PDA

View Full Version : Striped Cucumber Beetles

heritage
09-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Hi Folks,

Had my first garden this year and learned how the SCB vectors Bacterial Leaf Wilt into Cucurbits.

Did the spray program "Conventional/Commercial" with chem pesticides...Not a good result regardless of timing/rotation/ect.

Was considering the Pre-Plant with the Neo-Nicotonoid with an Ag label for 2009 season, but I still feel even though it would be systemicly within the plant, the SCB would still "Chew" long enough to spread the Bacteria before it passes.....So that is also likely not where I will go.

My thoughts are the Triact 70 (Neem Oil Extract) which has an OMRI approval now, as it works well as a "Repellant"

I have had success with this product last 5 years on Ornamental Plants, and wonder if anyone has some experance with it as a repellent for SCB on Melons/Cucumbers/Pumpkins?

I want to have some better ones next season.....Not goo clogged, wilted yellowing leaves.

Thanks ,

Pete

grasswhacker
09-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Did you do liquid or dust?
I used dust every 7 or so days which gets the underside of the plant. We had hundreds of cucumbers/ summer squash/ winter squash, that we didn't know what to do with them. In the past I have usually not done very much control, but had much better results from being diligent with dusting.

heritage
09-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Did you do liquid or dust?
I used dust every 7 or so days which gets the underside of the plant. We had hundreds of cucumbers/ summer squash/ winter squash, that we didn't know what to do with them. In the past I have usually not done very much control, but had much better results from being diligent with dusting.

Was using Liquids 200 psi for very fine micron which does get underneath the canopys.

Thanks for the info :)

Pete

grasswhacker
09-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Was using Liquids 200 psi for very fine micron which does get underneath the canopys.

Thanks for the info :)

Pete

My cucs are still producing nicely, summer squash fair as the heat and dry weather is taking it's toll. But I found dusting to be really great for holding squash bugs and cucumber beetles at bay.

treegal1
09-03-2008, 11:03 PM
how about some Diatomaceous earth and call it a day????

and why is the act not preventing them from the start???? maybe some lace wings and wasps to do some of the dirty work???

heritage
09-03-2008, 11:14 PM
how about some Diatomaceous earth and call it a day????

and why is the act not preventing them from the start???? maybe some lace wings and wasps to do some of the dirty work???

Thanks Treegal,

Did not know DE was a repellent.....I will try that also.

Lots of lacewings and benificals within 10 feet of garden in Neighbors Flowers.....Pesticide free.

The concern is these SCB I have had are vectoring the Bacterial Leaf Wilt from somewhere...

I will do some more homework on better seeds to start with too.

Pete

treegal1
09-03-2008, 11:38 PM
not a replant if thats what you want try garlic, the neem is a IGR and not a great choice, try inter planting some lemon grass and marigolds.

heritage
09-03-2008, 11:59 PM
not a replant if thats what you want try garlic, the neem is a IGR and not a great choice, try inter planting some lemon grass and marigolds.

Thanks again Treegal1,

This is what I will do.

I need to read up on Companion Planting :clapping:

Pete

44DCNF
09-04-2008, 01:17 AM
I use DE and have no beetles, while the neighbors have beetles and wilt.They treat every year with sevin yet always have problems. DE also took care of my hibiscus sawfly problem on hollyhocks this summer. I have a bag of sevin around, but won't use it as long as I still have DE. I have healthy watermelon plants too but they are beginning to get chewed by mice or chipmunks. On that note, Score= young redtail hawk-1/chipmunk-0, witnessed yesterday afternoon while standing in the garden.