PDA

View Full Version : request for hurricane prep ideas

Mike M
09-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Okay, I really don't feel like putting together complicated and costly hurricane preparation items, or anything involving a lot of work, so I am open to innovative ideas from cost-conscious entrepreneurial types...

Here what I got so far:

1. My wife found an awesome article that specifies taping windows as a waste of time, so I am officially rationalized away from that activity.

2. I'm thinking instead of several canned goods, I'll buy a bunch of noodles and stuff I get for backpacking. Cheaper, and easier to carry out to my car.

3. I already went and filled up our vehicle gas tanks. This was actually a big deal, since my wife only puts in a gallon at a time so she can buy cigarettes.

That's all I got. Am I missing anything?

StoneDevil
09-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Water - at least 1 gallon daily per person for 3 to 7 days
Food - at least enough for 3 to 7 days
— non-perishable packaged or canned food / juices
— foods for infants or the elderly
— snack foods
— non-electric can opener
— cooking tools / fuel
— paper plates / plastic utensils
Blankets / Pillows, etc.
Clothing - seasonal / rain gear/ sturdy shoes
First Aid Kit / Medicines / Prescription Drugs
Special Items - for babies and the elderly
Toiletries / Hygiene items / Moisture wipes
Flashlight / Batteries
Radio - Battery operated and NOAA weather radio
Cash - Banks and ATMs may not be open or available for extended periods.
Keys
Toys, Books and Games
Important documents - in a waterproof container
— insurance, medical records, bank account numbers, Social Security card, etc.
Tools - keep a set with you during the storm
Vehicle fuel tanks filled
Pet care items
— proper identification / immunization records / medications— ample supply of food and water
— a carrier or cage
— muzzle and leash

Lite4
09-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Duck and cover! Sorry, I am not making light of your situation, but I just couldn't help it. Mike, I have heard that opening windows on opossing sides of the house allows air flow to pass through the structure and not build up a lot of pressure against the window pains causing them to break. However, I don't know about this as I have never lived in the south and been exposed to huricanes like you have. It would probably just let a whole bunch of rain water in the house and make a mess of everything. You all are in our prayers down there. I honestly don't know how you do it, living in danger zone. The worst we get is the ocassional dust storm or microburst from time to time.

StoneDevil
09-02-2008, 05:01 PM
DISASTER SURVIVAL KIT

FOOD/WATER
o Non-perishable food
o Beverages - powdered or canned, fruit juices, instant coffee, tea
o Bottled Water - One gallon per day per person
o Bread – In moisture-proof packaging. This will keep for a little while.
o Canned and powdered milk
o Canned vegetables and fruits - You can drink the juices and save your water.
o Cereals – They are good without milk.
o Dried fruits
o Dry and canned pet food
o Package condiments - sugar, salt, pepper
o Prepared foods - canned soups, beef, spaghetti, tuna, chicken, ham, corned beef hash, sardines, fruit cocktail, packaged pudding, meal replacement bars, cereal bars
o Shelf packaged juice and milk boxes
o Snack spreads - peanut butter, cheese spreads, and jelly
o Snacks - crackers, cookies, hard candy, and nuts. Watch the salt content.

CLOTHING/BEDDING
o Blankets or sleeping bag
o Rain poncho

DOCUMENTS
o Back-up disks of your home computer files
o Bank account numbers
o Credit card account numbers and company 800 numbers
o Driver’s license, passport, or other photo identification
o Family records (birth, marriage, death certificates, wills, deeds)
o Insurance policies (homeowners, life, car, renters)
o Medical and Rx cards, immunization record
o Personal inventories, titles, social security cards, tax records, stocks & bonds
o Proof of occupancy of residence – utility bills
o Telephone numbers
o FEMA 1-800-462-9029
o Red Cross 1-800-HELP NOW
o Houston Food Bank 713-547-8609
o Your mother
o Others
o ATM card(s)/ checkbook

o PERSONAL SUPPLIES
o Bible
o Change of clothes for three days
o Eyeglasses/contact lens
o Medical history or information
o Medicine – Rx
o Money – cash or traveler’s checks, change
o Photo copies of prescriptions
o Plastic or collapsible cups
o Special items for infants, elderly, sick, or disabled family members
o Toilet paper
o Toiletries
o Toothbrush
o Toothpaste
o Deodorant
o Lotion
o Vaseline
o Soap
o Personal hygiene items
o Cloth towels – face and bath set per person

o UTILITIES
o Candles – including glass enclosed
o Cell Phone and charger
o First Aid Kit
o Antacid (for upset stomach)
o Antibiotic cream – Bacitracin or Neosporine
o Anti-diarrhea medication
o Antiseptic solution - hydrogen peroxide or Iodine
o Band-aids – various sizes
o Burn Ointment
o Calamine/antihistamine lotion, Desitin ointment
o Cold compress
o Elastic bandage
o Eye drops
o Germicidal hand wipes or waterless alcohol-based hand sanitizer
o Hydrocortisone cream (1%) – Cortaid
o Insect repellent
o Latex gloves
o Laxative
o Q-tips
o Safety pins
o Scissors
o Sterile gauze pads and adhesive tape
o Syrup of Ipecac (Call 1-800-222-1222 or 911 before using)
o Thermometer
o Tweezers
o Tylenol and Aspirin
o Flashlight and batteries
o Manual can opener
o Radio – battery operated, extra batteries
o Tarp or plastic sheeting
o Waterproof matches or butane lighter
o Bottle opener
o Pocketknife - Preferably Swiss Army style
o Rope
o TV – battery powered, extra batteries
o Utility knife

o COOKING SUPPLIES
o Aluminum foil
o Camp stove - Or some other cooking device and plenty of fuel. Use canned fuel inside your home, not charcoal or gas
o Disposable plates, napkins, cups, utensils
o Ice chests - Coolers (2)
o Liquid detergent
o Paper towels
o Sterno

o OTHER NECESSITIES
o Disinfectant
o Duct tape
o Pencil and paper
o Plastic bucket with tight lid ( for elimination purposes)
o Plastic garbage bags, ties (for personal sanitation uses)
o Trash bags
o Whistle
o Camera and film
o Emergency sign
o Entertainment items/ material
o Outdoor extension cord
o Watch or battery-powered clock
o Water purification tablets
o Zip lock bags

StoneDevil
09-02-2008, 05:04 PM
this thread should be moved to proper location Mod.

Lite4
09-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Wow, that is a thorough list. I would pretty much have to vacuum seal my whole house to cover all of the items on that list. (I don't have much)

StoneDevil
09-02-2008, 05:11 PM
thats straight from the cWeb site of ther company i work for .. our HQ is in Baton Rouge

Bill S
09-02-2008, 05:47 PM
The one thing missing...

Have all your vital stuff in one location at ALL times ready to go in any emergency. Be it hurricane, tornado, fire, etc...

Good luck weathering the storm!

Mike M
09-02-2008, 06:06 PM
My wife just asked if I would take my landscape trailer out of the garage so she can park her Honda in there. I was like no flippin way.

I hope the mods don't move this. I won't remember about it and then I'll probably miss some awesome idea.

Mike M
09-02-2008, 06:13 PM

Is that an official thing? Like on a FEMA poster? This is the kind of crap my wife and I would argue about in a grocery store with a Cat 5 hurricane coming.

StoneDevil
09-04-2008, 08:47 AM
those little Os by each item dont mean anything there like commas

worx
09-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Mike board your windows up and place sand bags in front of doors that may be subject to flooding. Cut 1/2" plywood to fit windows and screw them in. After the storm remove and store somewhere for next time. Cut any questionable trees and/or limbs close to the home.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-04-2008, 10:59 AM
I have always wondered what you guys do with all the screw holes that get put into the window frames and trim when you board up a house....

Do you fill them back in and re-paint every time?

irrig8r
09-04-2008, 11:14 AM

Is that an official thing? Like on a FEMA poster? This is the kind of crap my wife and I would argue about in a grocery store with a Cat 5 hurricane coming.

That is too funny.

Cheerios are pretty OK w/o milk... my ex used to take baggies of them along with other snacks for the kids when they were younger...

You can get milk in small cartons that has a shelf life w/o refrigeration though... even chocolate milk!

Mike M
09-04-2008, 01:31 PM
I just got to see my daughter at boot camp graduation today. She told me MRE's eventually all taste the same, but I thought, that would be a great thing to stock up on.

Steve, your advice is spot-on with all the stuff I've been reading. They say taping windows is a time-waster. Plywood is the way to go, and I have it pre-cut by my builder (local code).

James, they say just screw them in, I was worried about the same thing, but I guess a few days going around with putty and paint would be easier than cleaning up water damage and replacing windows. There are many companies with automatic hurricane shutters, but holy crap, they are expensive. I wonder if I should sell them? LOL.

worx
09-04-2008, 04:47 PM
That is right just putty and touch up with paint. But I would wait till after hurricane season!!!!!

Pro-Scapes
09-04-2008, 05:05 PM
should you need to evacuate i would think that trailer would come in handy for you. I know if we had to evacuate my trailer would be stocked and locked and Ashleys honda would be staying home.

Your always welcome here mike if there is an east coast hit. I would think you could make it here in 8 to 9 hours and we could get some fishing in. Same goes for you Steve if there is a panhandle hit.

Mike M
09-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks, Billy. Did you say fishing? Just to be safe I should go there now and stay a while. Better safe than sorry. My kids can stay home. How much beer is in the fridge?

Pro-Scapes
09-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks, Billy. Did you say fishing? Just to be safe I should go there now and stay a while. Better safe than sorry. My kids can stay home. How much beer is in the fridge?

none. I do have a really nice client who has a kegerator on his patio and we could enjoy the incredible lighting at the same time.

Mike M
09-04-2008, 06:43 PM
none. I do have a really nice client who has a kegerator on his patio and we could enjoy the incredible lighting at the same time.

Now that's a hurricane item. Needs a built-in generator. Gas-powered draft beer.

I saw gas-powered 2 and 4 cycle blenders in the northern tool catalog. Those would work in a hurricane.