PDA

View Full Version : starting out

ad356
09-01-2008, 01:15 AM
i have been mowing for side cash since i was in high school. i stopped doing it for a while, but now since the economy has been tough and i needed more money, im at it again. this time i have slightly better equipment. in the past, all i had available to me was a 21" walk behind mower and a cheap sears trimmer. i was recently given an old pickup truck trailer. its old but still has some life left, for free the price was right. i dont own a pickup truck right now, so i bought a class I hitch for my southern 91 cavalier (solid car, no rust). i have a 1971 john deere 112 that i rescued from certain death. i got the tractor running properly and have a 2 year old 38" high vaccum deck installed. deck is mulch capable. i also have an older sthil fs 45 that runs well. i bought the trimmer almost 10 years ago, but it has been the best trimmer i have ever owned, i cant mock it. even if i bought a commerical mower in a few years i would keep the trimmer as long as it runs. a trimmer is a trimmer. the tractor might be older but its very heavy duty for a residential machine. cast iron front axle, cast iron trans axle, and cast iron kohler K241 engine. i also own a spare replacement shortblock kohler k301 that will fit. spare engine only has 1 year of use on it.

so i have a fairly capable garden tractor, a trailer, a car equipped with a hitch, and a string trimmer that runs well. im looking to pick up some more lawns next summer. right now i only mow for friends and family. i have 4 paid lawns, and my own (which doesnt pay). im hoping to maybe have 3-4 more lawns next summer. i have a full time job, so this is a side adventure right now, at least until my wife completes school. i have worked for many abusive companies/bosses in the last 10 years of working and im tired of it. when my wife completes school, im thinking of going full time working for myself.
what is the best way to pick up a few extra lawns for next summer to supplement my income? i usually like to get between 20-35 bucks per lawn

Kennedy Landscaping
09-01-2008, 01:24 AM
For now clear off sidewalks with a broom and save for truck, then blower, then trailer, and Quick Books is a must if you get very big. Word of mouth is always the best way for me, and remember, always do high quality work so when people see you working on a customers lawn they see the high quality work you do and then they'll want you to give them an estimate. Sorry I wasn't much help but Good Luck!

ad356
09-01-2008, 01:33 AM
i think i at least headed in the right direction with the tractor and the small trailer. it alot better than a push mower. next summer i just want a few more lawns so i can make a decent buck to supplement my crappy wage i get from my job.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-01-2008, 01:52 AM
Gotta start somehwere....Good Luck With Your Business!

stevenf
09-01-2008, 02:11 AM
My blower broke last week so I would ride of driveways and sidewalks with my blades engaged to blow them off. Worked fine, just not as good as a blower.
Last year I had a 4x8ft trailer. It was about 15 years worth of rust. I grinded down 65-70% of the rust, sprayed a rust stopper, then repainted it and replaced the wood floor and lights. It looked BRAND new!