PDA

View Full Version : Iron Instead... Anyone?

Awormofaman
09-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Seems like everyone down here cheated and used something iron-based instead of nitrogen for the 3rd and last zoysia/bermuda fertilization. So we are thinking of doing the same next summer, just to survive.

What would be a reason not to do this if the lawns are already nice and thickened by August, when green grass is all that is desired anyway?
And what would be a good inexpensive iron-based product to use?

Thanks for any input!

jbrown5
09-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Ferromec from PBI Gordon is good. That is what we use. John Deere(Lesco) also makes a 12-0-0 liquid iron that is basically the same thing. They are both relatively inexpensive.

cod8825
09-03-2008, 05:16 PM
I use Iron in the spring for that dark green people are looking for since I put so little nitrogen down. In the fall I go heavy on the Nitrogen and easier on the Iron. I usually include a 4% solution with all spring apps.

RigglePLC
09-03-2008, 10:14 PM
In the southeast you usually have acid soil. Do a soil test for iron. It should not need iron, as iron is highly soluble in acid soils. A tissue test for iron is also an option.

Of course iron at high rates sort of stains the grass blackish-green--fine, if it works for you--staining of houses and fences or concrete could be a problem.

DeepGreenLawn
09-05-2008, 01:04 PM
iron is a heavy metal and you don't want too much of it. I did an app to keep a customer happy without having to throw on the N and bring a lot of other problems with it.

I don't feel that using Fe is "cheating" but rather a nother way to get the green when throwing N on a lawn is the last thing that needs to be done especially with the drought conditions we are having. But you want to use it sparingly at the same time for the reason of the heavy metals.