green Team Landscaping
09-02-2008, 01:14 PM
I didn't even know you needed a liscence to spray that stuff. I thought you can just buy it in a store.

Marcos
09-02-2008, 03:00 PM
I didn't even know you needed a liscence to spray that stuff. I thought you can just buy it in a store.

You DON'T need a license to buy it.

(In Ohio) you need a license to APPLY it....IF you are applying it "for hire".

That's why no pesticide vendor is going to "check you" for any license, unless you're trying to buy restricted-use pesticides, a record of which each vendor MUST report to that individual state every year.

Like Grits said, the responsibility of enforcing pesticide laws falls on the Dept of Ag, and the agents they hire to patrol given areas, OFTEN in unmarked cars.
And although these agents sometimes cover vast territories, and are seemingly "overwhelmed" as far as the workload is concerned, they ususally are very good at responding to timely 'tips' given to them by other landscapers and/or lawn care personnel in the field.

And....if you ever have somebody complain about alleged pesticide exposure, a sick dog going to the vet because of pesticide exposure, etc...

KATY BAR THE DOOR !!!!!!
Your local pesticide agent will be'a knockin' at your door the next mornin'...just like a duck on a june bug! :laugh:

And the very 1st question out of his/her mouth will be:

"May I see your valid state of_______ pesticide license, please"

Green Team Landscaping
09-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Oh right.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
09-02-2008, 06:50 PM
What ?
All you're worried about is a license to spray Roundup, etc?

Did you know that lawn care services were ranked 2nd last, just above house painters and remodelers as the "most untrustworthy" home services vendors in America in 2005? :cry:

if we are using the same round up that any weekend home owner is we sould not need to be certified because most of us will spray better then most home owners............................. way for them to make money off of me.......................... we are not spraying agent orange.........

landscapedlawns
09-02-2008, 07:29 PM
I would prefer to operate completely within the law.
The only thing I care to spray is Roundup.
I will look into the info you gave me and try to get whatever is needed to just spray roundup.
If a customer wants anything else sprayed, i'll tell them they will have to do that themselves.
In the meantime, can I spray Vinagar, dish liquid and salt mixtures to kill weeds?
Thanksif we are using the same round up that any weekend home owner is we sould not need to be certified because most of us will spray better then most home owners............................. way for them to make money off of me.......................... we are not spraying agent orange.........

LushGreenLawn
09-02-2008, 08:14 PM
We may not be spraying agent orange, but some of this stuff in its concentrated form is not far off. This is why you need to be certified, so you can learn which pesticides are more dangerous, and limit the exposure to yourself and the environment. Your attitude is the type that reinforces the need for us to be certified.

BTW, if you are spraying for hire, and telling the customers you are spraying to kill weeds, it dosen't matter what you spray, even if its vinegar and soap, you need a license. I may not agree with this part, but its the law.

landscapedlawns
09-02-2008, 09:19 PM
I said I wanted to get the info on getting licensed to spray Roundup and would use the vinagar solution in the meantime.
You see that as a bad attitude?
Sounds to me like anyone who doesn't do just as you do and just as you say, has a bad attitude and operates business wrongly.
Your posts stand out as someone who thinks he is the only one who can be right.
There are lots of helpful people here though!We may not be spraying agent orange, but some of this stuff in its concentrated form is not far off. This is why you need to be certified, so you can learn which pesticides are more dangerous, and limit the exposure to yourself and the environment. Your attitude is the type that reinforces the need for us to be certified.

BTW, if you are spraying for hire, and telling the customers you are spraying to kill weeds, it dosen't matter what you spray, even if its vinegar and soap, you need a license. I may not agree with this part, but its the law.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
09-02-2008, 11:35 PM
all i am saying if anyone can buy and spay there own yard with it we sould beable to do the same ...................not buying it at a chemical store ........................

Marcos
09-03-2008, 12:14 AM
all i am saying if anyone can buy and spay there own yard with it we sould beable to do the same ...................not buying it at a chemical store ........................

J.A.G, I understand completely what you're saying.
Plenty of homeowners have no clue what they're doing when it comes to applying pesticides...and that's why many hire services like YOU.

When it comes to being a 'professional' at anything any 'trade' you decide to do, the FIRST line of reason would be to get some type of working education about the ins and outs of what you're ACTUALLY doing, the safety aspects, the LEGAL ramifications, before you (with your also un-trained crew) start running around in pickup trucks with chemicals!

Like LushGreen indicated....
It's MUCH, MUCH more about gaining credibility for you and your business, then it is some kind of State 'money pit'.

Besides, it's really NOT that hard at ALL to pass the Ohio 'core' and '6c' tests!

Marcos
09-03-2008, 12:33 AM
..........not buying it at a chemical store ........................

It doesn't matter where you buy Roundup, or what concentration % you get, J.A.G.

Home Depot, Lowes, John Deere / Lesco, Ace Hardware, Kmart, Big Lots, Tractor Supply, etc. etc...
They're all the SAME in the eyes of the state Ag agent.

What matters to him is whether you're applying the chemicals "for hire" or not.

If he stops you at a job site, and finds evidence that you're indeed 'invoicing' the address your parked in front of...he'll be looking for your state license!

Some folks try to get around all this...by having the customer buy the fertilizer / pesticide, or whatever.
But the same thing applies!
Yes, you could apply these homeowner-supplied pesticides.
But that DOESN'T exempt you from needing a State pesticide license, even if you were completely stupid, and tried to duck the agent by doing it for NO LABOR CHARGE whatsoever!

landscapedlawns
09-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Spraying any chemical for a living, you are not likely to think "If 2 1/2 oz per gal works 5 will be twice as good" Like some homeowners may. Even without formal license training, you are going to learn more about what you are doing in advance and on the job than a homeowner. End result will be- the homeowner is gonna buy this stuff and spray it anyway, so why not their lawn man? A few required reading brochures would put us miles ahead of most homeowners using this stuff. Of course the needed reading material is on the labels anyway. All that considered, that does not invalidate the law, so i'm gonna get licensed to spray roundup.I do believe it is partially for the govt to get more of our $ too.all i am saying if anyone can buy and spay there own yard with it we sould beable to do the same ...................not buying it at a chemical store ........................

Frontier-Lawn
09-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Dept of Ag

from what ric told me a few years ago sarasota has no one for this are since the guy left. i dont know if they got a new person yet thou.

lot0210
09-03-2008, 11:50 AM
An advantage to having the lic is the access to better chems from lesco Eli lilly and the like and at a reduced cost becuse you can buy it in concentrated forms insted of severely diluted home cheapo products

Marcos
09-03-2008, 01:10 PM
An advantage to having the lic is the access to better chems from lesco Eli lilly and the like and at a reduced cost becuse you can buy it in concentrated forms insted of severely diluted home cheapo products

This.... is ABSOLUTELY not correct!

Ohio Pesticide Licences are NEVER "checked" at vendors like Deere/Lesco.
Nor would the possession of one give ANY buyer "access" to lower pricing.

The only way that ANY chemical vendor is legally obligated to get involved with any 'licensing' issues, is with logging the sale of Restricted Use Products to specific RUP- licensed personnel, and then...at a certain point in time at the end of the year, send the completed RUP log to the Dept of Ag in their respective state.

lot0210, I DO see where you're coming from! :waving:

It is generally true that pros will find higher active ingredient % (AI%) in the chemicals at places like Lesco, Shemin Nursery, etc.
However...this DOESN'T preclude these vendors from selling many of these same products to their weekend "homeowner following", at, quite often, an INFLATED PRICE :rolleyes: compared to their lawn care and landscape 'regulars', who, because of market pressure, buy at the (generally) lower "wholesale" tiers.

LushGreenLawn
09-03-2008, 05:20 PM
I said I wanted to get the info on getting licensed to spray Roundup and would use the vinagar solution in the meantime.
You see that as a bad attitude?
Sounds to me like anyone who doesn't do just as you do and just as you say, has a bad attitude and operates business wrongly.
Your posts stand out as someone who thinks he is the only one who can be right.
There are lots of helpful people here though!

I was commenting about JAG's attitide, not yours. Only the last part of my post applied to you. I should have been more clear.

When it comes to pesticide laws BTW I usually am right. Not trying to be the Local Know it All, but I have studied and done alot of research on pesticide law, and the pesticide part of the green industry in general. Because I have spent so much time and energy doing things the right way, and finding out why the laws are what they are, the people that operate illegally (and know it) really irk me. I do not include you in this group, I applaud you for wanting to learn.

ed2hess
09-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Does having a licenses to spray roundup affect liability insurance rates?

landscapedlawns
09-03-2008, 06:55 PM
I misunderstood you.
Do you by any chance know just what is required by Florida law for me to spray Roundup?
I have these 22 jobs and started out using Roundup, but after coming here, I stopped and [doing the best I can to comply] started using Vinagar, dish liquid and salt combo. It seems to work about equally well.
I did half a job with Roundup and 1/2 with the vinagar and it all looks about equally dead.
Thanks, ChuckI was commenting about JAG's attitide, not yours. Only the last part of my post applied to you. I should have been more clear.

When it comes to pesticide laws BTW I usually am right. Not trying to be the Local Know it All, but I have studied and done alot of research on pesticide law, and the pesticide part of the green industry in general. Because I have spent so much time and energy doing things the right way, and finding out why the laws are what they are, the people that operate illegally (and know it) really irk me. I do not include you in this group, I applaud you for wanting to learn.

lot0210
09-03-2008, 07:03 PM
This.... is ABSOLUTELY not correct!

Ohio Pesticide Licences are NEVER "checked" at vendors like Deere/Lesco.
Nor would the possession of one give ANY buyer "access" to lower pricing.

The only way that ANY chemical vendor is legally obligated to get involved with any 'licensing' issues, is with logging the sale of Restricted Use Products to specific RUP- licensed personnel, and then...at a certain point in time at the end of the year, send the completed RUP log to the Dept of Ag in their respective state.

lot0210, I DO see where you're coming from! :waving:

It is generally true that pros will find higher active ingredient % (AI%) in the chemicals at places like Lesco, Shemin Nursery, etc.
However...this DOESN'T preclude these vendors from selling many of these same products to their weekend "homeowner following", at, quite often, an INFLATED PRICE :rolleyes: compared to their lawn care and landscape 'regulars', who, because of market pressure, buy at the (generally) lower "wholesale" tiers.

I see what you are saying but I was refering to rup chems like spike (soil starlent ) and various fungicides. Often the rup have a better selection for specific problems than anything you can find for general use and access to these lets you do a more professional job with better results.

Grits
09-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Does having a licenses to spray roundup affect liability insurance rates?

It absolutely does. :cry:

Grits
09-03-2008, 11:04 PM
from what ric told me a few years ago sarasota has no one for this are since the guy left. i dont know if they got a new person yet thou.

IDK, But I do know that they have been experiencing cut-backs statewide.

LushGreenLawn
09-04-2008, 06:15 AM
It absolutely does. :cry:

My experience was different. It did not affect my rate.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
09-06-2008, 03:18 PM
I was commenting about JAG's attitide, not yours. Only the last part of my post applied to you. I should have been more clear.

you dont worry about me and my attitide :hammerhead: you dont know me ....................... i weedwhip my weeds or pull i dont belive in pesticides .....................................all i was saying is if anyone can get it then anyone sould be able to spay it ...... i think they need to make it harder to buy ...............................:nono:

pdenney11
09-06-2008, 04:03 PM
I actually just got the study manual for the Ornamental and Turf Pest Control section of the license. I really want to get this license so that I can offer a weed control program. I have had a lot of people ask me if I can kill the weeds in the yard and flower beds. Unfortunately I have to tell these clients NO. I think this will be a great service to offer through my business. Does anyone know the cost involved in getting the license, and will I be ok if I just study the manual and not attend the voluntary training seminar? The place offering the seminar is 2 hrs away and I dont want to waste my time and money by going to something that is not neccessary.