PDA

View Full Version : Bush/plant suggestions

coolbrze
09-03-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm redoing a small front flower garden for a town/rowhouse that's about 12' x 12'. The whole front yard is a flower garden as are almost all in the neighborhood. They have several azaleas that we'll be removing along w/ some ground cover, misc. weeds, & vines. After the new shrubs are put in, we'll be mulching the whole thing.

Basically they'd like some low maintenance shrubs/bushes planted that will provide some color for long periods. What do you recommend for VA climates? I had thought about boxwoods, crapemyrtles, some Encore Azaleas, Barberry bushes and they thought all were good suggestions but I'm looking for more ideas. Thanks in advance!

ViceNut
09-03-2008, 08:42 PM
boxwoods (winter gems) are a good choice for a shade of lime-ish green, some sky pencil holly's will give you some different height/shape plus are extremely low maint., maybe some knock-out roses, soft touch holly's (no color, just green, but another very low maint. shrub), ummm lemme think. There are also some loropetalums we can get here that only grow 2' high x 4' wide. I forgot the specific name off the top of my head, but thats another option........hmmmmm, maybe some dwarf mop cypress bushes? With all those bushes, they are low maint., plus you have yellow, red, light green, dark green, and purple. :cool2:

Just a few ideas

crab
09-03-2008, 09:07 PM
enough with the barberry on this site they are INVASIVE.

Plant Buyer 83
09-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Light requirements & zone of site??

GreenShoeRanger
09-04-2008, 08:56 AM
abelias,knockout roses and karley rose fountain grass will provide four seasons of interest as well as low maintenance.

ViceNut
09-04-2008, 11:01 PM
yeh, if there was never another barberry ever planted in the world, it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit! Im not a big fan of abelias either though