PDA

View Full Version : First patio job,Need some help

lawnpro2210
09-01-2008, 09:36 PM
so ive decided to build my mom a patio because she keeps complanning about are back yard looking bad (and shes right) so ive decided im gouing to give it a shot.We already have the pavers but i need alot of other stuff lol.ive read more books and watched more videos on how to build a patio in the last 3days that im even starting to have dreams about it lol but the hardest part so far is designing it.I have some pics and am wondering if you guys can help me out if you have the right software to throw togeather a pic of what it could look like.Thanks a ton. Mike
will keep you guys updated on the progress with lots of pics so check back to see how im douing.

lawnpro2210
09-01-2008, 09:38 PM
here some more pics

Hardscaping
09-01-2008, 10:42 PM
well first things first take out all the concrete and stairs that is there in the area of the size you want to make you patio.

Then dig your base you have read books so you know what to do then.

Lay your patio then buy the precast cement steps think they are called valentia steps.

Then set your steps in place.

then you are done not much to designing a small patio like that unles you are making it a raised patio with stairs coming off of it and all the jazz of rails and stuff.

PlatinumLandCon
09-01-2008, 10:52 PM
well first things first take out all the concrete and stairs that is there in the area of the size you want to make you patio.

Then dig your base you have read books so you know what to do then.

Lay your patio then buy the precast cement steps think they are called valentia steps.

Then set your steps in place.

then you are done not much to designing a small patio like that unles you are making it a raised patio with stairs coming off of it and all the jazz of rails and stuff.

Limited advice there.

To break it down quickly: demo concrete, dig 8" down, lay WOVEN geotextile fabric, lay and pack 4-6" base (compacted in 2" layers), screed out 1" of coarse concrete sand with 3/4" gas pipe (rigid pipe), lay pavers, install edge restraint, tamp down pavers, sweep polymeric sand, tamp pavers, sweep polymeric, mist with water. BAM, enjoy!

Hardscaping
09-01-2008, 11:29 PM
oh yeah mark and cut that cement walkway to the correct angle and size for you lay your pavers right up to it.

lawnpro2210
09-06-2008, 11:13 PM
well started demolition to day dug up all the cement and dug down a little bit.
went pretty good untill a ran into a pipe from the spouting that feeds in to the well but its a easy fix.heres some pics.

??? How many of you lay cement then the brick.and if you use the gravel then sand methad what are the layers you use in inches.Thanks Mike

lawnpro2210
09-09-2008, 08:53 PM
this was by the far the funnest part :)

lawnpro2210
09-09-2008, 08:55 PM

Plant Buyer 83
09-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Did you do a "Insert Your State Here" One Call - I want to venture a guess and say no. I know it is now after the fact - I see you hit a drainage pipe. You are lucky that you didn't hit any utilities they can be COSTLY.

You should move that pipe so it is not draining towards the house. If that is the case, hard to tell by the pic what is really going on there or even if that is where the pipe stops.

Good luck, learn a lot, and lets see progress pictures as it comes along.

Mike33
09-09-2008, 10:28 PM
I like the hat, good luck to you.
Mike

lawnpro2210
09-09-2008, 11:03 PM
The Pipe runs under the house to a well.Did you do a "Insert Your State Here" One Call - I want to venture a guess and say no. I know it is now after the fact - I see you hit a drainage pipe. You are lucky that you didn't hit any utilities they can be COSTLY.

You should move that pipe so it is not draining towards the house. If that is the case, hard to tell by the pic what is really going on there or even if that is where the pipe stops.

Good luck, learn a lot, and lets see progress pictures as it comes along.

44DCNF
09-14-2008, 08:32 PM
It would go to a cistern wouldn't it, not a well?

lawnpro2210
09-16-2008, 11:42 AM
idk i thouht it was well you can see it in the 14th pic its the blue thing or at least see the pump my mom and dad call it a well but im not shure.It would go to a cistern wouldn't it, not a well?

44DCNF
09-16-2008, 12:09 PM
OK, thanks. If that is your well for you domestic water use, and the gutters head to it, then I am wondering if there may also be a catch basin underground next to it. Old homes used to collect rain water into a cistern for use later. I wasn't aware of it, if they dumped into the well. Maybe they do then. Either way, I'm looking forward to more pics as your project progresses. Here's to hoping the weather agrees with you...:drinkup:

lawnpro2210
09-20-2008, 09:18 PM
This is probly the hardest thin ive evr built!!!

lawnpro2210
09-20-2008, 09:25 PM
sorry for the spelling on the last post lol

lawnpro2210
09-20-2008, 09:32 PM
im pretty shure if it was not for my neighbor bob ripley i would of gone insane lol

Plant Buyer 83
09-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Looks like your making good progress. Make sure you are pitched away from the house in both directions.

Mike33
09-20-2008, 09:59 PM
I wish my kid was like you. Looking good. Btw how old are you?
Mike

lawnpro2210
09-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Looks like your making good progress. Make sure you are pitched away from the house in both directions.

yup shure am my neighbor is keeping a close eye on me to keep that slope away from the house.

lawnpro2210
09-20-2008, 10:05 PM
I wish my kid was like you. Looking good. Btw how old are you?
Mike
17 will turn 18 on june 5th:)

kootoomootoo
09-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Why are you using wall block as your paver?

Pull up the wall block ...use it to make the steps/a wall/pillar or two.
Buy some pavers at $2-$4 a sq ft.

If you get 2 coccia house pizzas to my house in the next hour I will help you.

lawnpro2210
09-20-2008, 10:14 PM

we already had the wall block so thats just what we decided to use since we couldnt take it back.yes it was heavy lol

lawnpro2210
09-20-2008, 10:15 PM

we already had the wall block so thats just what we decided to use since we couldnt take it back.yes it was heavy lol.
thanks for the help but im pretty shure i got it now.
Thanks Mike

forestfireguy
09-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Wish my 16 yr old kinda step son had half the drive you have, good job......It's nice to see that not all of the "youth" of america are lazy and useless. But your friends must think you're wierd out working when there is a perfectly good video game or other such crap somewhere. Really though good job, looks nice, just make sure you patch up the foundation, you look kinda skinny but to knock a chunk like that out you must tough....wanna move to jersey and show some other kids that it is actually possible for a young person to break their A** and not die? In case it wasn't clear, I'm serious, good job and you should be proud.

bishoplandscape
09-20-2008, 11:26 PM
That must have been the thickest one inch pipe I have ever seen, how deep is the sand?

lawnpro2210
09-20-2008, 11:27 PM
Wish my 16 yr old kinda step son had half the drive you have, good job......It's nice to see that not all of the "youth" of america are lazy and useless. But your friends must think you're wierd out working when there is a perfectly good video game or other such crap somewhere. Really though good job, looks nice, just make sure you patch up the foundation, you look kinda skinny but to knock a chunk like that out you must tough....wanna move to jersey and show some other kids that it is actually possible for a young person to break their A** and not die? In case it wasn't clear, I'm serious, good job and you should be proud.

Hey Thanks:)
I do take a lot of crap from my friends doing stuff like this but when they see how much more money im making building patios and retaining walls then they are working minimum wage at fast food restaurants they be wishing they were me. There already starting to get the hint by watching me bust my a$$ all summer mowing and mulching payuppayuppayup while there sitting inside watching TV lol .I am pretty skinny but im slowly gaining the weight and muscle:weightlifter:. I donít think im that strong as I am self determined. Thanks again Mike

lawnpro2210
09-20-2008, 11:29 PM
That must have been the thickest one inch pipe I have ever seen, how deep is the sand?

The pipe is 1'' but had to go a little thicker at the end so that the pavers will fit flush up agains the sidewalk.

kootoomootoo
09-21-2008, 12:48 AM
Hey Thanks:)
I do take a lot of crap from my friends doing stuff like this but when they see how much more money im making building patios and retaining walls then they are working minimum wage at fast food restaurants they be wishing they were me. There already starting to get the hint by watching me bust my a$$ all summer mowing and mulching payuppayuppayup while there sitting inside watching TV lol .I am pretty skinny but im slowly gaining the weight and muscle:weightlifter:. I donít think im that strong as I am self determined. Thanks again Mike

But you had the chance to build this job right and didnt.

Hardscaping
09-21-2008, 01:00 AM
that job is looking good. You shouldve just cut the blocks by the wall on a bit of an angle though instead of putting more sand a the end. the sand at the end might actually wash out a bit. try to put something beside all that like an edge or something it would look good.

bishoplandscape
09-21-2008, 01:18 AM
That gutter should have been fixed looks bad, and is it just my screen or does it look like all the sand is about as thick at the block?

lawnpro2210
09-21-2008, 10:49 AM
many of your questions will be answered in the pics to come

tedfrk
09-21-2008, 12:52 PM
i just am curious what is the gutter that comes from above the door for ?looks good.are you going to keep the steps like that?

lawnpro2210
09-21-2008, 12:57 PM
i just am curious what is the gutter that comes from above the door for ?looks good.are you going to keep the steps like that?

At one time there was a gutter above the door that connected to the down spout but then it came off and the down spout was just left there.but it will be remouved later.Both steps are the just temporarly so no one falls lol

Green Team Landscaping
09-21-2008, 01:29 PM
How old are you? It looks good too. Oh, and did you offer to do it for the toys, or practice? lol jk

lawnpro2210
09-21-2008, 05:20 PM
How old are you? It looks good too. Oh, and did you offer to do it for the toys, or practice? lol jk

lol im 17 ill be 18 on june 5th i did it just for the practice so i can pay for the big toys in the future :):cool2:

Green Team Landscaping
09-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Were those rented or do you own them? If you own then then thats sick and you're like the luckiest kid alive. I was going to do the same thing to my yard, mostly fo the toys, but also for practice/.

daveyo
09-21-2008, 10:12 PM
I commend you on your work ethic, it really is nice to see a youngster work hard. If you keep up in this line of work you'll look back at this project and really have a good chuckle. I remember freaking out probably the whole first year I was doing walls and pavers, but I surrounded myself with extremely knowledgeable people, now I usually just sub out the work to a good friend. There are many problems your facing but it's your first so learn all you can and just try and do things right. Ask all the questions you can. Good luck,

lawnpro2210
09-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Were those rented or do you own them? If you own then then thats sick and you're like the luckiest kid alive. I was going to do the same thing to my yard, mostly fo the toys, but also for practice/.

i rented the excavator and the tamper but the john deere is ares or my dads

JWLandscaping
09-21-2008, 10:45 PM
I think your doing a great job and trust me I know what it's like to completely bust ur back while all your friends are out partyin and playin games but trust me you will really be thanking yourself in a few short years. You are doing a great job with this job and all the others you have posted. I myself and 20 and took the same path you did at your age and I can tell you my first patio job didn't go that well you are doing a great job.

KCfireman
09-21-2008, 10:46 PM
very nice job so far and BEAUTIFUL DOGS!!!!!!!!! I've got two 1 yr old black labs.

4 seasons lawn&land
09-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Limited advice there.

To break it down quickly: demo concrete, dig 8" down, lay WOVEN geotextile fabric, lay and pack 4-6" base (compacted in 2" layers), screed out 1" of coarse concrete sand with 3/4" gas pipe (rigid pipe), lay pavers, install edge restraint, tamp down pavers, sweep polymeric sand, tamp pavers, sweep polymeric, mist with water. BAM, enjoy!

what does this highlighted part mean? Also, what do you use for an edge restraint?

4 seasons lawn&land
09-21-2008, 11:17 PM
what were you doing with the pvc? Just using it to smooth an level and then take it out? Or drainage of some sort?

lawnpro2210
09-21-2008, 11:29 PM
what were you doing with the pvc? Just using it to smooth an level and then take it out? Or drainage of some sort?

The pvc pipe is 1'' making the sand exactly a 1'' base. Then you pull out the pvc and fill in the part where the pvc was with more sand. Makes it a nice smooth base.

lawnpro2210
09-21-2008, 11:31 PM
what does this highlighted part mean? Also, what do you use for an edge restraint?

Not shure why that is highlighted but im using a plastic edge restraint with long spikes all the way around where the dirt is.

4 seasons lawn&land
09-21-2008, 11:54 PM
oh, got it, on the pvc thing. Whats below that, gravel?

I highlighted that part in red to show what part I was asking about.

How do you tamp down the pavers?

PlatinumLandCon
09-22-2008, 12:38 AM

Do what he's doing with the sand, thats called screeding. The pipes he's dragging the 2x4 across are 3/4" "Black Pipe" or "Gas Pipe" (a STIFF pipe, not a bendy pipe like PVC).

forestfireguy
09-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Pro, when you spike the edge restraint be sure that you leave at least 12 inches of compacted base on the outside of the edger, if you spike into the dirt your patio will start "walking" apart real quick. If you need the size and hadn't figured on what I just said you could use concrete but even then you should have some good compacted base to th outside.

lawnpro2210
09-22-2008, 08:27 PM
oh, got it, on the pvc thing. Whats below that, gravel?

I highlighted that part in red to show what part I was asking about.

How do you tamp down the pavers?

Below the gravel is a heavy duty fabrick and then below that is compacted dirt.Ill be using a wacker or the yellow thing in one of the pics to tamp down the pavers.

lawnpro2210
09-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Pro, when you spike the edge restraint be sure that you leave at least 12 inches of compacted base on the outside of the edger, if you spike into the dirt your patio will start "walking" apart real quick. If you need the size and hadn't figured on what I just said you could use concrete but even then you should have some good compacted base to th outside.

I have about 6'' of left over room between the patio and the yard that is doug down for the edge restraint to go.Do you think that will be enough.

lawnpro2210
09-22-2008, 09:54 PM
updated pic.Hope to finish it up this weekend so stay tunned lol

mudcat
09-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Keep up the good work!

02DURAMAX
09-23-2008, 01:17 AM
Looks good for your first time.....also shure is spelled.."SURE"

forestfireguy
09-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Pro,

Given the grade and the 6 inches you have I'd go with a ribbon of concrete, take a small shovel like one you'd use to plant annuals go down into your base 2-3 inches and a shovel width wide, make a continuous slanted "teardrop" all around the block, going about halfway up each block. The continous ribbon will keep things in place. Then grade to cover concrete with at least an inch of soil.

PatriotLandscape
09-24-2008, 08:35 AM
I have about 6'' of left over room between the patio and the yard that is doug down for the edge restraint to go.Do you think that will be enough.

6 inches is to the spec. don't use concrete it will crack and be a pain to work with.

forestfireguy
09-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Patriot is right, 6 inches is the spec, I go 12 on my jobs, I am one to try and overbuild things. Though the concrete is still my suggestion.

PatriotLandscape
09-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Not trying to pick a fight and this is a serious question, why do you use concrete if aluminum or plastic is so much easier to work with?

forestfireguy
09-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Patriot, put up your dukes.....LOL, no fight here. I wouldn't ordinairily, I hate working with concrete. But I go too wide with my base, I have done it to the 6" spec and had issues with spikes not holding as they should(and I did not have any compaction testing done, but have had the same supplier and compacted the same way and roughly the same amount for years), not often but enough, having had that problem I now go 12 inches wider on each side. The only time I'll plan to use concrete is when there is a space issue, like under an open set of stairs or something like that, I prefer to jack up stairs a bit and go under them a little bit but thats not always possible..

forestfireguy
09-26-2008, 06:48 PM
One more point, if using concrete, for this project or if jammed for space in the future be sure to spend a few extra bucks for the fiber reinforced mix, it'll still crack but doesn't pull apart as much.

wurkn with amish
09-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Mike,
Hi.
what you should have done instead of build your base up with sand, was to use more base material period. Use steal pipes not plastic. Use string lines or straight edge to keep your joints consistant.
Also...... please use spell check or pay more attention in school!

davis45
10-13-2008, 01:34 AM
Ever finish this job bud? It's been lookin good for your first one.

jtruck618
10-13-2008, 02:17 AM
No more pics?

lawnpro2210
10-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Yeah i havent had much time to work on it with school and other activities but should have it all finished up tommarrow night and have all the finished pictures so stay tuned.

lawnpro2210
10-14-2008, 09:03 PM
So today i finaly finished up the patio.Almost, still have to put in the steps and the flower boxes but thats for next year.But any how it took me about 6 weeks to build and alot more $$$$ then i expected to.But thats almost always how things go when your douing them for the first time.So enjoy the pics and tell me what you think.
Thank Mike:cool2::cool2::clapping::clapping::drinkup:

lawnpro2210
10-14-2008, 09:06 PM

PlatinumLandCon
10-14-2008, 09:34 PM
The angle cuts look a little rough dude.

One tip, place block PAST soldier course, snap a chalk line, zip off the extras for a smooth, clean cut. You have more of a chance to mess up when cutting each piece.

Overall, thats one hell of a great job for your first patio!

Kennedy Landscaping
10-14-2008, 09:49 PM
That looks really good man. Planning on doing any for customers? That ramp is pretty neat

lawnpro2210
10-14-2008, 10:16 PM
That looks really good man. Planning on doing any for customers? That ramp is pretty neat

Yeah i would like to work with someone for a couple weeks to show me the ropes first.

jtruck618
10-16-2008, 12:03 AM
I think the ramp looks odd in the photo but if looking at it in person, and could see the slope better, it would have a better flow.

heybruck34
10-16-2008, 12:07 PM
very nice work. Especially for a kid with no prior experience. Well done.

lawnpro2210
10-22-2008, 10:02 PM
It doesnt look to bad when your looking at it from coming up the sidewalk but wish i would of dug down just a litte more so that i wouldent of had to tapper it in the first place lol

I think the ramp looks odd in the photo but if looking at it in person, and could see the slope better, it would have a better flow.

lawnpro2210
09-14-2009, 01:34 PM
To see the finished pics here is the link its on the 3rd page
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=285678&page=2

kisner87
09-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Look amaizing for your first patio with no experiance. I am glad to see that there are good kids still around I am still a kid myself but some of them around here a really lazy. If you are in Wisconsin and are looking for a Job I would love to have a hard working individual like yourself.,

lawnpro2210
09-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Well i might have to take you up on that offer. Ill be going to Ohio State ATI branch next year for college and they have a 9 week internship and this is exactly the kind of work i would like to do in the future. So if you or anyone is willing to show me the ropes im willing to learn and put in the hard work and time.
Look amaizing for your first patio with no experiance. I am glad to see that there are good kids still around I am still a kid myself but some of them around here a really lazy. If you are in Wisconsin and are looking for a Job I would love to have a hard working individual like yourself.,