PDA

View Full Version : Building a Side Ramp

TomberLawn
09-01-2008, 08:14 AM
I'm getting tired of having to pull off my 33" and 21" mower to get my zero turn off of the trailer, especially at yards where I do not even use either small mower. I keep them at the back of the trailer, though, because they are easier to move out of the way than having to move the Ferris when I need the walk behinds.

I'm planning on building a side gate/ramp on the curb-side of the trailer, and maybe adding trimmer racks and Fastraps while I'm at it. Are the Buyers trimmer racks from Northern Tool good? Does anybody have any suggestions or pictures before I get started?

What I want is a two piece ramp, one section 44" wide and the other 24". I have a good 68" to work with at the front of the trailer. The 44" ramp would be for the 33" mower and still be large enough for a 36" or larger mower in the future. The 24" is large enough for a 21" or slightly larger mower. Together, both ramps would be wide enough for a small zero turn, like my 48" Ferris when I get a 60" to put on the back of the trailer.

I'm planning to use these hinges http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200332207_200332207

There will be 2 hinges on each gate, which should be strong enough.
I haven't drawn out any designs yet or figured out exactly how much metal tubing and expanded sheet I need. I think I'll need about 48' of 1"x2" tubing and one 4x8 sheet of expanded metal. Does anybody know an approximate cost for adding a gate like this, doing the fab work myself?

Horsepower Lawns
09-01-2008, 09:36 AM
If your trailer has a side rail going around the top DON'T DO IT. You will be cutting your frame & will bend your trailer.

I would put 3 hinges on the larger ramp. I would also make the hinges with round bar and pipe.

TomberLawn
09-01-2008, 12:40 PM
What's the difference, frame wise, in my trailer without a side ramp and one manufactured with one? I looked at one at Lowe's today (a Carry-On trailer) just to get an idea. It didn't seem to be built any stronger on the side with the ramp than my trailer is.