PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to manage my domains?

fool32696
09-02-2008, 01:58 AM
I just purchased 3 domains for a spin off mowing business specializing in low cost basic lawn service (My main company specializes in high end maintenance and installs). I will link them to my main site but want them separate. The domains are www.mowCity1.com, www.mowCity2.com, and www.mowCity3.com (three major cities that I plan to service). I've read that I'll be penalized by Google for building three separate sites that are very similar (only locale information different on sites). I've read it's better to make one site and to forward the others to that address using a 301 permanent redirect. I want to see SEO benefit from having a domain with a keyword and city in the title. Is this possible using a redirect? Any suggestions will be very appreciated. I'm looking for advice from people with Google SEO knowledge. Thanks guys.

TrimmerAssist
09-02-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm not 100 percent positive about the theory of duplicate content. I do know that when people create these affiliate sites where they are all selling the same thing, then google will see these extra sites as trival and wont rank them well. But these are large numbers of the same content sites. You are only talking about 3.

If you use different key words on each site, different tittle pages and tweak the content so its worded different then I dont think you need to worry about the duplicate content thing at all. If you want 3 different sites, then surly you have a reason and different keywords shouldnt be a problem at all.

An advantage of having 3 differet sites is that you will have more keyword targeting potentual. Another benifit to seperate sites is that they can link together giveing you immediate backlinks.

Believe me or not, entirely up to you - heh , but I've learned from first hand expereince that google cares less what your domain name is. It is the page title, meta description and your keywords that gets you up the list on google. I have over 100 pages hosted on one domain name www.trimmerassist.net and when I make a new site I just ad it on to that same host like www.trimmerassist/Trimmerassist, or www.trimmerassist.net/december2012

I can make first page with google in 2 to 3 weeks with the keywords I pick, and that is without a domain name that is truly specific to the topic.

I host all my domains on one hosting service because I only have to pay the hosting in one very small yearly fee. If I hosted all 100 or so on different plans that would cost a fortune.

Google does not like redirects, so I would avoid that. If you bought 3 domain names that you want to use, then make 3 different sites. If you can live without having your exact domain names you wanted then host them all on one site like www.mowcity.com www.mowcity.com/mowcity2 www.mowcity.com/mowcity3 This would use your primary domain "mowcity" as your index page, and then you basically just create two more pages named as the last two examples above. All 3 can have a navigation bar with pages under themselves. Its hard for people to believe that the domain name really means SQUAT .. but its the truth. So if you are married to the idea of useing the exact domain names you mentioned, then create 3 differet sites. You can ask me to clarify if you need too :)

TrimmerAssist
09-02-2008, 07:41 PM
I guess you wanted basically the same page just in 3 different cities? You can hit the meta description and keywords like this ... "Welcome to MowCity Fayetteville Tn, Lawncare Service" next site .. "Welcome to Mowcity Decatur Tn, Lawncare professionals" next site ... "Welcome to Mowcity Griffin, Tn, Lawn Maintenance service"

All 3 are very different ... everything in quotes will be bold and a size bigger than the rest of the content to establish the key words. Plus you will be able to use 3 different target search phrases like "lawn maintenance service" - "Lawncare service" - "lawncare professionals" and since all your pages are linked they can easily find the right city if they get directed to the wrong page.

ps.... please dont chastise me anymore ;)

fool32696
09-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Thanks, that's exactly the advice I was looking for. I'd like to have them as separate sites but I'm wondering if I want to spend three times as much. Maybe having the additional links will help?

TrimmerAssist
09-03-2008, 01:25 AM
Well thats why I only have the one hosting site, because of the expense. I wasnt exagerating when I said I had 100 web sites, so it was the only way I could go at the time, and in hind site it worked out just fine.

If I were you, I'd host them all on one place, google wise it makes no difference. Break the sites down like I showed you ... use the keywords like I showed you, and of course link each site together.

I dont know how much you know about SEO, but you will be in the google "sandbox" for anywhere from 3 months to 12 months after it goes on line. Meaning google wont even index it until after this period.

If you already have an exisiting web site, then you should just ad to that one, to avoid the sandbox. Keeping the same web site, and just adding to it with the other two versions for the other city's. That way the other two versions will have the page rank and traffic rank of your existing site and you will avoid the sandbox, so if you do good keyword selection, you should get noticed in 2 to 3 weeks. If you already have a site, let me see it, give me the link ...

TrimmerAssist
09-03-2008, 01:31 AM
One more thing .. even if they are hosted on the same place, each version will show up in the google index because they all have different keywords, so each link from one to the other will be considored a backlink even thoght they are all really the same domain.

fool32696
09-03-2008, 01:56 AM
I PM'd my website to you. I don't like people who google my site reading stuff like this. I see what you're saying about using the existing site. I really want to avoid my current customers from knowing I'm the same company as www.mow"city".com and vice versa. Can I set up a page like www.currentsite.com/mow"city".com and have www.mow"city".com link to that page using a 301 redirect. Also to go one step further can I mask it so that is shows www.mow"city".com even thought they are looking at www.currentsite.com/mow"city".com. I hope you follow what I'm asking, I'm starting to confuse myself. Thanks for all of the help.