PDA

View Full Version : First retaing wall

XStream Aquatics
09-01-2008, 07:39 PM
I mainly install water features but had a good friend ask to build a retainer wall for him. I have to say wow this was easy compared to stacking boulders. I've built alot of formal and informal ponds with dry stacked limestone or true 6" venner limestone. Having stones (blocks) that were all the same and flat made it so easy. After leveling the bottom run off it went. Yes I did check with manf. to make sure it would be installed correctly, geotextile, pins, 3'-4' gravel, drains and fabric. I hope to get more of these.

Hardscaping
09-01-2008, 07:55 PM
looks great!

howierd3866
09-01-2008, 08:02 PM
looks good now if I could get someone to do one in my backyard

Cagey
09-01-2008, 11:24 PM
As a homeowner, I am considering installing a retaining wall such as you did, can you please share with us the manufacturer of the blocks. I like the look of what you did, and would like to find out if the blocks are available in my area. Thank you for sharing the information.

Cagey

XStream Aquatics
09-01-2008, 11:37 PM
ICD corporation (innovative concrete design) StoneWall Select.

Cagey
09-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Thank you again for the information.

richallseasons
09-02-2008, 08:31 PM
nice work I just dont care for that block, something funky about it

ericmcj31
09-02-2008, 08:34 PM

What??:hammerhead::hammerhead: Looks great-wall, block, plants and all!:clapping::cool2:

XStream Aquatics
09-02-2008, 09:06 PM

I agree but the homeowner said she wanted the cheapest locking block I could find. So therefore the warranty on workmanship was only 5 years, alittle shorter than what I'd offer on a better block.

Top Dog Pavers
09-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Nice job on the curves!

DVS Hardscaper
09-02-2008, 09:09 PM
.....Yes I did check with manf. to make sure it would be installed correctly, geotextile, pins, 3'-4' gravel, drains and fabric. I hope to get more of these.

Ok, one thing concerns me.

You stated you "did check with manf.".

Ok, I see a wall that is over 4-feet in height. Typically, the rule of thumb is that walls over 4-feet in height be engineered by a geo-technical engineer.

This is primarily for liability purposes, as well as a CYA on your end. An engineer will address surcharge, global stability and technical stuff that ensure's the walls will remain intact 30 years from now. This is important. The liability for building such walls carries through forever.

I have a buddy that is in the residential driveway paving business. He always says "a driveway is only as good as what's under it.

Same goes for walls. Segmental and/or mortared.

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com

XStream Aquatics
09-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Good point. Now if I was building this for a client or commercial job it would've been done. Like I said this was for a good friend and she needed this done quickly and wouldn't pay for any extra expenses. Would've walked away if another client was to tight to do the job correctly.

DVS Hardscaper
09-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Larry,

I can relate! I think we all have friends and neighbors whom we do work for under same terms.

westernmdlawn
09-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Don't you mean "EP HENRY" Stonewall Select Units???

mzgloves20
09-03-2008, 10:26 PM
The wall looks great...I hate filling the cores on those blocks!!!

Good job!