PDA

View Full Version : New Job????

Raider
09-02-2008, 03:10 PM
A couple of weeks ago I stopped at a nursing home / assisted living facility to talk to manager about snow removal/mowing bids. Things went real well and I felt pretty confident that I would be getting the work. About a week later she called me and asked if I was real busy in the winter and wanted to know if I would be interested in accepting a position as Maintenance & Safety Coordinator. 20 hours per week, flexible schedule, $13.75 per hour, plus mileage (.59 per mile). I would also be able to hire myself to do all outdoor maintenance as long as I get other bids to show my price is reasonable. The current guy is doing all mowing and trimming for $260 per mow, and I know I could do the whole place in less than 3 hours very easily, so I would be well within his bid. This is the first year open so they have not hired snow removal yet so I am not sure on this yet. Anyway, today I accepted the job on a trial basis. I am actually involved in a couple of other businesses but I thought this seemed kind of interesting. They told me I could take over mowing immediately if I wanted, but I thought it would be fair to let other lco finish out this year. I will be doing a lot of OSHA, Blood Born Pathogen, and safety training to new and current employees, as well as oversee hiring of contractors (which will be easy because most of building is under warranty because it is new), so it will be interesting.

Raider
09-02-2008, 04:38 PM
sorry, I just realized where I posted this. I don't know how to move it.

STIHL GUY
09-02-2008, 09:54 PM
sounds like a pretty cool deal to me.

HBLandscaping
09-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Where can I get a deal like that... Way to go, looks like you landed a great oppertunity.

freddyc
09-06-2008, 02:20 PM
$13.75/hr part time and you're taking on the safety responsibility????????????????

No thanks, Good luck to you!!

supercuts
09-06-2008, 04:05 PM
$13.75/hr part time and you're taking on the safety responsibility????????????????

No thanks, Good luck to you!!

my thoughts exactly.

Raider
09-06-2008, 10:04 PM
My "safety" responsibilities include showing training videos to new employees, and having them sign paperwork saying they watched them. Also, I have to lead monthly fire drills, and two tornado drills a year. I was a teacher for 18 years so they basically hired me to be an instructor. Not to tough!!! I had the rare combination of teacher, construction and maintenance, and lawncare/snow removal. This is not that great of deal financially for me, but I am interested in this type of work on a larger scale someday when I grow up (I am 41). This kind of experience will help me down the road, and if not, I will quit.