PDA

View Full Version : Who's feeling the lack of Rain in Indiana?

green-pa
09-01-2008, 06:42 AM
What is up with this dry weather? My jobs were cut more than in 1/2 the last 2 weeks and this week it looks like I'll not have hardly any jobs. :cry
I've got some saved back but was hoping to use that for when the season is USUALLY over, in late Oct or Nov here. Does this mean we will have a late season into November? Maybe this is mother nature asking for her rain back since she gave so much extra in the spring and early summer.

What is it going to take for these lawns to get back in shape, 2-3 inches?
Even then, it looks like it would take at least a few weeks for them to green up again. Most of my customer's lawns are very yellow with little green in them. Of course the only ones who look decent are the ones who have been watering, which is only a couple.

Do u guys call your customers in times like this and recommend watering? I feel like letting them know that if they don't water then it will take that much longer at this point b4 their lawn looks good again.

Looks like we have very little to no rain in the 10 day forcast either for central IN. :dizzy: Wish we could borrow some from that hurricane that's approaching.

grasswhacker
09-01-2008, 07:44 AM
Pretty dry here in KY too. Some do water, so I mow as they need it.
Until we get some good mosture, I will not do any aerations either.
Need some of Gustav to drop in and say HI!

gardenkeeper88
09-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Yep it's been real dry. About 85% of my customers have and use irrigation so most is pretty good yet.

green-pa
09-02-2008, 04:15 AM
Pretty dry here in KY too. Some do water, so I mow as they need it.
Until we get some good mosture, I will not do any aerations either.
Need some of Gustav to drop in and say HI!

Boy, I hope this isn't a repeat of last year. Most of my customers just won't water or are too old to move sprinklers around and stuff. The younger ones just don't care much. It almost seems like they are glad to be saving $. I'm watering my lawn cause I want it to stay green I think it's worth it; I don't mind cutting once a week or two.

Anyone suggest I call them anyway and recommend watering if by any means possible?

Tyler7692
09-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Yeah, last year was really dry and REALLY HOT. I am hoping this only lasts for a couple of weeks before autumn precip and temps set in... (high 70s low 80s and RAIN RAIN RAIN!)

Tim03
09-02-2008, 12:59 PM
FOr what its worth, the last time (Monday evening) I checked the weather on TV the prediction was rain on Wednesday with the possibility we get rain everyday until Sunday.

green-pa
09-02-2008, 04:05 PM
FOr what its worth, the last time (Monday evening) I checked the weather on TV the prediction was rain on Wednesday with the possibility we get rain everyday until Sunday.

Yeah, if we are lucky enough. But from the forcast I printed out, it shows only 20-30% chance from Wed-Fri and lately, at least in my area, that means ZERO percent :cry: I will be praying, cause only about 2-3 out of 30+ customers of mine water or use irrigation systems.

It seems that unless it says like 60% or better, we don't get much rain round here.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-03-2008, 01:36 AM
green - same boat here in southern MN. Absolutely soaked to the gills in May and early June. July and August, pretty bone dry. You may have some gustav remnants coming your way though...

green-pa
09-04-2008, 01:34 AM
green - same boat here in southern MN. Absolutely soaked to the gills in May and early June. July and August, pretty bone dry. You may have some gustav remnants coming your way though...

Really? Sorry 2 hear that. U and I have about the same size set up on equip.
I'm hoping to add a 52 inch next year. But anyway, yeah, it would be nice if the end result would be some good rain. I missed about 5 weeks from last year's drought here and this year I've missed about 3 weeks ( on most customers) due to dryness. We got like 10 inches in each month of March and June or July and only 1/2 inch or something like that in August.