PDA

View Full Version : Lesco ride-on leaving streaks

smokestackit07
08-31-2008, 10:26 PM
hey everyone, new to the website, love it, I have a lesco ride on spreader that is leaving streaks in lawns. the spreader leaves streaks with the deflecter and third whole closed and open as well as spreading wide open. I have been spreading in both transport and app. speed. and still get streaks. The spreader only streaks beneath the unit(it seems like the fert is falling off the spreader wheel.) Anyone had this problem. Is the spreader not going fast enough ??????. Please Help.

pinto n mwr
08-31-2008, 10:41 PM
had the same problem this spring. Reasons for streaking when using HPS

1. Speed-even though there is transport and application speed, the speed is relative to what terrain you're dealing with and what type of product. I try to go as fast as possible and adjust the opening accordingly

2.Third hole- if you have the thing open then you are flawed from the start. The HPS is flawed just like the Lesco push spreader. With the third hole opened it has a problem with hitting the undercarraige, frame and deflecting to the middle of the spreader, thus leaving a streak.

3. Since this problem with hitting the frame always occurs no matter if you have the third hole closed or not, properties that have been neglested on the N will tend to streak when using and HPS than others.

Have experienced this with numerous properties that the first of my apps using causes stripes but every apps since no such thing. Weird but true!

bug-guy
08-31-2008, 10:47 PM
check that the agitator as not fallen off causing the botom to rub on the impellar causing the fert not to spread evenly. in the inside of the hopper is a tension clip that hold the agitator on and also hold the mechanism off the impellar. there was a problem with them. i use to put a small ammount of expoxy on it to keep it from flying off

jbturf
09-01-2008, 12:34 AM
same problem with my hps, believe its a design flaw,

i only use mine to spread lime/seed/gyp/007/fungicide etc...
but not ferts- due to this poor accuracy

Jason Rose
09-01-2008, 01:24 AM
Streaking = Operator error. Not sure how one would think that the Lesco spreaders are "flawed" since they are probably the most used spreader in the industry, and MOST people use them with no problems with streaking at all. Proper overlap, keeping the spreader holes and spinner plate clean, and proper calibration, you won't get streaks.

Don't leave the 3rd hole closed except for "edging", leaving it closed while spreading all the time and it won't be throwing enough to one side.

Biggest tip with any of the ride-on spreaders, don't spread "back and forth" like you would with a push spreader, travel around and around, racetrack style basically. This will eliminate the streaking potential, if the spreader is throwing heavier on one side it won't matter. Also they are just easier to operate when you only have to make 90 deg. turns instead of cranking them 180 degrees and getting lined back up and spaced out just right.

tremor
09-01-2008, 01:41 AM
Streaking = Operator error. Not sure how one would think that the Lesco spreaders are "flawed" since they are probably the most used spreader in the industry, and MOST people use them with no problems with streaking at all. Proper overlap, keeping the spreader holes and spinner plate clean, and proper calibration, you won't get streaks.

Don't leave the 3rd hole closed except for "edging", leaving it closed while spreading all the time and it won't be throwing enough to one side.

Biggest tip with any of the ride-on spreaders, don't spread "back and forth" like you would with a push spreader, travel around and around, racetrack style basically. This will eliminate the streaking potential, if the spreader is throwing heavier on one side it won't matter. Also they are just easier to operate when you only have to make 90 deg. turns instead of cranking them 180 degrees and getting lined back up and spaced out just right.

There are two viable options:

1) Get an eggcase type of collection system. Make multiple passes with fertilizer. Collect & weigh the results. Adjust the third hole until everything is perfect....OR.....much easier....

2) Do what Jason says. Most rotary spreaders (and especially the Lesco which is exaggerated in the HPS) are imbalanced. Lesco rotaries tend to spread the correct amount of granules too far on the right side. The same amount of material tends to land closer on the left side which then becomes the "heavy" side. Great for trimming if the user knows what they're doing. If you never go straight back & forth (left edges meeting left/right edge meeting right) then the light & heavy edges will always meet & correct each other.

rcreech
09-01-2008, 08:10 AM
I have had some issues in the past and it was due to the 3rd hole.

Best advice I can give you is CALIBRATE it using the collection pan method!

It takes time to do...but is well worth the exercise.

I have always gone "back and fourth" with my PG and have not had any trouble. If the spreader is set correctly, then there shouldn't be any problems!

J.J.
09-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Change out your impeller. After a while the impeller gets worn and causes you to leave a streak where you drop the fert. I had the same problem and changed out the impeller and all was well again.

teeca
09-01-2008, 10:09 AM
going around in circles not only helps in streaking department, but also speeds your application up. driving in a circle at a consistant speed, rather then slowing to make a return path. you can take alot of time off a application by doing this.

jbturf
09-01-2008, 10:25 AM
AS im spreading on the hps , you can actually here the product
hitting the underside of the machine- and as a result falling
right underneath towards the right side of your tracks.

i have tried several tweaks to get it right, but im extremely anal
on my spread pattern, especially with ferts, and could not get it
to a place i was fully comfortable with. spreading around in a circle
seemed like a bandaid to me, and not always practical.

i had consider, though never attempted, using a platter from
a spyker spreader- with the 2 curved arms
to see if that helped

ive never had a spreader that was perfect right out of the box,
they all need a little tweaking and adjustment (if provided) to
get them to where your happy spreading. even on my PG ultra,
i had to actually enlarge one of the holes in the bottom of
the spreader, to acheive an even dispersion of granules.

just my 2cents
Josh

RigglePLC
09-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Smoke,
Above advice is good.
Its simple really. Clean the fert residue from the underside of machine and the impeller. Make sure impeller is spinning fast and the impeller pin is not broken. Get 10 paper plates and space them 24 inches apart. Drive the spread over them. Count the particles of fert, and determine pattern. Make a chart-repeat. Do not attempt this during humid weather. Different fertilizers may spread different.
Remember the left hole controls spread to the right and the right hole controls the pattern to the left.

Use duct tape and close off the left or right hole slightly and check the pattern--until you get it right. Use whatever adjustments are available. Open up the regulator a little so you are still calibrated to the correct amount. Since duct tape will not stick except on a newly cleaned spreader, you may have to screw tiny adjustable pieces of plastic near the hole you need to control. Loosen the screw and rotate to close off more or less of the problem hole.

Feel free to use a grinder to make one hole a little bigger or the metal slide a little smaller on one side.

Or... do like I did, and put tape over both side holes and just use the center hole--opened up to about 3/4ths of an inch.

If you get it within 10 percent three times in a row--you are probably the most accurate applicator within 1000 miles. You are right to want accurate-perfectly even results. Let us know how it works out.

rcreech
09-01-2008, 03:18 PM
going around in circles not only helps in streaking department, but also speeds your application up. driving in a circle at a consistant speed, rather then slowing to make a return path. you can take alot of time off a application by doing this.

I guess it wouldn't help me much...as I don't ever let out of the throttle when I turn!

rcreech
09-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Smoke,
Above advice is good.
Its simple really. Clean the fert residue from the underside of machine and the impeller. Make sure impeller is spinning fast and the impeller pin is not broken. Get 10 paper plates and space them 24 inches apart. Drive the spread over them. Count the particles of fert, and determine pattern. Make a chart-repeat. Do not attempt this during humid weather. Different fertilizers may spread different.
Remember the left hole controls spread to the right and the right hole controls the pattern to the left.

Use duct tape and close off the left or right hole slightly and check the pattern--until you get it right. Use whatever adjustments are available. Open up the regulator a little so you are still calibrated to the correct amount. Since duct tape will not stick except on a newly cleaned spreader, you may have to screw tiny adjustable pieces of plastic near the hole you need to control. Loosen the screw and rotate to close off more or less of the problem hole.

Feel free to use a grinder to make one hole a little bigger or the metal slide a little smaller on one side.

Or... do like I did, and put tape over both side holes and just use the center hole--opened up to about 3/4ths of an inch.

If you get it within 10 percent three times in a row--you are probably the most accurate applicator within 1000 miles. You are right to want accurate-perfectly even results. Let us know how it works out.

Remember when doing the collection pan mehthod you ALWAYS have to go the SAME DIRECTION! You have to drive over the pans and go around and go the same way each pass.

Otherwise you will not learn anything as you are just "averaging" out spread pattern.

lawn king
09-03-2008, 07:08 AM
When the top of the impella shows heavy wear you can get some streaking, look closely at the area of plastic inside the square collar.

treemonkey
09-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Here's a link showing the pan calibration method. There are also links within this article worth clicking:

http://www.members.aol.com/groundkprs/calibration.html

Having "cut my teeth" on the whole calibration process with Tee jet sprayers, I was shocked when I came to this site to learn how many people apply granular fertilizers by "seat of the pants", "good enough" calibration.

Uneven throw patterns are a characteristic flaw of rotary spreaders. The Vicon occillating arm type spreader supposedly does away with the uneven pattern.

It would be great if we could fund someone to test the Anderson, Lesco, and Spyker spreaders against each other to compare spread patterns.

americanlawn
09-03-2008, 07:56 PM
Hey RC -- the only time I remember you letting off the throttle was in Minneapolis. :laugh: (riding a "you know what" instead of a "you know what") :laugh:

I like Riggle's post too. When I tried a LESCO ride-on, it spread evenly with no problems. As far as riding in circles, that seems impractical, and it's designed to turn into the next pass for proper overlap.

I know 2 local guys who use them, and they like 'em. So if there's a problem with spread pattern, I would think there's an easy way to fix it. BTW you don't want to use a Spyker impeller cuz it will throw to the right even more (2 of 4 fins are curved).

I guess it wouldn't help me much...as I don't ever let out of the throttle when I turn!

rcreech
09-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Hey RC -- the only time I remember you letting off the throttle was in Minneapolis. :laugh: (riding a "you know what" instead of a "you know what") :laugh:

I like Riggle's post too. When I tried a LESCO ride-on, it spread evenly with no problems. As far as riding in circles, that seems impractical, and it's designed to turn into the next pass for proper overlap.

I know 2 local guys who use them, and they like 'em. So if there's a problem with spread pattern, I would think there's an easy way to fix it. BTW you don't want to use a Spyker impeller cuz it will throw to the right even more (2 of 4 fins are curved).

I hear ya! That would have been ugly if I wouldn't have! :cry:

How are things out there for you Larry? Are you guys getting really dry?

americanlawn
09-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Yes we're totally dry here. Lawns that are watered look pretty good. Otherwise...no significant rain for the past 2 months. Shady lawns look okay, but clay soil lawns in full sun = dormant Kentucky bluegrass (some spots are probably dead KBG). Some crabgrass & foxtail breakthrough too - even on irrigated lawns cuz we had 4 & 6 inch rains in the spring which diluted the "Barricade" pre-emergent. Foxtail has been more of a problem than usual -- wondering if Dimension is better than Barricade for it??

I rarely even see lawn mowers now cuz the grass ain't growing, so you know we're getting desparate. I have not mowed my lawn for 3 weeks.

RigglePLC
09-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Treemonky,
i like your idea. We need someone somewhere to compare the spread patterns of the top brands of spreaders. Andersons, Lesco, and Spyker, and Earthway. Of course Earthway and maybe Spyker rotate in the opposite direction.

After 18 years I had to get new tires for my Scotts R-8A spreader. They do not sell them anymore--but i got them at Discount Tire (special order). 4.10 by 3.5. It goes lots faster now.

americanlawn
09-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Trust me, the Spyker 288 Super rules. :usflag:

emeraldoutdoor
06-09-2009, 02:15 AM
Smoke,
Above advice is good.

So you do not use the side holes at all?

RigglePLC
06-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Emerald Outdoor,
I do not use the side holes, just the center hole in my Scotts(Andersons) spreader. And yes it is opened up to a rather large opening. I still use all three holes in my Permagreen Ultra, but at times I have experimented with using one hole on the Ultra Also. No duct tape needed just move the slides to cover the two outside holes. I thought I saw a slightly more narrow pattern--not sure. I my try this again if humid weather causes a slow flow problem.

vincent1
06-13-2009, 11:10 PM
throw in garbage

RigglePLC
06-14-2009, 01:24 PM
There are several tweaks you can try. Remember the left hole controls the pattern to the right. Put about 10 paper plates out and drive across them--count the granules to determine the pattern. Try partialy closeing the left and right holes until your pattern gets more even. If needed, use duct tape to partially close holes. Eyeball the pattern--its almost as accurate as catching the granules. When granules land near the outside of the spinner they fly off sooner (and go to your right). When granules land near the inside of the spinner, they fly off later and go to your left.

You may wish to try closeing both side holes with duct tape and just use the center hole (opened up two notches more). This works for me and large lumps pass easily.

emeraldoutdoor
06-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the input. I have spent over 4 hours calibrating the spreader, and have found that to get an even spread we must follow a 7' width between rows, therfore 3 passes actually are taken into effect for any particular area. The Lesco HP does spread a little heavier in the center and to the imidiate right no matter what we do, so in order to get a perfect even spread the 7' is nessesary. The "third hole is only usefull to get the same amount of active applied in a 3-4' width area (SMALL sidewalk curb area) and should never be used for any other application as it will always make the center application rate below the spreader twice as heavy.