PDA

View Full Version : What to do now???

JMiller08
09-03-2008, 12:34 AM
Ok so heres my story. I recently graduated this past year. I started doing small side jobs and bought a brand new trimmer stick edger and backpack blower at just under a thousand dollars. I got the bug bad and decided this is what i wanted to do. So now i need to get a mower, trailer, and hitch for my truck, get licensed and insurance. I want to start off this spring very badly but have limited funds. I have about 2500 dollars to spend (may be more, depends on current job). I figured the hitch is about 300 installed, trailer for a used 5x8 is around 500, 36 in wb about 500 i have found them used, licensing and insurance i have no idea. I am located in ohio in the cleveland area. So should i drop the money i got and go for it? stay out sell the equipment i have? What about my pricing figures? do they sound realistic? Am i in over my head? Well this is getting long, all help is greatly appreciated and i look forward to all your comments.

Thanks,
Jerad

ncls
09-03-2008, 01:22 AM
give me 68000 cash and buy me out. You will get all my trucks, riders, walk behinds, small tools, shop,office supplies, everything. I would like to carry on until the snow is over. I will help you get all the contracts possible for next year. i will stay on in an advisory capacity until you do not need me anymore.
All the employees most likely would stay.

JMiller08
09-03-2008, 01:29 AM
give me 68000 cash and buy me out. You will get all my trucks, riders, walk behinds, small tools, shop,office supplies, everything. I would like to carry on until the snow is over. I will help you get all the contracts possible for next year. i will stay on in an advisory capacity until you do not need me anymore.
All the employees most likely would stay.

Ha i wish i could man but thats alot of cash for an 18 year old

lawnwizards
09-03-2008, 07:58 AM
Ok so heres my story. I recently graduated this past year. I started doing small side jobs and bought a brand new trimmer stick edger and backpack blower at just under a thousand dollars. I got the bug bad and decided this is what i wanted to do. So now i need to get a mower, trailer, and hitch for my truck, get licensed and insurance. I want to start off this spring very badly but have limited funds. I have about 2500 dollars to spend (may be more, depends on current job). I figured the hitch is about 300 installed, trailer for a used 5x8 is around 500, 36 in wb about 500 i have found them used, licensing and insurance i have no idea. I am located in ohio in the cleveland area. So should i drop the money i got and go for it? stay out sell the equipment i have? What about my pricing figures? do they sound realistic? Am i in over my head? Well this is getting long, all help is greatly appreciated and i look forward to all your comments.

Thanks,
Jerad
i got a hitch off ebay for around 119 bucks and i installed it myself. saved some money doing it that way. i also got a brand new 5x10 trailer for 469 dollars. if you are gonna start in the spring, wait a couple of months and you should be able to get a good deal on mowers. goodluck. oh yea, check your city about licensing, here it costs 100 a year. also, for insurance, i went with ohio casualty, i pay around 400 per year for 500k and insurance on my equipment.

nancy.simerson
09-03-2008, 07:42 PM
check the junk yards just picked up a hitch off an old chevy for my friend for $35.00 they cut it off in just a few min. me and my bud had it on in a half hr. cost me another $10.00 for new bolts and another $50.00 to have it wired up for 7 wire plug. why , he some times helps me on bigger clean up jobs and haveing 2 trailers already at the job just gose faster that break in the middle to unload a trailer just kills my momentum get in get out and on to the next job. by the way i had to log in in my wifes name cant remember my other pass word

nancy.simerson
09-03-2008, 08:05 PM
also just wait all these guys you see doing yard work around town now will be selling and pawning there stuff real sooncan pick up alot of good stuff you keep looking check ebay and craigs list check it out real good before you pay and set a price you wont go over if your paying over half the price of new you might just as well by new for the warrenty aloan and its always nice to have back up equipment i hate buying new while im waiting for something to get fixed(extra blower, trimmer,chain saw backup mower picked up a 48" exmark walk behide metro with a 15 hp kaw. for $630.00 off ebay this year put another $200.0 in to it nothing really bad oil change fillters and blades sharend been the best back up mower iv had saved me a couple times this year now im going to look for a 32" to 36" for just the same reson also you may want to think bigger on your trailer you will out grow it fast yard clean ups aloan you will need bigger. 16 ft min my first trailer i found was a16ft payed $650.00 for it now i just use it for yard clean ups or for mulch i brased up some ply wood sides so i dont spill out it still looks good and works well. i geuss what im trying to say is new is nice but used can work well till your up and running put some of your money in to advertising as well as insur.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Not sure what kind of bumper you have on your truck but for mine I just bought a simple hitch that bolts to the existing holes in my bumper, this is ok if you wion't be towing alot of weight, I pull a 5*10 fully loaded with mowers and whatnot everyday just fine, I have though pulled a 30 Foot camper with this just fine. As for lights I have a plug installed by me it has a 4-pin as well as a 7-pin. I bought this hitch at a local hardware store for about 35.00 and had it on in about 10 minutes.