PDA

View Full Version : Foam filling small tires

Mjh Excavating
09-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Looking to fill the small tires on the front of my harley rake with foam. Any reccomendations besides "great stuff".

seabee1
09-01-2008, 06:19 PM
most larger ag tire shops can foam fill the tires for a permanent fix

Mjh Excavating
09-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the reply, I have a few places around that will do it. I was looking to do it myself. I have the rake apart doing some repair/maintenance work on it. The going rate seems to be about $65 a tire, thought I could do it myself cheaper.

Dirt Digger2
09-01-2008, 08:01 PM
you could also Tire Slime them....i have heard that works very well too

on our front backhoe tires we have a soft rubber type liner in them that seals up any small punctures in the tread area

Mjh Excavating
09-01-2008, 08:09 PM
I thought about sliming them, but the major problem I have is not with punctures, I seem to have a constant problem with material getting in the bead, getting a slow leak and ultimately flat tires. You think slime would help ?

Dirt Digger2
09-01-2008, 08:34 PM
put a thick coat of bead sealer on them between the rims and the bead and it should keep that from happening ...its very possible that dirt is getting in there in the first place because the tires are under inflated too

mrsops
09-01-2008, 08:38 PM
I thought about sliming them, but the major problem I have is not with punctures, I seem to have a constant problem with material getting in the bead, getting a slow leak and ultimately flat tires. You think slime would help ?

i have slimed all my air tires on my bobcats the stuff works very well. But its not the same as having them foam filled

Scag48
09-01-2008, 09:07 PM
I think foam filling your tires would help with your problem, but I think there are easier methods. I'm not sure I would favor foam filled tires on a Harley rake, I would like those tires to have a little give to them while grading. I dunno, maybe I'm thinking about it too much, but if the tires are rock hard, even the smallest rock would tilt that rake over while rolling over it. I think a good bead sealer and proper inflation would keep material from breaking through the bead on your tires.

Mjh Excavating
09-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks guys for the replys, it is nice to get some different opinions on this matter. I've tried the bead sealer and for the most part the inflation is usually correct. It is not beyond me to kick out "very large" rocks with this unit (used to fullest potential :nono:) and tires have been knocked down because of this also. Just looking for a permanent , no downtime, fix.

Dirt Digger2
09-01-2008, 09:49 PM
i dont know what size tires you run on those things (i have never used one) but what about one of those solid flap style tires like you would find on the back of a rotary mower?

Scag48
09-01-2008, 09:49 PM
If that's the case, I'd just foam fill them. It's tough to beat $65 a tire, most times I've heard you have to buy a barrel of the stuff if you want to do it yourself and the average guy would never need 55 gallons of the mix.

backhoe1
09-01-2008, 11:32 PM
We had the same problem, had tire shop fill with foam and never had problem since. not hard to lose $65 in downtime.

seabee1
09-01-2008, 11:39 PM
you can alway's put a tube in them !