PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar?

Kennedy Landscaping
09-02-2008, 11:17 PM
I have heard that instead of using expensive chemicals to kill grass and weeds you can use vinegar with the same results. Is this true, if it is I would start using it myself.

ICT Bill
09-03-2008, 06:45 AM
Lawn Freak, Ascetic acid (vinegar) at 30% minimum works great. There is nothing selective about the application and often it does not kill the roots but it kills off the green part above ground.

The stuff on the shelf at your house is not strong enough to do much

growingdeeprootsorganicly
09-03-2008, 08:33 AM
i never used just strait 30% ascetic acid , only the product burn out at 20% ascetic acid+other additives,

couple things about burn out only, it is very very caustic material, if you get it on your skin it will irritate/burn it and most be washed off immediately, never get it in your eyes, can cause possible blindness. also it's so acidic that it will eat away at plastic and rubber seals in sprayers and should only be used at time of app and sprayer should be cleaned out after and left empty, never leave it in sprayer for extended periods of time unless you have some special type of sprayer that can handle acidic type products,

when spraying don't be down wind of what your spraying. the smell of it is very strong too, makes me kind of sick on hot days when i use it, i hate the smell of it!!!!
it does however work extremely well and fast at 1-4 and even better at 1-3 concentrations, at that concentration you only need to lightly wet foliage to get good burn down in 24hrs. think it needs higher temps to work more affective too?
it is a very expensive product as well compared to other chem nonselectives, it works good for emerging weeds in beds but it's unprofessional to spray large weeds in beds and leave large clumps of dead material there, hand pick, so i really only use it for large areas that need total killing and can leave dead weeds, since it can't be left in sprayer, to me it only has it's usages for some situations.

id say use extreme cation with 30% ascetic acid it is very dangerous!
this type of maternal is no joke to work with

Smallaxe
09-03-2008, 09:40 AM
I have had good results with store bought 5% acid vinegar. Spray maybe twice - after the first round dries, on some of the tougher things like grass.

Glyphosate is cheaper however.

treegal1
09-03-2008, 11:29 AM
go and get some scythe herbicide its fatty acids....................

JDUtah
09-03-2008, 11:42 AM

Will that kill me if I ever get fat??? bahaha sorry. :)

Prolawnservice
09-03-2008, 08:58 PM

Thats what we use, not quite as smelly and works just as good if not better.

treegal1
09-03-2008, 09:11 PM
and it goes a lot further!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Organic a go go
09-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Regular white vinegar off the shelf will work on some weeds and will work on a good deal more if you spike it with some lemon juice and clove oil which is essentially what Burnout II is. Smell isn't much of an issue for me with this product, the clove predominates, but not everyone has the same preferences.

The fatty acid soaps work much better for me. They're broader spectrum AND more viscous than the vinegar so they are more likely to stay on the leaf surface and not drip off and kill adjacent plants. On the more tenacious perennials you will have to treat more than once and it can be tedious work to spot apply onto a leaf surface in the middle of an otherwise lovely lawn. Its hands and knees work so if you can't price accordingly then this might not be for you.

09-04-2008, 07:46 PM
guys,

is there any issues with scythe in a sprayer for extended periods of time?

prolawn,
where do you buy yours? anywhere local?

treegal1
09-04-2008, 07:52 PM
it go's bad after a few day here

09-04-2008, 08:07 PM
heat is the enemy?

treegal1
09-04-2008, 08:18 PM
some thing like that, the water is also some to do with it.

wallzwallz
09-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Lesco has Scythe, or they did before John Deere.

Prolawnservice
09-04-2008, 09:50 PM
guys,

is there any issues with scythe in a sprayer for extended periods of time?

prolawn,
where do you buy yours? anywhere local?

I only mix 3 gallons at a time, whatever is left (usually none or less than 1/2 a gallon) is stored in the sprayer until it is needed again then is mixed with the new batch, no problems so far, been doing it that way for 4 years now. It's cheaper if you buy it by the case, of course. I usually get it from lesco/john deere or Reed and Perine. I heard somewhere scythe is going to be OMRI listed next year.

treegal1
09-04-2008, 10:09 PM
I only mix 3 gallons at a time, whatever is left (usually none or less than 1/2 a gallon) is stored in the sprayer until it is needed again then is mixed with the new batch, no problems so far, been doing it that way for 4 years now. It's cheaper if you buy it by the case, of course. I usually get it from lesco/john deere or Reed and Perine. I heard somewhere scythe is going to be OMRI listed next year.thats what we heard in the mill so far, it just took the money to get it pushed through, my source said in the spring of 09

09-04-2008, 10:59 PM
thanks for the info guys! i didn't know lesco carried that cool! i'll have to see if my local lesco has it

treegal1
09-04-2008, 11:00 PM
we get the generic stuff from tractor supply for 58 a gallon

greenguy08
09-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Treegal, what's the name of the Tractor Supply product?