PDA

View Full Version : Ever include options in your landscape proposals?

Ramairfreak98ss
08-31-2008, 10:37 PM
no matter if its a $100 job or $10,000 job?

We could use any landscape work possible this comming two weeks now. I went out to look at a gentlemans property in central NJ, hes actually a pastor for some church. Family seemed nice, wife was iffy but liked our idea of just extending a mulchbed in the back and some other maintenance work on the small lot. They also asked for a lawn cutting quote since their old company vanished or something in August 08. :/

So i gave them a "low" quote since we will probably be gaining a few more properties in this development, and he decides over email to cut it himself lol.

So his original quote for about $700 for work shows after his scope of work, an optional installation of specific plants for $395, it shows it as an additional amount, and says OPTIONAL:!!!

The guy emails us 2 days later, after initially seeming rushed to get the work done by the end of august, staing, that he wants a quotation for the exact work they asked for, since i was confused, thought i possibly forgot something in my quotation, i asked him to elaborate. He said to remove the "verbiage" of the optional portion. Thinking the guy must have some gripe with extra terms or deals with legal contracts like an attorney or something, we remove this portion so that there is no option or mention of it, re mail his quotation in email and a day later he emails us this.

He thought our first quote and the optional suggested work of $395 was for a total of $700 lol.

He then is confused that after we take out the optional work the quote is still $700.

We will not require your services.

So after a pidly little job for weeding, mulching, mulch bed edging, erecting a new mulchbed in the back yard etc, they think were going to supply $300 in plants for $700? They must have had a seriously CHEAP lawn guy or landscaper previously, wonder why hes not in business after this month?

kootoomootoo
08-31-2008, 11:01 PM
ls would need 15 new serves if we all posted these stories.

mrusk
08-31-2008, 11:35 PM
koo so you don't ever put in your proposals "grass joints xxxx.oo extra?"

kootoomootoo
08-31-2008, 11:42 PM
koo so you don't ever put in your proposals "grass joints xxxx.oo extra?"

PITA fee ..............

markam70
09-01-2008, 04:13 PM
rusk....you sure do speak of "grass joints" often enough... lol

Ramairfreak98ss
09-02-2008, 08:33 AM
ls would need 15 new serves if we all posted these stories.

im sure it can handle it :) Were talking more landscape end not hardscape end, yet im sure you could do the same thing, throw in lighting or landscape along with the patio as an option.

NNJLandman
09-02-2008, 04:10 PM
I completely understand what your saying. In a lot of cases Ill give my customers different options, if we use plants or we just mulch...etc. Even in cases of maintenance, I have several customers who just want the lawn cut and do their own cleanups, but I always send out a "contract" with an estimate for spring/fall/ cleanups and lawn maint all on there.

LB1234
09-04-2008, 07:25 PM
I completely understand what your saying. In a lot of cases Ill give my customers different options, if we use plants or we just mulch...etc. Even in cases of maintenance, I have several customers who just want the lawn cut and do their own cleanups, but I always send out a "contract" with an estimate for spring/fall/ cleanups and lawn maint all on there.

We kidna do the same thing. Quote goes out with everything on the proposal (pest apps, fall/spring cleanups, hourly fees, etc.). They cross out what they don't want and if the need arises later in the season they know what the cost is. Been working that way (and well) for years now.