PDA

View Full Version : How Bout Them Stand Up Mowers?

Jimmy Dean
09-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Anyone out there have or used the Wright stand-up mowers? I live in the NC mountains, alot of slopping yards, are these mowers better for this type of terrain?

tedfrk
09-02-2008, 08:21 PM
i wish i could help you out.i never used one but am curious myself,go demo one and let us know.

jimithing31
09-02-2008, 09:56 PM
48in Wright Stander here and I love it. Only thing I recommend is get the rapid rapid height deck. Adjusting the Casters every time you need to change height is a PITA.

4curbappeal
09-02-2008, 10:28 PM
48in Wright Stander here and I love it. Only thing I recommend is get the rapid rapid height deck. Adjusting the Casters every time you need to change height is a PITA.

If you are doing hills, slopes, etc. DO NOT get the rapid height. The RH has a smaller frame w/narrower stance, smaller drive tires, less HP and a few other differences that make it inferior on hills!
If you are looking for a mower for hills, demo the Stander or the Stander ZK. The Stander RH is a great mower and has it's place, but it sure isnt for hills or slopes! Trust me on that!

Jimmy Dean
09-02-2008, 11:39 PM
thanks guys.

RedMax Man
09-02-2008, 11:45 PM
I have a 52" 23hp Wright stander non-rapid hite. it clings to hills like a magnet. awesome machine with a very small foot print for the amount of power maneuverability.

Guzman Properties
09-02-2008, 11:51 PM
I have a 48 Wright Stander RH. I have no problem on hills or flat terrain. I like the RH for the easy change in cutting height and you can hop curbs ALOT easier.

Jimmy Dean
09-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Thanks for all the input gentleman. Looks like I'll be buying one of the Wright Standers!

corey4671
09-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Asheville NC...sheesh..there ain't a level piece of ground anywhere there!

Jimmy Dean
09-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Asheville NC...sheesh..there ain't a level piece of ground anywhere there!

You got that right my friend! LOL. But we can sure charge more for the danger aspect!:laugh:

brucec32
09-24-2008, 12:14 AM
If you are doing hills, slopes, etc. DO NOT get the rapid height. The RH has a smaller frame w/narrower stance, smaller drive tires, less HP and a few other differences that make it inferior on hills!
If you are looking for a mower for hills, demo the Stander or the Stander ZK. The Stander RH is a great mower and has it's place, but it sure isnt for hills or slopes! Trust me on that!

If I'm reading the tire sizes right from the website, the RH tires are 1/2" narrower but the wheel they're mounted on is larger. That tells me a little higher ground pressure and less traction but the lower profile tire would flex less which for the lawns I do on slopes I think would be a plus. A rougher ride too maybe. But as far as stability goes I would think how far apart the wheels are would be the biggest factor. I assume on the 36" units the tires are set out about where the 36" deck width is. Perhaps the differences are bigger on bigger models.

36" RH 18x8x10 rear tires
36" stander 18x8.5x8

I'm still trying to find a way to get a stander in the inventory before I retire since they look fun and less cumbersome than wb/velke setups. I just worry about the mulching ability and cut quality when mowing at under 2" like we have to do here a lot.