PDA

View Full Version : drought + lawn apps

americanlawn
09-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Has anybody else experienced dry soils for the past couple months? Clay soil & sunny lawns have cracks up to one inch wide. Most homeowners refuse to water, but they sure know how to weedeat down to the dirt.

Anybody having problems killing difficult weeds when they're nearly dormant?

How about giving up trying to spot spray crabgrass or foxtail due to dormancy?

Anybody causing brown tracks with ride-on sprayers or mowers?

Anybody suspending app's until you get rain?

Have you switched to an ester herbicide for more efficient weed control?

Do you search for a "crack" to place your lawn flag?

rscvp, thanks

LushGreenLawn
09-02-2008, 08:06 PM
What kind of Fert are you putting down when its dry like this? I am always afraid of cooking the lawn when its so hot and dry, but as I continue to add customers I am going to have no choice but to keep applying to stay ahead.

DeepGreenLawn
09-02-2008, 08:44 PM
drop down to a LOW N fert...

Have you tried a vinegar herb? It works like roundup so you have to be careful, but it is suppose to basically explode the cells on the leaves or something like that. I am unsure if it will work with dormant/half dormant weeds.

Like I said, it is nonselective so care should be taken. I have never used it but I hear it works well...

I may be way off... just a thought...

ted putnam
09-02-2008, 08:47 PM
I continue to apply the same fertilizer with advice to the customer to irrigate if and when possible. I also continue to spot spray for weeds using extreme caution. I won't spray severely drought stressed lawns. You get good control with less product in higher temps ( in most cases).At least that is what I have found. I don't know about the Mid West but around here I would never use an Ester formulation in hot,dry conditions. You'd do more harm than good.JMO

americanlawn
09-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Most friendly competitors are also spraying "weed & feed" now cuz it's time to spray the new crop of dandies , and no one has a financial choice not to get the app's down.

We finally found a liquid fert that does not 'tip burn' turf (NutraFlow). I think it's a 16-2-6?? (not at the office now). Our large lawns are being treated with a 34-3-12 LESCO granular slow release fert plus UAP's 'mecamine-D' using a "TURFCO T3000". This ride-on currently treats more than twice what our average " hose puller" treats. (no brainer for us to buy a 2nd TURFCO unit this winter).

But knotweed & spurge along the curbs almost always requires an ester herb. Tough deal. We keep missing out on significant rainfall. Go figure when thousands of homes were destroyed this spring from record rainfall.

What kind of Fert are you putting down when its dry like this? I am always afraid of cooking the lawn when its so hot and dry, but as I continue to add customers I am going to have no choice but to keep applying to stay ahead.

grass4gas
09-02-2008, 09:02 PM
I'm using a 33-0-7 blend that is 96% slow release. Only spot spraying weeds and crabgrass as needed. Lawns that have been irrigated are in great shape with only a few weeds, especially some nutsedge.

cod8825
09-02-2008, 09:04 PM
We are small enough here in KC that we are delaying the start of are fall rounds till we get some significant rainfall. We might make a decision to severly water down the nitrogen. Instead of two gallons per M we might go to four or five.

Matt

americanlawn
09-02-2008, 09:14 PM
I did the same thing years back (having to wait until late September until the rains came), but we have no choice. A close friend of mine (Delaware) is also delaying app's. Tough deal -- affecting much of this Country.

We are small enough here in KC that we are delaying the start of are fall rounds till we get some significant rainfall. We might make a decision to severly water down the nitrogen. Instead of two gallons per M we might go to four or five.

Matt

DeepGreenLawn
09-02-2008, 09:16 PM
luckily we have been getting hit with these hurricanes, well, getting the rain. My county is the only county that is not under a complete watering ban and that is because we have a nice sized lake right in the middle of it, plus our county surprisingly enough was smart enough to start building resevoirs all over for just this reason.

americanlawn
09-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Sometimes we get the remnents of hurricanes, but so far...nothing. So I request a prayer for rain from you. No need to type -- just say one. Can't hurt. Thanks. :usflag: p.s. even our dandelions are going dormant. :laugh:

luckily we have been getting hit with these hurricanes, well, getting the rain. My county is the only county that is not under a complete watering ban and that is because we have a nice sized lake right in the middle of it, plus our county surprisingly enough was smart enough to start building resevoirs all over for just this reason.

DeepGreenLawn
09-02-2008, 09:42 PM
well... midwest... I don't know where that is exaclty but you got one headed your way I would think?

RigglePLC
09-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Very dry here, too. But we just started our fall weed control. hopeing for a little rain. I was at a lawn today that had 5 feet of water in May. now dry.

ted putnam
09-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Gustav is sitting on my state and not expected to move until Thursday afternoon. It has been coming in waves of 35mph wind and rain every 15-20 minutes all day. We've gotten 3+ today and some areas may get 15 before it moves out. I probably won't be able to work until Friday. Been working on equipment and taking care of some "honey-do's".

whoopassonthebluegrass
09-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Has anybody else experienced dry soils for the past couple months? Clay soil & sunny lawns have cracks up to one inch wide.

The only 1" crack I've seen were on a fat guy re-roofing a house.

Anybody having problems killing difficult weeds when they're nearly dormant?

I did a $140 RoundUp job... and didn't manage to kill a friggin' thing because it was just a gravel lot. Plants weren't taking anything in. Waste of MY time and money...

How about giving up trying to spot spray crabgrass or foxtail due to dormancy?

I don't even bother on dry lawns. My contract clearly states that a dry lawn voids ALL guarantees. I refused to be punished for THEIR negligence.

Anybody causing brown tracks with ride-on sprayers or mowers?

That's called fertilizer burn, Larry.

Anybody suspending app's until you get rain?
Rain is the only time I DON'T do apps. :D I run liquid all summer long, regardless of conditions. Never burnt a lawn.

Have you switched to an ester herbicide for more efficient weed control?

I prefer to take the old "ignore it and maybe it'll go away" approach.

Do you search for a "crack" to place your lawn flag?

Not since I got arrested for sexual harassment.

americanlawn
09-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Whoopass -- next time I'll know not to sip on a beer while I read your post :laugh:.

We're in Des Moines (central Iowa), but the southeast third of the state expects rain from the hurricane. Looks like we'll miss out again.

Regarding tire tracks on lawns, we see them from lawn mowers too. I checked on 2 lawns today that were sprayed with Q4 a week ago for foxtail....it's still there. Seems the foxtail is not actively growing enough due to drought.

phasthound
09-03-2008, 06:42 PM
We're bone dry in Jersey. I can't get a soil probe into the ground.

We apply NP Aux-n-ite in July/Aug. It's a perfect time to add high % organic matter. No burn, long term slow release, long term benefits.

We use BurnOut for non-selective weed control.

americanlawn
09-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Barry -- what amount per 1000 s/f is needed? I like the quality & safety, but it's only 5% N, 4% P (which we may not need), 0% K (which is good for stress tolerance, etc), 3% CA, 1% FE. I know guys who are applying nearly a full pound of N right now, and I'll bet their lawns could be greener than others once we get rain?? (customers expect this). We're also looking at a new "XCU" slow-release high N product for our winterizer. Last year, we paid less than $3.00 per gallon for our early fall fert, but it's at $4.85 now. Lots of things to consider. Thanks.

DeepGreenLawn
09-03-2008, 07:14 PM
I drove by some of these full N lawns and they are COVERED with diseases... guess thats what happens when you don't stop and adapt to the environment that you are working with...

turf hokie
09-03-2008, 07:24 PM
We're running the 16-2-3 screamin green from nutrients plus right now for our organic bridge customers. It's a nice slow release 60%. Supposed to get some rain from the hurricanes coming up the east coast by sat/sun. I hope we get some rain, the lawns are showing stress from lack of water.

on a side note Anybody else seeing a significant late outbreak of chinch? we had 3 calls today about brown lawns and all had chinch.

Real Green
09-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Larry! Great news! They are saying we are going to get hit by Hurricane Hanna! :)

My minister must have thought I was nuts pulling into the church late yesterday afternoon with 20 employees to take place in prayer activity in the sanctuary! j/k

The T3000 gets fired up tomorrow! AMEN! :cool2:

americanlawn
09-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Hey M...,I DID pray that you get rain soon. (actually for all A-Team members). That unit ain't made for sittin' in the warehouse. Good deal that your guys have religion, cuz I think it pays off. Anyways....I'll pray again (and I ain't that religious). :laugh:

Your A-Team bud, americanlawn. :usflag::canadaflag:

Larry! Great news! They are saying we are going to get hit by Hurricane Hanna! :)

My minister must have thought I was nuts pulling into the church late yesterday afternoon with 20 employees to take place in prayer activity in the sanctuary! j/k

The T3000 gets fired up tomorrow! AMEN! :cool2:

FdLLawnMan
09-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Well Larry, your prayers look like that are going to work. They have nearly a 100% chance of rain for us tomorrow. We had above normal moisture for June & July, and then the second driest August ever. It looks like Gustav is going to do its thing by us. I will still pray for everyone to get moisture. Without it nothing grows.

whoopassonthebluegrass
09-03-2008, 11:58 PM
I drove by some of these full N lawns and they are COVERED with diseases... guess thats what happens when you don't stop and adapt to the environment that you are working with...

Noooo, that's called CREATING NEW BUSINESS!

phasthound
09-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Barry -- what amount per 1000 s/f is needed? I like the quality & safety, but it's only 5% N, 4% P (which we may not need), 0% K (which is good for stress tolerance, etc), 3% CA, 1% FE. I know guys who are applying nearly a full pound of N right now, and I'll bet their lawns could be greener than others once we get rain?? (customers expect this). We're also looking at a new "XCU" slow-release high N product for our winterizer. Last year, we paid less than $3.00 per gallon for our early fall fert, but it's at $4.85 now. Lots of things to consider. Thanks.

Aux-N-ite is inexpensive at about $8.50/50 lb bag full truckload price, the application rate is 5-10 lb/1000.

The benefits are faster recovery from drought stress & reduced disease problems. Aux-N-ite when used in conjunction with NP 16-2-3 will provide a green healthy lawn for your clients.

We like to apply some of the N in the spring, feed the microbes in the summer when they are more active, and apply most of the N in the fall.

Our programs look somewhat different than conventional ones because we are working with both the soil chemistry and biology.

Here's one of those pesky scientific results. If you want to read the entire 36 page report, let me know....ZZZZZZZ

DROUGHT ASSESSMENT OF AUXIN-BOOSTED BIOSOLIDS
Xunzhong Zhang, E.H. Ervin*, G.K. Evanylo, and K. Haering
Department of Crop and Soil Environmental Sciences,
Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061
ABSTRACT
The presence of biologically active substances such as plant hormones in certain biosolids may
enhance plant stress resistance by providing hormones directly or by stimulating the activity of
microbes that supply substrates and hormones. This study was conducted to investigate if auxinboosted
biosolids increase physiological fitness and drought stress resistance of Kentucky
bluegrass (KBG; Poa pratensis L.) under greenhouse conditions. Calcined clay-filled containers
were amended with auxin-boosted biosolids, non-treated biosolids, and indole butyric acid (IBA)
at three rates. The control received inorganic N (202 kg ha-1) only. The KBG subjected to each
treatment was grown under well-watered (80-90% field capacity (FC)) and drought stress (40-
50% FC) conditions. Root and shoot growth, visual quality, visual estimates of leaf wilting,
canopy photochemical efficiency (PEc), leaf proline, cytokinin, and antioxidant enzyme
activities were measured. The grass treated with auxin-boosted biosolids or IBA had greater root
mass under drought stress compared to either the control or non-dosed biosolids treatments.
Auxin-boosted biosolids improved turfgrass quality and delayed leaf wilting. The KBG
amended with auxin boosted biosolids or IBA had greater PEc, leaf proline content, cytokinin
trans-zeatin riboside (t-ZR) content, and antioxidant superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity under
drought stress conditions when compared to the control. These data suggest that auxin-boosted
biosolids may enhance defense chemical responses during limited soil moisture conditions,
improving drought resistance. The beneficial effects of auxin-boosted biosolids may be closely
associated with their increased activity of hormones such as auxin.

sprayboy
09-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Waiting for rain here before starting fall apps.
Have not had any rain for 4 weeks. Had more 90 degree days this week than all summer.
Looking pretty nasty right now.
Doesn't look like much rain here from Gustav either.

americanlawn
09-04-2008, 07:00 PM
We received just under 1/2 inch early this morning. On my route today, I used a soil prob to see how deep the moisture went. Clay soil = 1/2 inch. Loam soil = 1 inch. That's it...not enough to provide any long term benefit. It was just enough so we did not have to "find a crack" for placing our lawn flags.