PDA

View Full Version : distributor pricing

tdf
09-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Every time I go to buy something I feel like the guy is sizing me up and typing in whatever he thinks I will pay. I thinks I am going to switch to an online supplier who will give me contractor pricing up front so I can price my jobs accuratly based on what I know it will cost me. I have heard others here use FOLD and Terradeck. Maybe I will check them out. I bought a complete system today and after asking him why some of the stuff was alot more than I thought it would be he adjusted the pricing on a few and lowered the bill around $100. I am happy to save a hundred bucks but I don't like doing business like that.

What do guys think?

TDF

PLM-1
09-02-2008, 07:16 PM
I'm just getting into lighting so I will be watching this thread. There isn't any "dealers" in my town so I need to look else where.

Flow Control
09-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Your customers price shop so why shouldn't you? It only makes you a wise consumer. If you can even save 10% on a job that is one out of ten jobs where you don't have to pay for the parts. Good Luck. What is your discount off of the List? should be 30-40 for starters.

klkanders
09-02-2008, 07:36 PM
tdf, plm,
Check out both of the distributors you listed. I use Terradek mostly as they are only 3-4 hours away from me so I usually recv my orders in 1-2 days and no shipping charge. plm that might work great for you also as they are located in Minnesota.
Keep in mind that whoever you decide to go with ,and others i'm sure, that they also may have different price tiers depending on how much you buy from them and if you belong to any mutual associations. Ask them.

Good Luck!
Keith

tdf
09-02-2008, 08:06 PM
I don't mind the tier thing because I will charge the customer based on what I pay. My biggest complaint is the pricing not being consistent and being based on the whim of the guy behind the counter that day.

Flow Control
09-02-2008, 08:11 PM
I don't mind the tier thing because I will charge the customer based on what I pay. My biggest complaint is the pricing not being consistent and being based on the whim of the guy behind the counter that day.

Maybe he was giving you level 1 discount then after you said something he moved it to a level 2?

tdf
09-02-2008, 08:16 PM
But all the items didn't change.

tdf
09-02-2008, 08:20 PM
The well light were 25% off list. The other time they were around 45%. and it looks like one time it was around 30%

Mike M
09-02-2008, 08:22 PM
I use FOLD, they specialize in lighting and offer a big variety of materials in stock, and they offer great support. I met A.J., Chuck, and Denis in person, great guys who are really into the lighting business.

klkanders
09-02-2008, 08:36 PM
FOLD is good. The very same things said above apply to Terradek as well.
I can only lead you to the water..........

Keith

klkanders
09-02-2008, 08:39 PM
tdf,
I forgot to ask this in last post. So did you bring up these differences in price to your dist? What was the explanation? If it didn't satisfy you then I say "Jump ship".

Keith

Chris J
09-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Any distributor should be able to give you a price sheet, or at least let you know what your multiplier is going to be. My distributor charges me a percentage of Manufacturer's Suggested Retail. Therefore, I know what each item is going cost by simply looking at the price sheet and multiplying my rate. If they don't have a retail price sheet to provide you, then work up a mock up order for every fixture you might use in the future. Get them to quote that order, then you can keep that sheet as a reference. I would also suggest that you sit down with the branch manager to discuss your pricing. The more you buy from them, the more leverage you will have later down the road. Your not going to have too much of a voice in the beginning, but once you start making 10k per month in purchases they will be more inclined to work harder to keep your business with them.
As a side note, I would advise that you find a good distributor and stick with them. If you flip-flop between several vendors, then you won't gain momentum with any of them.

tdf
09-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Good point, Chris and thanks guys for the replies.

Mark B
09-02-2008, 10:45 PM
TDF I tired to send you a PM, I'm not sure it went through.

tdf
09-02-2008, 11:13 PM
It went thru. Hey do you know Scott Hines?

tdf
09-02-2008, 11:19 PM
class of 91

JoeyD
09-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Any distributor should be able to give you a price sheet, or at least let you know what your multiplier is going to be. My distributor charges me a percentage of Manufacturer's Suggested Retail. Therefore, I know what each item is going cost by simply looking at the price sheet and multiplying my rate. If they don't have a retail price sheet to provide you, then work up a mock up order for every fixture you might use in the future. Get them to quote that order, then you can keep that sheet as a reference. I would also suggest that you sit down with the branch manager to discuss your pricing. The more you buy from them, the more leverage you will have later down the road. Your not going to have too much of a voice in the beginning, but once you start making 10k per month in purchases they will be more inclined to work harder to keep your business with them.
As a side note, I would advise that you find a good distributor and stick with them. If you flip-flop between several vendors, then you won't gain momentum with any of them.

Great post Chris. This is how it should be done!

TXlights
09-09-2008, 03:54 PM
I use Clarolux 90% of the time. They almost always get the order out the same day (I know because I get the email from UPS). Their products are awesome, and I definitely save money. If I need a specialty light or something they dont care, I buy from FOLD.

JoeyD
09-09-2008, 05:06 PM
spam? 2 posts and both about the same company?

Elite Outdoor
09-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Chris has got it right. they should be able to give you an exact price or a percentage of the price that is listed in the price book. Without that it would be a nightmare trying to give estimates.

irrig8r
09-09-2008, 06:50 PM
spam? 2 posts and both about the same company?

Sure has that ring to it. I got an email from ClaroLux today too. I have a feeling someone from that company reads this board. Not saying that's a bad thing of course....

JoeyD
09-09-2008, 06:53 PM
I am sure.......Lots of lurkers I bet.........

Chris J
09-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Yeah, you gotta love those manus that lerk in the shadows waiting to sell you their product. Even worse are the ones who are active participants! :laugh: Cheers Joey! You know we all love you man! :drinkup:

JoeyD
09-09-2008, 07:37 PM
I know not everyone likes me, I can usually get a good feel for who they are. I can tell who like me but dont like Unique, and I can tell the guys who genuinly appreciate me being here. But atleast we pay to play here and I wouldnt trade it for anything. I enjoy sponsoring and participating!!!

Mark B
09-09-2008, 08:24 PM
:drinkup: Just for you Joey :cool2:

JoeyD
09-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks buddy!!