PDA

View Full Version : quick question on a second vehicle(not a truck)

mike lane lawn care
09-03-2008, 04:05 PM
ok guys, so now that i am traveling a lot, like 250 miles away to a different place every week, i have decided that the 2500HD is just too big, too thirsty, and to tiring to drive for 5 hours straight. so i have been looking at a second vehicle just for travel up here in plattsburgh, NY. i came across an SUV that i like, it's a 2004 Hyundai santa fe with the 3.5L V6 and AWD with just under 60k. it seems nice, it drove nice,it has one flaw, a bad front bearing, that is getting replaced as we speak. they wanted $9200 for it, and i got them down to $8k, which i think is pretty good considering it's features and good condition. I would tow it back home (about 215 miles down I-87) and payments with my down payment would be about $150/month for 36 months. I have been thinking about it and the fuel savings from not driving the truck all the time would make the payments.

i just want to know what you guys think before i go back tomorrow AM after work(over night work!) and sign for it.

DoetschOutdoor
09-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Did you figure in insurance in that monthly payment? Since you will be financing, you will have to have full coverage. Only you know your rates so it may be really cheap or could be another $100 a month...

Evan528
09-03-2008, 06:55 PM
They are kind of girly suv's if you ask me. Guess I just never seen many guys driving a Santa fe. Im sure its alot better on gas then your 2500 though!

TXNSLighting
09-03-2008, 07:22 PM
ok guys, so now that i am traveling a lot, like 250 miles away to a different place every week, i have decided that the 2500HD is just too big, too thirsty, and to tiring to drive for 5 hours straight. so i have been looking at a second vehicle just for travel up here in plattsburgh, NY. i came across an SUV that i like, it's a 2004 Hyundai santa fe with the 3.5L V6 and AWD with just under 60k. it seems nice, it drove nice,it has one flaw, a bad front bearing, that is getting replaced as we speak. they wanted $9200 for it, and i got them down to $8k, which i think is pretty good considering it's features and good condition. I would tow it back home (about 215 miles down I-87) and payments with my down payment would be about $150/month for 36 months. I have been thinking about it and the fuel savings from not driving the truck all the time would make the payments.

i just want to know what you guys think before i go back tomorrow AM after work(over night work!) and sign for it.

always heard to stay away from hyundai SUV's.

bonerigo.1
09-03-2008, 10:00 PM
My mom has one. Itís only a 2wd but she doesnít need the 4wd at all. Itís really comfortable and drives nice and smooth. They provide a nice warranty with them. She gets upper 20mpg on the highway. If you donít need the AWD I would steer clear of it.

Lakewlc
09-04-2008, 12:21 AM
havent heard good things about those.

SuperDuty335
09-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Make sure it has enough room for comfort! My run-around car is a Toyota Corolla that gets a solid 31mpg, but I can't hardly get into it without crawling in.(you probably don't weigh 285 lbs, though) In contrast, I have a Ford Excursion with a chipped 7.3 that gets 23mpg hwy and can haul 8 people. When I go on a road trip I always take the Excursion.

zak406
09-04-2008, 06:13 PM
9000 dollars here is equivalent to 2591.54 gallons

Petr51488
09-04-2008, 07:17 PM
9000 dollars here is equivalent to 2591.54 gallons

Exactly. Plus less insurance, wear and tear on the second vehicle etc.

You get what you pay for with a hyndai. Remember that. I would go with a car rather then an suv. Maybe a nissan?

mike lane lawn care
09-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Exactly. Plus less insurance, wear and tear on the second vehicle etc.

You get what you pay for with a hyndai. Remember that. I would go with a car rather then an suv. Maybe a nissan?

well the reason i was looking at a second car is driver comfort for long trips, which my HD is comfy, but it is big and bulky. and for saving wear on my truck. the fuel is my least concern, as my job pays for fuel completely.

mike lane lawn care
09-05-2008, 09:57 PM
ok, so i didn't buy the Hyundai due to the wheel bearing being on back order. i instead went with a 2005 Scion Tc with 24,000 miles. the car is really nice.

RedMax Man
09-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Don't take me as bashing you but i have a feeling alot of guys will be turning their heads expecting to see a young girl driving that car. that model and color is very popular among college girls.

huskres
09-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Good car, one of the few i like in purple.

huskres
09-06-2008, 09:10 PM
What was the price on that by the way? and it wasnt a former dealer demo was it? Scions had tons of those

mike lane lawn care
09-07-2008, 11:37 AM
What was the price on that by the way? and it wasnt a former dealer demo was it? Scions had tons of those

it was $14k, but this one has every option from scion, including the supercharger. and no, it wasn't a dealer demo, the previous owner traded it in for an '09 4 door corolla with an auto trans. and the picture is deceiving on the color, after it was simonized it's true color of burgundy shows very well. at night it still looks purple though. but i don't care, it's not really a feminine color, and it looks nice, besides with the pair i've got, i could drive a hot pink car, and no one would notice.:laugh:

J&R Landscaping
09-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Nice car! I ha an 05 Tibouron last summer that I traded in. I miss that car and the MPG a lot. Good luck with the Scion!

tthomass
09-08-2008, 12:42 AM
Koni + Ground Control and it can become a fun car :)

mower&more1986
09-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Just from my car buying expricence. stay away from cheap brands. hyundai are only worth it imo if they are brand new with the 10year/100,000 mile warranty kinda why i went with hyundai accent 4 door GLS but i wouldnt touch any of the hyundais used with a 10ft pole. If i had go used i would go with toyota or honda because they have the best resale. even a ford dealer said if i was looking for a car they where the one to buy and they didnt even sell them.

TandM
09-10-2008, 09:48 PM
good little cars friend of mine has one he looks girly in it when I pull up in my dodge. But they are pretty quick for what it is. hope you like drivin a small car I get clostrophobic inside his. enjoy the GAS MILEAGE!!!!

mike lane lawn care
09-11-2008, 01:03 PM
good little cars friend of mine has one he looks girly in it when I pull up in my dodge. But they are pretty quick for what it is. hope you like drivin a small car I get clostrophobic inside his. enjoy the GAS MILEAGE!!!!

i like the car, i just got back from a business trip and it was great. only downside was they are repaving my road this week and next week, so when i came home i had to trudge through 4 inches of loose dirt, which it did not like. but that's why i still have my HD!