PDA

View Full Version : Help on fuselade

Maxine Smith
09-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi There all,
I really would appreciate some advice concerning Fuselade. I've never used or had to use this before. I have a large garden. 5 acres. Have always been a keen gardener and had the garden on display but in recent years have had to nurse my mum.. lost her and younger brother lost him too. The garden kind of went by the wayside. Grass in it galore. too much to hand weed and glyphostae is an option in some areas but I have so many ornamentals I have to be careful. Could someone tell me if fuselade is safe to use around ornamentals and if not which ones. I'm guessing being a selective herbicide for grasses that it could knock out ornamental grasses as well. This doesn't particularly bother me but are other ornamentals also sensitive to it.
Thankyou for your time. I really need to get my garden back in shape again. Been too long.
Thanks Maxine

LushGreenLawn
09-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Yes, it can kill ornamentals. There is nothing that I know of that you can spray that will kill weeds but not ornamentals. I use roundup all the time, of course not sprayting directly on the shrub. It is not taken up by the roots, so as long as you don't get any on the leaves of the desirable (You can even get a little on the woody stem and its ok) you will be fine. The only reason I would use fusilade is if you are targeting Bermudagrass (Wiregrass), and even then I would mix it with round-up.

RigglePLC
09-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Try Ortho Grass-b-gone. Over the top grass killer
http://www2.yardiac.com/long.asp?item_id=196

Ingredients fluaziflop or something like that. Also see:
http://www.helpfulgardener.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=27554

Red the label and directions carefully. You should be able to kill grass over the top of most ornamentals, (except grass). Works slow.

Maxine Smith
09-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Thankyou for your help guys. I really do appreciate it. Just trying to get my zest back now for what I love and I really do have quite a large job at hand. By the way I am from Australia. Are you guys in America or also from here. I ask this because of the product in the link you gave me. (grass be gone ) I'm sure it would be available over here as well. The internet never ceases to amaze me with whom you can speak to in different parts of the world. Thanks again.
Yours in gardening Maxine xxx

ted putnam
09-01-2008, 09:51 PM
It is true that Fusilade will kill only certain grassy weeds...bermuda being the main one. However, it is safe to use around ornamentals. If you look at the label it is safe for like 400 ornamentals. I think some of the cypress and junipers may be a little sensitive. I spray it over the top of many ornamentals with no problem. Ornamec has the same active ingredient and probably more available to the homeowner. Roundup is good also because it is a contact herbicide. It only kills what it is applied to( No movement in the soil). That being said, if you'll apply it in low wind (usually early morning or late evening )you should be fine, You can also cover plants with plastic bags or use a cardboard shield when close to ornamentals you want to keep. Main thing is, keep it off of green,leafy plant tissue.

Maxine Smith
09-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks Ted,
I do have many cypress and junipers in my garden. In fact I think I have probably every plant and tree there is to have. My husband would say. Where are you going to put that. I would reply... There is always a spot for one more. ha ha
thankyou for your advice. I am l aware of round up (contact glyphosate). . I know the dangers of this. So does my husband. I normally do the spraying. One day he decided to help. When he accidentally took out 1 of my more rarer plants through spraying . He nearly got two black eyes. L.O.L. Only joking.... Although I have a broken wrist at the moment and my wrist is in plaster .I certainly could do a lot more damage.Thanks for all your advice. I do appreciate it and yes I have used cardboard, plastic bags etc before with spraying. I guess I'm looking for a magic answer to a problem that has been allowed to escalate ( that being my garden in disrepairs) I just did not have the energy to do both with the nursing of mum etc.Being the size my garden is that is why I am posting. I have never been afraid of hard work and can do as my husband sais the work of 10 men. Thats because I am stubborn. But this job before me now I really do need the help of spray. Apart from heavy mulching etc ... to try and keep the weeds at bay.. newspaper etc. I found it easy to weed through glyphosate spraying. You have to when you are on 5 acres. Anyway I have so many beautiful things I don't want to take out. I still see the beauty in my garden the bones are there. Now to tidy up ( big time ) so to speak.
Thanks again Ted.
Maxine xxx

bug-guy
09-01-2008, 10:21 PM
look at sethoxydim at jdl good over the top will kill alot of grassy weeds on a large variety of ornamentals... will not touch sedgegrass ... label is like 36 pages

Maxine Smith
09-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Thankyou all for your help and suggestions. Much appreciated
Maxine