PDA

View Full Version : advertising by doing jobs for realtor!

Hardscaping
09-02-2008, 03:24 AM
ok i am currently pricing out a good bit of work for a realtor. I am thinking of giving him a really good price on all labour costs of the job. Thinking like a 30% to 40% difference of pricing.

Now i am just wondering have anybody every done anything for a realtor and gave them a good price so that you can be recomended and basically have advertising through them.

With being a realtor the guy deals with alot of potential customers for me and could possibly give me a really good name and alot of work. So do i price his job to get it and do a really extensive job for him and he then in return of the good price recomends me to his customers. with keeping pricing confidential!

Does this type of advertising ever really work and has any of you ever done it? what is your guys scoop on this idea?

Hardscaping
09-02-2008, 03:28 AM
like for example there is a flag walkway just cut down in the grass that he wants put in. there will be one tonne of flag there at a cost including delivery to me of $450 dollars this will cover approx 110 sq ft to 120 sq ft now i was thinking something along the lines of charging $\375 to install it and he covers the materials like the flag and the gravel for under the flag. i mean it will only take me maybe 2 to 3 hours to install it with me an one labourer.

JimmyStew
09-02-2008, 08:50 AM
Personally, I wouldn't give them any sort of deal or discount unless there is a mutual understanding that you will get referrals from them.

I used to do the maintenance at a local Realtor's office and I got a few jobs from home buyers who saw me working there when they were in to see the agent. The following year, I offered to discount their contract if they let me put up a small tasteful sign in one of the beds with my company name on it and they declined. That was their prerogative, but I would have been disappointed had I given them the discount and received nothing in return. I also currently pay for an add on another Realtor's "new home buyer" packet. Realtors are definitely good people to get to know and it may well be worth paying them for advertising or referrals, but make sure you are going to get something in return, don't just hope they will.

stuvecorp
09-02-2008, 10:02 AM
ok i am currently pricing out a good bit of work for a realtor. I am thinking of giving him a really good price on all labour costs of the job. Thinking like a 30% to 40% difference of pricing.

Now i am just wondering have anybody every done anything for a realtor and gave them a good price so that you can be recomended and basically have advertising through them.

With being a realtor the guy deals with alot of potential customers for me and could possibly give me a really good name and alot of work. So do i price his job to get it and do a really extensive job for him and he then in return of the good price recomends me to his customers. with keeping pricing confidential!

Does this type of advertising ever really work and has any of you ever done it? what is your guys scoop on this idea?

You could win the lottery too. They dangle the potential work and get suckers to do work cheap until they find another sucker.

Hardscaping
09-02-2008, 11:02 AM
well the guy is letting me put up the sign while i am doing the work and for a while after too. We have already spoke about the referals, he was the one to mention it in the first place. I am going to give him a good price maybe just not so much of a discount.

Just the water feature i designed for him alone is worth about 2000 in materials, i am going to install for 1250 for just labour.

THe other things like the 170 pieces of $1.55 wedgestone that i will be installing in the front flower garden, that costs total for the job about $590 after saw charge and delivery of blocks and buying the gravel. i will be installing this for $400.00

these prices for install are just for labour nothing else, he will be purchasing all materials.

NNJLandman
09-02-2008, 05:25 PM
You could win the lottery too. They dangle the potential work and get suckers to do work cheap until they find another sucker.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Realtors are worried on turning the biggest buck they can. If they can get you to do work for them cheap in return for maybe if the remember in the course of a sale to give the buyer your number. Give them your price...don't discount it. Business is business. I would be more happy making money off the guy and having him be a satisfied customer that refers friends, family, and clients rather then someone who is "obligated" to pass on my number. Don't sell him on a price sell em on your work.

kootoomootoo
09-02-2008, 10:59 PM
here fishy fishy

PatriotLandscape
09-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Is the reputation you want him to spread around to people "hey i got a guy and he is real cheap"

Realtors are just above used car salesmen in my book they are always looking for a shmuck to do work on the cheap.

Turn it around and have him get the work for you then you can sell yourself short on his job.

Hardscaping
09-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Well i am pricing out the stuff for him as follows

A pondless with water fall and stream about 8' long supply and install for $3000 not a bad price for my first one that i am ever doing! the pondless will cost me about 1700 plus the install fee of about 1300.00

Then there is a walkway about 60 feet long by 3 feet wide. WIth flagstone the walkway will just be the flagstone cut down into the ground and a little bit of gravel put in there then the flag will be put into the area we cut out, so that the flag is down in the ground and there is gras going to be growing through the joints. It will be 1" flagstone and will be 1 ton to cover about 120 sq ft my cost is 300 plus tax and delivery, plus the gravel about 20 bux of gravel. so about 450 dollars cost and i am charginf him $400.00 to install. i think this sounds reasonable, i normally would want to charge alot more but i think for what i am doing the price is not bad.

Matt k
09-03-2008, 06:17 PM
You have not been in this business very long have you? Don't give him any discounts...take it from me, I have been there and done that many of times and have not had my back scratched in return. If you want to get in a relationship with the guy, give him value to pass on to his clients (initial clean ups, mowing, etc. for homes sold or bought), definitely NO installation work. Give him evaluations on properties just listed, or refer him to your friends and family. He is no different than you, do you think he will give you a discount if he sold your home? Realtors are a great source for work, but you have make him show you the luv before handing out discounts.

Hardscaping
09-03-2008, 09:51 PM
so the pricing i have said here is that a good price or am i underbidding my self by way too much, It is lower then my normal price but i still will make a bit of money.

stuvecorp
09-03-2008, 10:09 PM
It is lower then my normal price but i still will make a bit of money.

How does that help you grow a business if you undervalue yourself?

PaperCutter
09-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Ever hear the old saying "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush?" I've had a few customers dangle the referral carrot in front of me. I tell them all the same thing: "Your price is what it is, but I know you have more you want to do. If you can talk me up that's great, and if it turns into something... I will show my appreciation." Keep it vague- undersell and overdeliver. That's how you get customers to love you, in everything you do.

TPS
09-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Do quality work at a reasonable price and he will refer you anyway. I am a realtor, and I wouldn't trust half the people in the business.

YardPro
09-04-2008, 10:20 PM
don't do it...
charge them a fair price, and do a great job... that's all you need to get their reccomendations

Hardscaping
09-04-2008, 10:38 PM
yeah i have to go there on saturday now to show him the revised plans and the pricing. he now wants me to make a full out flagstone walkway 120 sq ft i am going to charge him like 1400 for the walkway now. he doesn't like the look of the flagstone when cut down into the ground as he asked me to design for him. so now the price will almost double and if he wants anything other than pea stone between the joints he will have to pay even more then this. i need to get like 3 yards of gravel for the base dig out all that area down 7 to 8 inches now and compact the gravel to 6 inches and then lay the flag onto 1 inch of sand then put peastone into the joint i will leave a bit of a gap to be able to put the peastone down. BUT he might want me to mortar between the joints cause i didn't really understand him on the phone but he was saying something like we want a nice solid walkway.

I am going to show him these ideas an i would say he will not even go for it because it will cost him more. (CHEAP)

Hardscaping
09-04-2008, 10:44 PM
I have revised the design of the water feature to be a cost of $1700 dollars, half the time to install now and i am going to charge him a total now to install the water feature of $2900

Matt k
09-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Why are you looking for affirmation on your pricing? I don't think anyone cares about your price, its if you are purposely leaving money on the table to kiss this guys but! It seems you are looking for everyone to agree with your decision to give this guy a below market price, and it does not sound like you are going to get it. If you are in business for yourself, you should know what you need to make everyday to stay in business. And...if you are not making that, then your price is too low. It is up to you if you want to make any profit, but the bottom line is you have to get your operating expenses covered. If the amount you have above covers that, then by all means charge it, if it doesn't and you still charge it, then good luck! If you want to give me money, I will start to tell everyone how good you are, and you don't even have to do any work! Now..that seems like a deal to me!

If this guy wants the work done by YOU, then he will be willing to pay the price you command. If he is looking for the cheapest work possible, do you really think he will give you quality referrals. The best referrals come from people that are in love with your work. Now.. that work could be cheap, but it is still the value in the end product they are recommending. If you did not do a good job, it would not matter how much money you charge, you would not get a good referral.

It may be a Realtor today, a property manager tomorrow, and a developer the next day! Are you going to give everyone that may have contacts discounts? Sounds like a very unprofitable way to run a biz....I could think of other things to loose money at rather than hard physical labor. No offense meant, I am just sick of seeing people in this industry devaluing their God given talents. You dictate your price, not the customer...it is just up to them to sign the check.

Hardscaping
09-05-2008, 08:29 PM
yeah i agree with what you say. The prices i have stated easily cover my expenses and i can easily make money at those prices, but not as much as i would charging full price. I am going to tell the guy my prices if he complains then i will send him on his way. I think my prices are far from high. thank you guys for the input i will remember the help pointed out to me in this thread. i will let you guys know how things turn out.

PatriotLandscape
09-05-2008, 09:00 PM
As Paver Pete says "It's not our job to make it affordable. It's your job to afford it."

Greenway Landscapes
09-12-2008, 11:33 PM
There are a lot of realtors who don't really perform well as realtors and so they hold down second jobs to pay the bills. If you do this I recommend being sure that he is a top performer as a realtor and is doing it full time as his primary or even sole form of income.

Hardscaping
09-12-2008, 11:35 PM
I have decided not to do this job. I don't want to be put in a pickle with a person that can potentially wreck my name.

I have decided to tell him that things have come up and that i am too busy to do the work for him.