PDA

View Full Version : billing

treyjdt
09-03-2008, 07:42 AM
how do you figure pricing?

LBLC_LCO
09-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Multiply by 3 and subtract the square root of 96........

Good luck getting a serious reply to such a vague question.

Frontier-Lawn
09-03-2008, 09:48 AM
42cuts per year x price per cut, then divide it by 12 months and then you have your monthly amount due. and i Bill one month forward to cut down on the dead beat losses.

TCS Landscaping
09-03-2008, 02:16 PM
20$ per square foot.

JohnnyRoyale
09-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Daily cost of fuel per gallon X 10.

ffemtmcd
09-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Way to help a new guy folks - check your local area prices and be competitive. Around here most lawns (7000 sq ft or so) go for 35 / cut then up from there. Check your area may be more or less.

you may have already done this but, do a search to see if the subjects been covered - save you some smarta** responses.

I don't bill the entire year either just the cutting months - may consider billing yearly later.

treyjdt
09-03-2008, 04:42 PM
thanks to all who responded seriously... i have checked most other landscaping co in area they get min 40 for 7000sf. they don't even bag or pick up anything. what does your price include mow blow edge trim-- thanks

westsweeper4
09-03-2008, 04:57 PM
if you already checked with other landscaping companies in your area why are you coming here to get help? they are the ones who are going to be able to give you the best answers to your questions. unless of course you want opinions from the entire country.

JohnnyRoyale
09-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Come to think of it, the question is more complex than it seems. Reality is everyone I call my competition figures their pricing based on their own valid motivations, justifications and/or expenses. I have been to many tender openings where we thought we priced competively, and got blown out of the water...and been to some where I literally threw up when I realized how much I left on the table. Most people price a job to make money, others have different motives, including keeping valuable equipment and employees busy in the offseason. and in climates where there is a snow business, some use groundskeeping as the loss leader to secure the lurative snow contracts. There's no such thing as a going rate anymore, as the apples we sometimes try to compare to determine a price aren't always the same.

Heres an example of a haulage contract I thought was whored... until I found out why he bid so low. The job calls for a triaxle to haul material 2 hours away. The going rate is anywhere from 75.00 to 85.00 per hour per truck. You are expected to haul 2 loads a day from point A to point B (a four hour round trip). The company that won the bid, submitted pricing at 50.00 per hour. After scratching my head for two days wondering why and how he could make any money at that rate, I learned he was treating that contract as a backload from another contract he already had in place to haul material from point B to point A, and he would have been empty on his return anyways. Now his new backload contract (at half rate) covers his expenses for the day, and the first contract is all profit.

Its these types of angles that prohibit any kind of valid answer from me, other than, know your costs, and motivations, and take it from there to figure out your price. Good luck, and sorry for the original smata$$ remark.

ffemtmcd
09-03-2008, 05:49 PM
thanks to all who responded seriously... i have checked most other landscaping co in area they get min 40 for 7000sf. they don't even bag or pick up anything. what does your price include mow blow edge trim-- thanks

Like I said - pricing is going to be different in different areas - cost of living and such.

My mow and go deals are just mow, trim, blow. Bagging is extra because it takes more time and you have to get rid of it somehow - pick up? i pick up basic debris (paper and such) before I cut - toys, if I see 'em I'll move 'em.

TCS Landscaping
09-03-2008, 06:52 PM
It doesn't matter what anyone else is charging. You have to price yourself based on what your expenses are plus what you want to make. If everyone tells you they're charging 25 for a small lot, you can't just start charging 25 and hope you make it. For all we know you might be ridiculously inefficient and have to spend $25 to get the job done.

What does it cost you to operate?

treyjdt
09-04-2008, 01:18 PM
why waste your time responding if you a f###ing dick

westsweeper4
09-04-2008, 01:38 PM

that is an excellent way to go about seeking help.

treyjdt
09-04-2008, 01:57 PM
I have gotten stupid responces from a simple question. I am an honest guy looking for honest answers not dumb remarks. What is the problem if you don't like the question don't respond!! I am just trying to figure if i am giving a good price along with our service. that's all

MileHigh
09-04-2008, 04:21 PM
YOu want to make around $60-$120/hr cutting lawns. (Before Expenses) If your below those figures, your either pricing all wrong or have the wrong equipment to get the job done right in a TIMELY matter.

TCS Landscaping
09-04-2008, 05:35 PM
"Why waste your time responding if you're a f###ing dick."

If your grammar is as poor on your estimates and invoices as it is here, then pricing is the least of your problems.

The core of being able to establish a price is what the cost of a job is to you. How much is gas? Do you have a helper? How much does your insurance run? Are you still making truck payments? Do you have a wife that wants pretty things? Do you have another part time job? The list goes on.

Try doing a search and read all the past responses. This topic has been beat to death.

mattxb
09-05-2008, 11:02 AM
YOu want to make around $60-$120/hr cutting lawns. (Before Expenses) If your below those figures, your either pricing all wrong or have the wrong equipment to get the job done right in a TIMELY matter.

Wow, I wish I could charge that much. The clients Im getting (of course Im starting in late summer) are not that willing. Maybe next year I can try to get some in that range.

S.I.
09-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Price Vs. Productivity
Every time I logg onto a forum (Like most of you I am a member of many) I see a post from some one asking "How much should I charge" or "How much do you charge" and many others like this. As I scroll down through the threads there is inevitably a variety of answers from " you have to know your costs" and "It varies by location" which are good answers. But then I see people saying "You should get $60 an hour" and shoot for $1 an hour" Which is good advise IF you have the right equipment.

A thing to remember is that if you are pushing a 21" MTD mower from a discount store and blowing off sidewalks with a $50 blower from the discount store, you will NOT be as efficient as someone with a 60" Exmark (or other commercial mower). It just isn't going to happen. Therefore you should not expect to make the same rate that they are. The same goes for the guys with the 42" Craftsman Tractor. Even a 36" commercial ZTR will be more productive (given the operator is proficient).

The point I am trying to get across here is that you not only need to now your costs, but you also need to be aware of how efficiently you are operating. Know the "value" of your time with the equipment you are using, and don't try to base your companies pricing off of what someone else is charging. Remember that a $50 property is just that, it doesn't matter if you if it takes you 2.5 hours with box store equipment or 15 min with top of the line commercial equipment, it is still a $50 lawn.

New guys get your feet wet using what you have available to you, and work your way up to the faster more efficient equipment. That $60 hr will come with time. You guys that have been around for a while.... Don't try to base what you make by what the next guy is getting. You know your costs and are aware of you productivity, base your prices by what is "fair" to yourself and the client, if they don't like it move on.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=245067

S.I.
09-05-2008, 12:05 PM

Obviously you are new to this site. There will be sarcastic, and critical answers to almost any question or statement posted, that is how we get our kicks.

Don't take the responses the wrong way, these guys aren't trying to be a$$es they are simply making a point that you should try the search option before starting another thread (especially with such a vague question) on a topic that like someone said "has been beat to death on here"

Learn to lighten up and take things at face value. If you get that worked up over responses on here you probably will not make it in this industry. What will you do if a customer gets mouthy? Get mad and call them names? You have to have thick skin in this business and not just to keep from getting cuts and scratches on your shins from string trimming.

hackitdown
09-05-2008, 02:39 PM
how do you figure pricing?

why waste our time asking if you a f###ing dick

Sorry...couldn't resist. You are getting sarcastic answers because there is no single answer to your question. Wait, there is an answer...the answer to your question is..."it depends". Hope that helps.