PDA

View Full Version : Small Brush Removal Question

Blmtlandscapes
09-02-2008, 06:20 PM
I have to clear out about 1,000sf of some small brush. Most of the brush is small woody plants that are a little too strong to just put a weedwacker to it. But I was wondering if they sell weed wacker blades instead of the normal string. I feel like this would be the best tool for the job if this exists, if not what else would be good for the job, thanks.

Kate Butler
09-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Of course they do - go to wherever services your machine and ask.

dura to the max
09-02-2008, 08:30 PM
that or rent a brush mower for half a day. cheap compared to the unnecessary strain on the trimmer, and tons of time saved.

Kate Butler
09-02-2008, 10:47 PM
1000 sq.ft. is a small area: I don't think it'd be a strain on any pro-grade unit. I do MANY thousands of (over 100,000) sq.ft. of cutdowns every year and am still using my Stihl that I've had for more than 10 years. If it's a homeowner unit, go and rent something.

Marcos
09-02-2008, 11:19 PM
I have to clear out about 1,000sf of some small brush. Most of the brush is small woody plants that are a little too strong to just put a weedwacker to it. But I was wondering if they sell weed wacker blades instead of the normal string. I feel like this would be the best tool for the job if this exists, if not what else would be good for the job, thanks.

If this area you're doing is NOT going to have a lot of landscape material put in later...to replace the "small brush" and "woody plants" you're trying to get rid of now...the following may be of interest to you:

Tordon RTU by PBI Gordon is a real good product for the pros who do lots of 'land clearing' type projects; looking to get rid of invasive non-native species especially.
But it's also neat for farmers and larger property owners who have bucco miles of fence line to help keep them clear of crud like poison ivy / kudzu vines, japanese bush honeysuckle, russian/autumn olive, muliflora rose, etc. etc...

Since it's a "ready to use" (RTU) formulation...there's no mixing of the product.
So "painting", or (very carefully) spraying only freshly cut stumps with it ....is it's only practical use.

But.... it's VERY IMPORTANT that the stumps be treated immediately after being cut!

And it's got a nice blue tracker dye already included...so you (and your crew) can see exactly what you've sprayed so far, and what you haven't!

Here's a spec sheet from Dow:

http://www.dowagro.com/usag/prod/051.htm

Some folks around here like to argue with me that they can do the EXACT same thing with the Original 41% Roundup (containing NO surfactant at all), watered down 50-50 with water, and blue tracker dye added.

But, on several occasions, I've tried both methods....and I've consistently gotten BETTER, LONGER results with the Tordon RTU!