PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on first truck

windsory
09-01-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm 16 and I'm looking to buy my first truck.

2003 Chevy 2500HD 87,000 miles $9800. short bed extended cab 6.0 gas
Beautiful truck but I just hate the color and to tell you the truth I would want to repaint for about $1500.

2003 F350 with 6.0 diesel. 54,000 miles for $13,900 short bed extended cab.
Though I know 03 was a terrible year for the 6.0 perhaps that's why the price is low?? Otherwise I'd love to have it.

What are your thoughts?

TXNSLighting
09-01-2008, 12:48 PM
03 wasnt the best year. But there were still good ones. Get the dealer to pull an oasis report on the truck. If it hasnt been in the shop for major repairs then its a good one. If its had major repairs then it will never be good.

Most techs didnt know how to work on the 6.0's therefore making them worse than they actually were.

The Chevy doesnt sound like a bad deal either. Im sure most people on here are going to say go with that one.

Lawnworks
09-01-2008, 04:26 PM
I would probably do the f350... probably maintain its value better than the chevy. They both sound like good deals. Are they from a dealer?... you need to add sales tax to get the real number. With the way trucks are selling I would make them a low offer and see what happens. Offer 12k on the diesel and 8k cash on the chevy.

What color is the chevy?

windsory
09-01-2008, 04:39 PM
I would probably do the f350... probably maintain its value better than the chevy. They both sound like good deals. Are they from a dealer?... you need to add sales tax to get the real number. With the way trucks are selling I would make them a low offer and see what happens. Offer 12k on the diesel and 8k cash on the chevy.

What color is the chevy?

I can get the chevy for 9k including all taxes title registration and other fees. It's on the lot at a chevy dealer. It's that chevy burgundy color and I just hate it.

I haven't looked at the ford yet but it's at a large used car lot.

Lawnworks
09-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Have you checked craigslist? I hate buying from a dealer b/c of the sales tax and other fees, plus you know they are making money off of you and it could be had cheaper somewhere else.

windsory
09-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Have you checked craigslist? I hate buying from a dealer b/c of the sales tax and other fees, plus you know they are making money off of you and it could be had cheaper somewhere else.

I've been looking at craigslist but it seems that private sellers aren't in tune with the current truck market and seem to be asking even more than dealerships are right now.
But, I know they have to be LOSING money on the chevy because its been on the lot since march and was originally listed for something like $15,900

newtostone
09-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Even if you buy a truck from a private party you still have to pay sales tax and registration. When you register the truck is when you'll pay it instead of when making the purchase.

deere615
09-01-2008, 08:27 PM
I think thats a great deal on that chevy IMO

oakwdman
09-01-2008, 08:31 PM
like txns said if the oasis report comes up clean on the ford then I'd go for it. The good 6.0's are awesome engines.

Lawnworks
09-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Even if you buy a truck from a private party you still have to pay sales tax and registration. When you register the truck is when you'll pay it instead of when making the purchase.

I guess it depends on what state you are in... no sales tax in GA if it is from a private seller.

windsory
09-01-2008, 10:41 PM
I got the oasis report from someone on ford truck enthusiast forum and there have never been any repairs beyond an oil leak and scratched window. Both trucks are great deals, but I think the ford is a better deal.

I just need to decide if I want to spend another $4k on the diesel. I'm gonna be pulling a 16-18' enclosed trailer with a toro z and a walker, possibly another z next year, only 2-3 days a week too. I don't NEED a diesel but I want one because bigger is always better in my book.

I just need to decide what I want, help please.

oakwdman
09-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Even if you don't NEED the diesel for most situations, you will LOVE having it when the need arises. Alot of people (esp. on this site) say that when buying a trailer to figure out what size you need, then go buy the next size up. Same thing with your truck, you would be just fine with the chevy but the ford will give you room to upgrade to a much larger trailer when the need arises, or to tow a skid, trees, mulch etc. If I were you I'd go with the diesel.

big_belly4ever
09-01-2008, 11:07 PM
I just (my wife got for me anniversary present) will be getting a 2003 f250 supercab four door short box gas on tuesday ,the 2nd cant wait till they deliver it. It will be my plow truck. I was looking at f250 new and used and i did come across things about the diesel engines on 2003 f250. i wanted new she saw i was looking on line she paid 13995 before tax,title, license. lol i know shes thinking shes saved about 16000 to 17000 on a new one im not complaining it will work for me. 14th anniversary on my 1st i got a cordless drill she said i was more excited then than now. lol i hate to see you get a bad truck check it out first.mo

windsory
09-01-2008, 11:13 PM
I just (my wife got for me anniversary present) will be getting a 2003 f250 supercab four door short box gas on tuesday ,the 2nd cant wait till they deliver it. It will be my plow truck. I was looking at f250 new and used and i did come across things about the diesel engines on 2003 f250. i wanted new she saw i was looking on line she paid 13995 before tax,title, license. lol i know shes thinking shes saved about 16000 to 17000 on a new one im not complaining it will work for me. 14th anniversary on my 1st i got a cordless drill she said i was more excited then than now. lol i hate to see you get a bad truck check it out first.mo

From what I hear it's very hit or miss with the 6.0s and there haven't been any engine issues in 54,000 miles that would lead you to believe this one is a miss.

TXNSLighting
09-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Well the Ford it is then! Thats my vote for sure. You will love it.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-02-2008, 01:48 AM
Go with the Ford I would say

First
On
Race
Day

Junior M
09-02-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm 16 and I'm looking to buy my first truck.

2003 F350 with 6.0 diesel. 54,000 miles for $13,900 short bed extended cab.
Though I know 03 was a terrible year for the 6.0 perhaps that's why the price is low?? Otherwise I'd love to have it.

What are your thoughts?

I would go with the ford, but that is just because I am the type of person that loves having a diesel just to own a diesel... but i would go with the ford.. I am not a ford guy but that ford sounds like a good deal but that 6.0 could be risky but at that many miles it obviously hasnt had any troubles.. the only thing i wouldnt like would be the short bed...

brucec32
09-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Do you require the capacity of the HD trucks? Would a 1/2 ton suffice? Most (not all) HD trucks for sale in your price range have been used hard. A lot of 1/2 ton trucks had nothing more than a duffle bag in the back and were used as family trucksters and commuter vehicles. They cost less initially and use less fuel, so you could even spend more up front and still acheive the same overall cost as a HD truck.

I see a lot of operations that are "all truck, no machines", where they shot their wad on a macho rig but can't afford good machines for the work they do. Kind of like the Texan phrase "all hat, no cattle". They'll tow 2,000 lbs of trailer, wb's and 21" mowers in a rig designed to tow 20,000 lbs day in, day out, because once a year they want to be able to rent a bobcat and haul it around.

Of course if you use it daily for HD use, by all means go HD.

oakwdman
09-10-2008, 11:33 PM
You get the ford?

J&R Landscaping
09-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Both sound like good deals. Just depends if that Ford has been in the shop or not for repairs.

windsory
09-11-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm still shopping around as I'm not in any hurry. I'm not entirely sold on the Ford yet because I don't know if it's worth it for me to spend more for a diesel when I really don't need it. Though I would get the better gas mileage, especially if I put a chip in it. :usflag:

newtostone
09-11-2008, 10:13 PM
I wouldn't chip a 6.0.

windsory
09-11-2008, 10:15 PM
I wouldn't chip a 6.0.

why is that? I don't know too much about these engines

dura to the max
09-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Even if you don't NEED the diesel for most situations, you will LOVE having it when the need arises. Alot of people (esp. on this site) say that when buying a trailer to figure out what size you need, then go buy the next size up. Same thing with your truck, you would be just fine with the chevy but the ford will give you room to upgrade to a much larger trailer when the need arises, or to tow a skid, trees, mulch etc. If I were you I'd go with the diesel.

the 6.0 i used to have as a work truck pulls a skid or w/e just fine. in this situation i would get the ford, but the chevy is a heckuva truck.

if the truck is going to be used for work i would try to get a long box on it, much better to work from.

is either one 4x4?

Riley Lawn Service
09-14-2008, 02:45 AM
i would personally go with the diesel mainly because diesels have great power for work trucks and then if you can convince you local mcdonalds to give you their old cooking oil you can make your own diesel fuel that costs about 60 cents a gallon to make yourself. Hows that for being handy? lol

02DURAMAX
09-14-2008, 03:23 AM
that chey is a good deal....If not why dont you look for a good D-Max?...Not to sure about teh 6.0

Duke9590
09-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Go with the ford! Power-stroke all the way.