PDA

View Full Version : Summer has gone already

Gravel Rat
09-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Its September already and fall is starting :cry:

I don't know about other areas but this has to be one of the wetter poor weather summer season. Global warming didn't happen this year.

Tourism based business took a good hit with poor weather and fuel costs this year. Not good for the landcapers either nothing is really growing with the wet weather then the Arizona heat that kills every plant and rains again.

The weather isn't really affecting the construction industry there really isn't much going on.

All I hope is something happens in the area or there will be lots of people collecting welfare for the rest of the year :dizzy:

kreft
09-02-2008, 04:17 PM
So you work for the goverment? can you shed some light on that?

Gravel Rat
09-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Not when your job is on the line :cry:

Who knows I might not have the job the way the B.C. ecomomy is going or they will make my job part time.

No job in B.C. is guaranteed you could be unemployeed tommorow.

Hey I'am not a excavtor operator wondering if I will be working the next day.

Junior M
09-02-2008, 04:32 PM
you know gr all you ever say is that your job is on the line or you dont know if you will still have your job next week and everybody always asks you what you do for the govt and you seem to go around the question.. I am kinda starting to doubt you even have a job.. if you do what do you do for the govt.?

CAT powered
09-02-2008, 04:46 PM
I've been thinking the exact same thing, JLM.

One minute he's saying he's glad he works for the gov't so he doesn't have to worry about losing his job now he's saying he's not sure he'll have a job next week.

wanabe
09-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Typical govt worker! GR, just because it is slow in your area don't mean a thing about mine. Just last week I had a small job, and needed 75 ton of rock hauled in. Went to my friends supply yard to order, and they were out! It took a couple days to get it to the job, they are just swamped. Pretty bad when I need to pre order this little amount if rock. Before I could call and it would be there in a couple hours, but not this year. Nobody else had any in there yard either. Not a single truck sitting in my neck of the woods. All are turning and burning 12-14 hrs a day right now. Dirt work is the same. Some contractors are even having the biggest year ever this year. I have even got 4 nice sized jobs lined up, and I only dig in my spare time.

TAF
09-02-2008, 06:18 PM
WANABE, I know the feeling. Lots of people calling for small and large projects. I am either runnning my equipment. moving it or doing some routine maint.
I am also a part timer, but have work lined up till December. All of it word of mouth. Good service, positive attitude and honest hard work has brought me more and more opportunity every year.

I have NO comments regarding GR. Most all posts are the same, I don't have time for them.......................

Dirt Digger2
09-02-2008, 06:38 PM
company i work for is actually pretty busy...already booking work into Jan./Feb. which is nice...they laid off guys last winter for the first time in 30 years..doesn't look like they will have to do it this year hopefully....for my sake too...i need that 3 weeks of work during my winter break haha

Dirt Digger2
09-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Some contractors are even having the biggest year ever this year. I have even got 4 nice sized jobs lined up, and I only dig in my spare time.

i have heard that a lot...a local plaster company hired a whole mess of new employees this summer to keep up, a well driller we do work with just bought a new $500,000 rig because they are swamped with work so he had to hire 3 more guys too, stone masons are having a stellar year...depends on your client-el, but things are not nearly as bad now as they were at this time last year....i see them only getting better, especially after the election is over

RockSet N' Grade
09-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Action picture shot: sticking finger down throat, upchucking another GRot "poor me" scenario. Don't even have to read those posts anymore, they haven't changed in 2 plus years........The defination of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. We are proactive and busy AND making a profit AND purchasing new "niche" market equipment. Ted Turner has a good saying " Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!"

bobcat_ron
09-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Summer did pass by PDQ here too, I can't really remember the last time I broke a sweat, bring on the ditch cleaning season!

mrsops
09-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Summer did pass by PDQ here too, I can't really remember the last time I broke a sweat, bring on the ditch cleaning season!

hit 88 today in New York!!!!!

Junior M
09-02-2008, 08:59 PM
I am not wanting to complain but you guys are talking about your work load and we really havent had alot of work this year.. but it is really understandable.. It is our first year really being out there in advertisement and getting to know alot of people and we havent really get alot of work but like i said I can understand because of our first year and the economy.. But hopefully it will pick up after the election..

But seriously GR where are you? no posts yet..

and ron dont forget lots of pictures when ditching season comes around!!

ccstrebe
09-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Temp gauge in my truck today said 110 degrees here in Yuma, we still got a month to go before it cools down.

mrsops
09-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Temp gauge in my truck today said 110 degrees here in Yuma, we still got a month to go before it cools down.

yeah but isn't there no humidity out there?

stuvecorp
09-02-2008, 10:58 PM
yeah but isn't there no humidity out there?

Does it matter? 110 is 110. I hate it when we are in the 80's.

ccstrebe
09-02-2008, 11:00 PM
37% right now. Was alot more earlier in the day when the wind was blowing from the south. When the wind blows from the South, which is all summer, it brings in moisture from the Gulf of California. Not as humid as back East but you guys aren't running 110 during the day and high, high 90's during the night.

Of course our winters are to die for. We only have 2 seasons here, 8 months of good weather (Winter) and 4 months of miserable weather (Summer).

Scag48
09-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Been a strange weather year. This spring was unbelievable. Here in the Seattle area, we typically get 3-5 snow days a year, tops. This year, on the other hand, maybe coopers can verify, but we had almost a dozen IIRC. So, we hardly ever get snow and in the middle of April it snowed here, absolutely nuts. I had 4" of snow on the ground in mid April in a place where it rarely, seriously snows. So, the work season had a terrible start with the weather, let alone the economy was slowing down, we were fighting 2 battles this spring. Winter is a tough guess right now, I really don't know what's going to happen. There's lots of state funded highway work going on, but the company I work for does no road work. I'm hearing there might be work for us about 65 miles away, hard to say. I know once we get the mass trucking done where I'm at right now in 2 weeks, I'll have a better idea of what's going to happen, at least for me.

mrsops
09-02-2008, 11:10 PM
37% right now. Was alot more earlier in the day when the wind was blowing from the south. When the wind blows from the South, which is all summer, it brings in moisture from the Gulf of California. Not as humid as back East but you guys aren't running 110 during the day and high, high 90's during the night.

Of course our winters are to die for. We only have 2 seasons here, 8 months of good weather (Winter) and 4 months of miserable weather (Summer).

is there alot of work out there in arizona?

RockSet N' Grade
09-03-2008, 12:55 AM
CCS........I think your cab temp. gauge is just broken. It can't be 110 out there in the middle of the desert in August can it? :) I miss the Arizona high desert, but don't miss the summers where you are.......you ought to be up Prescott/Flag way during summer and down south during "cook time".

ccstrebe
09-03-2008, 01:58 AM
CCS........I think your cab temp. gauge is just broken. It can't be 110 out there in the middle of the desert in August can it? :) I miss the Arizona high desert, but don't miss the summers where you are.......you ought to be up Prescott/Flag way during summer and down south during "cook time".

Actually we have a second home up your way in Salt Lake (Holiday), we try to get up there as much as we can to get out of the heat during the summer. The kids love going to Lagoon.

ccstrebe
09-03-2008, 02:08 AM
is there alot of work out there in arizona?

New residential construction has dropped in half in the last year but residential remodels has gone up a little. We only do commercial and so far we have been steady.

We have been in business 22 yr so we are established enough to be able to ride out the ups and downs. And if it did slow down I figure I could always use our good reputation and go after some of the residential work out there.

Gravel Rat
09-03-2008, 04:04 AM
I was working today and who knows what is going to happen you can't trust the Liberal gov't B.C needs a change of gov't before Gordon Campbell distroys the province completely. All the Liberals care about is the stupid 2010 Olympics while Vancouver has the worst crime you can imagine. There are thousands of homeless people in Vancouver. The B.C. health care is a mess people are dying in hospital hallways because there isn't enough doctors.

The Liberal gov't is raking in billions of tax dollars and giving themselves big fat raises while people live in poverty. The cost of living in B.C. is sky rocketing to the moon while peoples wages are not increasing. The Campbell Liberals don't care that businesses in B.C. are colasping and going broke.

Tourism based businesses are really slow this year with the huge drop in American tourists 70% in most areas. I guess with our CND dollar being so high and the American dollar with barely any value and american citizens broke they are not traveling north to B.C. . Albertan tourists are down even German tourists were not as many as in the past.

Boating was non existant this year very few people used their boats so marine type business have felt the drop in business. Even USA based private yachts are down this year can't afford the fuel.

Back to the original question who thought summer went by fast and are you guys experiencing un-seasonal weather. The environuts keep saying global warming well there wasn't much warming this summer. A few hot days and the rest was wet and raining.

I sure hope winter doesn't bring the bad snow season it gets cold enough at night now it feels like its going to snow :laugh:

Like I said it probably hasn't been a good year for landscaping with grass that doesn't grow and plants that have no chance of surviving. Even invasive weeds like the hymilian (sp) black berry bushes never matured this year.

Junior M
09-03-2008, 07:10 AM
ok GR what do you do for the goverment?!? I believe it has been asked three or four times on just this thread and multiple times before now.. so I am going to ask again WHAT DO YOU DO? You totally went around the question again and you keep talking about losing your job and being glad you had a job today.. yeah that is all good that your are glad you have a job but you can only take that so far.. You are taking it to the point where you only have something to do once a month even though you have a job to go to everyday.

Just incase you forgot what I and multiple others have asked you.. WHAT DO YOU DO FOR THE GOVT?

bobcat_ron
09-03-2008, 09:38 AM
ok GR what do you do for the goverment?!? I believe it has been asked three or four times on just this thread and multiple times before now.. so I am going to ask again WHAT DO YOU DO? You totally went around the question again and you keep talking about losing your job and being glad you had a job today.. yeah that is all good that your are glad you have a job but you can only take that so far.. You are taking it to the point where you only have something to do once a month even though you have a job to go to everyday.

Just incase you forgot what I and multiple others have asked you.. WHAT DO YOU DO FOR THE GOVT?

My guess is an estimator person. He's not very good at it. :laugh:

talus
09-03-2008, 11:07 AM
I think his job may be weather related. I heard they hired him because he was the only one that could see the black cloud looming over B.C. Maybe thats what B.C. stands for? I always thought it was British Columbia. :laugh:

Hummer
09-03-2008, 11:40 AM

I think GR must have a job that allows him to sit at a computer all day at work and cruise the internet, in particular LawnSite.com.

TAF
09-03-2008, 12:42 PM
I think GR is a consultant to the GOVT regarding heavy equipment.

He knows something about everything and has been there and done that too............no matter what it might be.

bobcat_ron
09-03-2008, 03:23 PM
I think GR is a consultant to the GOVT regarding heavy equipment.

He knows something about everything and has been there and done that too............no matter what it might be.

We have 1 of those a-holes working for our municipality too, that jack ass thought it would be a good move to buy a Unimog and 7 attachments, the price tag was $750,000 alone, then it gets stuck off-road, the left seated driver can't see the right side mounted mower boom and rips it off and bends all the street signs over and it's useless as a snow plow. They could easily equip all the side and rear mount mower tractors with blades on the front for snow plowing and still drive off road for that price. :laugh:

Gravel Rat
09-03-2008, 04:51 PM
I'am in the transportation field and work as a minor manager and deal with the public.

If the highways maintenance contractor wasn't so poorly managed and them not paying a decent wage I would be working there. Employees last about a 6 months to a year and quit because of management and the company cost cutting everything like wages. Starting wage used to be 18 dollars per hour 5 years ago now its 14 dollars per hour. Top wage was 23 dollars per hour now its down to 21. Your not employeed as a full time employee so no benefits.

I could have gone to work for one of the food service companies but management there isn't any better your pushed to the limit the guys I know hate the job but have to stick with it.

Talking to some guys yesterday we were talking about Kewit and how mismanaged Kewit is and how they treat employees. Glad I never did go apply for a job with them. Kewit has too many chiefs and not enough indians it makes you wonder how anything gets done.

One project in the area they have hired and fired so many operators they run out of people that will work for them the burned their bridges. Now they are hiring contractors to subcontract for them and they want out they can't stand Kewit because of the screw ups and bad managing.

Kewit managers will fire you if you scratch the paint off counter weight on the excavator. The project is so far behind and probably way over budget because of Kewit screw ups and bad project management. Now they are cost cutting because they are bleeding so bad. It is just making things worse employees are sick of it and the sub-contractors are too.

There isn't much other work going on. If you want to a excavation contractor and ask for a job they will laugh at you even if you had 20 plus years of experience. It is only part time work now maybe a couple days a month or your on call.

The realestate market has to come back before any construction or excavating work happens. With the realestate market turned off like a light switch the only work going on is people that bought couple years ago are doing something with their property. The fast paced landsclearing and building get it done has ended. Developers were paying thousands of dollars more per month to get their subdivisions or developments finished before the competition.

Commercial projects are non existant the commercial facilities are already in place and have been for the last 30 years. Commercial developers don't want to build because the taxes are too high and there is no demand.

There will be a major market correction some of these excavation companies will have to close up shop. The work out there can't support the amount of contractors in the market. Historically there has been a ratio of contractors for work supply.

A good analogy would be filling a shot glass with a gallon bucket. The shot glass is the amount of work and the gallon bucket is the contractors going for that work.

Now that forestry contractors are out of work in the bush they are taking on jobs that the excavation contractors would usually have. Forestry contractors can do some jobs quicker because they have larger equipment like 35-40 ton excavators and are able to do blasting and landclearing.

With the landscaping market that isn't big money its a living and thats about it. Many of the excavation contractors do landscaping ie buiding rock walls and prep work for other landscaping work.

Myself I have to stick it out till next year with the gov't and see what happens from there. There will be lots of guys hurting for bucks this winter with the work falling off and looking for work. I guess stock boys in grocery stores will be a job everybody will be after.

The B.C. gov't is squeezing people for money with extremely high house taxes and taxes on everything else. You have a home owner paying 2 grand a month house payment they can't afford to do anything else. Even hiring somebody to mow their lawn is out of the question.

It is a dog eat dog market now you have to play dirty pool to get jobs by undercutting the competion even if you do the job at a loss.

Just the way it goes I was told this realestate boom/cycle was going to hurt 4 years ago. Too many people thinking they were going to strike it rich. Too many people jumped on the excavator and dump truck bandwagon.

Construction is the only real employer left with logging going down the tubes, commercial fishing is going down the same tube. Service industry jobs are still there but you can't survive off of 10-12 dollars per hour with the cost of living so high. If you can find a place to rent for less than 800 dollars a month your stuck paying 90% of your paycheck for rent.

If you work for one the local landscapers top wage would be 15 dollars per hour which is a poor wage. Even 20 dollars per hour is starvation wages.

RockSet N' Grade
09-03-2008, 05:33 PM
opppssss, where is it.........oh, there it is.........playing my little violin in the key of "poor me".......

bobcat_ron
09-03-2008, 05:47 PM
.....too many chiefs and not enough indians..........

That's what it's like here, all the good hard working labourers are getting the cushy jobs and all the lazy inexperienced jerk-offs are taking up those positions.

wanabe
09-03-2008, 05:54 PM
GR, we are have some controll on what we make and what we do for a living. I worked for several different employers, but kept working my way up so that I could make the money that I do. Please do not stand arround and point fingers and complain about what you make. If you are unhappy, then find another way to make a living. There is always a better option just arround the corner if you try hard enough. You just need to be able to take a risk and go for it.

bobcat_ron
09-03-2008, 05:56 PM
GR, we are have some controll on what we make and what we do for a living. I worked for several different employers, but kept working my way up so that I could make the money that I do. Please do not stand arround and point fingers and complain about what you make. If you are unhappy, then find another way to make a living. There is always a better option just arround the corner if you try hard enough. You just need to be able to take a risk and go for it.

Yeah or just get laid. http://deephousepage.com/smilies/focking.gif

Either way, someone's gonna get screwed good.

Gravel Rat
09-03-2008, 06:18 PM
No the chiefs are all the inexperienced guys that got out of engineering school and are stupider than a pile of bricks. Nobody can make a decision and its finger pointing. The stupid mistakes the guys I was talking to yesterday that are being made by Kewit is unbeleiveable.

There is no poor me its just reality maybe it might be different in the USA but companies in B.C. have a bad attitude to employees be it private sector or not. Most companies now have managment teams not even in the Province and are making decisions. Companies in B.C. wonder why they can't keep employees the reason being is they treat employees like crap. Too cheap to hire more staff so they push the employees they do have to the limit.

Too many companies now are top heavy with management you want to get something done it has to go through 50 different people before you get a answer.

Everything is cut down costs do it cheap as you can.

It makes me sick when you see companies on the news saying labour shortage and they want the gov't to open up more immigration for cheap labour. B.C. companies can't get it through their pea brains if they paid a decent wage and quit treating employees like dog crap there would be people willing to work.

Because Alberta is going alot stronger than B.C. and the oil companies treat the employees better and guys are making more money thousands of trades people moved to Alberta from B.C. .

Working for the highways dept used to be a good job but now the highways maintenance contracts have been underbid and under cut so bad the maintenance contractors are cheaping out. The highways maintenance should go back to gov't run instead of private companies doing it.

Gravel Rat
09-03-2008, 06:30 PM
The only way you get ahead in most companies nowwadays is kiss azz and I don't kiss anybodies azz. Like I said most companies now have such a bad attitude and its all about filling the managers pockets. Cost cutting and greedy and pay you the cheapest wage they can.

I can go to the gravel mines to work but they are no better my relatives that work at one of the mines said the politics and bullcrap are getting worse. It is like what I said cost cutting and running the employees to the limit. Too cheap to hire more employees. The company that owns the mine wants to produce lots of product with the least amount of employees so they push the employees they have to do the work of 2 people.

Employers attitudes need to change or nobody wants to work. The guys I work with don't care anymore we just put in time you want to treat us like second class citizens.

The greedyness has to stop.

Dirt Digger2
09-03-2008, 06:57 PM
The company that owns the mine wants to produce lots of product with the least amount of employees so they push the employees they have to do the work of 2 people.

hmmmm thats funny...to me that sounds like a typical way of running a company...companies don't exist to serve as a charity to their employees...if you don't like it, leave...if you don't like the area, leave...if you want to better yourself go out and get some form of education...whether it be night school or some form of an associates degree...your not one for kissing ass and neither am i, but for some reason i always thought that those type of people dont complain either...if i don't like something i change it...i could never have someone sign my paychecks for the rest of my life...thats why when i get my license i am out on my own...get off the couch and do something

Gravel Rat
09-03-2008, 08:19 PM
No the mines are running the least amount of crew they can get away with which is the same with most companies now all about cost cutting and filling the owners pockets.

When you run with a bare minimum crew your pushing the guys hard. For me I can't even get sick or get time off because they won't hire people for relief. That costs money we can't do that but the upper managment gets raises and lives the life of riley.

With the job I'am at I pretty well watch my life tick away not a good feeling but there isn't much choices right now.

CAT powered
09-03-2008, 09:16 PM
We know you're used to the government, GR. However in the real world it doesn't take 4 people to install a sign post.

In the real world employees are hired to be of service to the company. The company isn't there to make your life as easy as it can.

Let me explain to you in case you don't get it.

If the company goes out of business because they couldn't pay all their employees and they went bankrupt then everyone is out of work. That means NOBODY has a job.

Would you rather get worked hard and still have a job or be able to sit back on your couch all day because the company went out of business since it went bankrupt?

mrusk
09-03-2008, 09:22 PM
I get away with as little employees as possible too. What about you guys?

bobcat_ron
09-03-2008, 09:25 PM

No employees for me either, no benefits, no medical coverage, just a tad bit of insurance and no social life, just a kick in the ass every now and then.

CAT powered
09-03-2008, 09:27 PM
I've got 1 hired guy. He costs me 30$ per billable hour of work on a TD25 Dresser which is a CAT D8 equivalent. He runs it pushing trash on a concrete floor at a transfer station that is connected by piping and conveyor to a trash to energy power plant.

crab
09-03-2008, 09:31 PM
rat ,you know more about trucks than me,you seem to know allot about minutia in general.that said ,you are a whiny annoying socialist ******.i will not respond to you again ,and when i see you're name on a post i wont even bother to read it.wawawawawawawawaawawawawawawawawawawawawa,you should put you're truck to work and have a few puffs of the tail pipe.you are useless whiner!:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cr y:

CAT powered
09-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Let's not stoop to name calling, gentlemen. We aren't children here. (except Junior)

ksss
09-03-2008, 10:20 PM

Absolutely. I built my business around that philosophy. There is no getting around the fact though that I need at least one real dependable guy that run equipment and drive truck to run effectively.

RockSet N' Grade
09-03-2008, 10:43 PM
I have one guy who has been with me going on 4 years now. Took me 30 plus guys that I can remember to hook up with a match. We know each others style so well we barely talk.....I try to stay one step ahead of him and it seems he is always ahead of me. We get along well - I spend more time with him than my wife, so we better get along. If I need other help either labor or more equipment or bigger equipment - I call on a small net work of friendly competators and we knock it out together. It has been working. I don't want employee's, but my body is aging so I need help....

Gravel Rat
09-03-2008, 11:24 PM
My point is these companies hire more managers but god no they won't hire employees that make the company money. You start pushing employees ragged thats a safety issue.

Too many of these companies would rather force employees work excessive over time. They won't train people because it costs money.

YellowDogSVC
09-03-2008, 11:36 PM

Does 98 degrees with 70% humidity get me a cold drink? I need a sweatband for my glasses and a my armpits are getting a rash from all the antiperspirant! The refrigerator in the barn quit today and my 5 day ice cooler holds ice for about 5 hours! Thank the good Lord for enclosed cabs and A/C. My love handles got nice and crisp today thanks to Bobcat's vent design but at least I was cool at the core. too bad I have open the door to change attachments. I'm waiting for the attachment that plugs in the hoses for me! :weightlifter:

ccstrebe
09-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Does 98 degrees with 70% humidity get me a cold drink? I need a sweatband for my glasses and a my armpits are getting a rash from all the antiperspirant! The refrigerator in the barn quit today and my 5 day ice cooler holds ice for about 5 hours! Thank the good Lord for enclosed cabs and A/C. My love handles got nice and crisp today thanks to Bobcat's vent design but at least I was cool at the core. too bad I have open the door to change attachments. I'm waiting for the attachment that plugs in the hoses for me! :weightlifter:

I hear you. I'll take the higher heat/lower humidity any day.

RockSet N' Grade
09-04-2008, 12:34 AM
YellowDog....I have lived in Texas and their humidity and heat makes it pretty close to unbearable. I did concrete flatwork and sidewalks for awhile.......enough to get gas/food money and I was done with the work thing.....What makes up for the humidity is Southern Hospitality.......there is truly that in Texas.

mrusk
09-04-2008, 06:27 AM
Doesn't excessive overtime each excessive paychexs?

Gravel Rat
09-04-2008, 12:34 PM
I don't like overtime the tax man takes 70% of it. The tax man loves it when you work overtime your pretty much working for nothing. If you can bank the time for holidays its a little better you get a paid day off.

cpaum
09-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Hey guys!!!!

You all need to check out this product! I'm not joking!! If you can say I don't need one. Tell me why. There is no one in this world that couldn't use one of these. I just happen to come across this product on the web. Someone needs to show this company how to market to us.

www.paumco.com/fork_grapple.htm

Paumco Fork Grapple System!!!

Give me your thoughts.

mrusk
09-04-2008, 06:33 PM
GR Thats why the owners of these big companies need to run efficently and lean. The gov takes all there money so they need to make alot of it.

Dirt Digger2
09-05-2008, 01:44 AM
GR Thats why the owners of these big companies need to run efficently and lean. The gov takes all there money so they need to make alot of it.

heres the deal with the govt...i heard this on another site and i thought it was funny...

so a contractor from Kentucky bids a job for a new fence around the white house , he takes measurements and says "$900....$100 for profit, $400 for labor, $400 for materials"...a contractor from Delaware says after he takes a bunch of measurements "$700...$100 for profit, $300 for material and $300 for labor"...the contractor that bids from Jersey says without measurement to the white house project manager "$2700"...the PM says, "you didn't even take a single measurement, how can you give me that price?"...the contractor says "$1000 for me, $1000 for you and we hire the Delaware guy for $700"....the white house guy says "deal"....and thats how the government works