PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a website?

allfiremencutgrass
09-03-2008, 07:11 PM
How many guys or girls here have a website for their company? My neighbor is the Master for them and is going to help me get it going. I am mainly curious how your results with it are...do you get a significant amount leads ?The future seems to be in this direction. There are only a handfull of nice ones I have seen in my area. So whats the consensus on them?????

cbscreative
09-04-2008, 07:24 PM
I have one, but since I am a web designer, it would be quite silly not to.

Your mention of the future is an important thing to consider. And since you mentioned that very few web sites stand out, that is the very opportunity many businesses are missing out on. Many people don't use phone books any more, so not having some kind of online presence is a good way to lose business. And since so few sites are really any good, having a nice site puts the site owner at a significant advantage.

I will point out one more thing because it's mostly missed with business owners. Don't just think in terms of marketing or creating sales, although what I'm going to say is good for both if you grab this and run with it. Think about how you can improve your customer relations with a site. Can they schedule a service through your site? Can they get answers to questions without it having to be business hours or call you? Can they pay you online if they prefer that method? Do you offer information that adds value to your products and services?

Also think about cross promoting. If your services are geared toward curb appeal, you could cross promote with interior designers, decorators, and other home improvement services. Work out some kind of referral bonus so the customer has additional motivation to use the other services. Something like, "Print this voucher from our site and you will receive a 10% discount on any purchase." That's just a crude example, but with creativity, you can offer added value to your customers and gain not only their loyalty, but more referrals.

Web sites are not just a tool to sell. A good web site is a way to improve your service, develop relationships with your customers, build trust, and even get people involved interactively. The ones who win with a web site are the ones who go way beyond the typical "welcome to my web site now please buy from me" approach.

02DURAMAX
09-05-2008, 04:08 AM
No I dont have one but will soon.

elite lawns
09-06-2008, 12:31 AM
on it's way

PestPro
09-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Just having a web site does not mean you are going to get more calls or customerss, you still have to market it the right way with search engines, keywords and lots of work making changes to it every day

Lawn-Sharks
09-10-2008, 08:45 PM
I have a website and the first thing i ask people when they call me is how did you hear about us? So far this year i have had better luck with my site then paying for any other form of advertisement that i've used so far and it's cheap! Good luck with your!:drinkup:

cbscreative
09-11-2008, 10:39 AM
PestPro, you make a very valid point. In the web biz, we call this the "if you build it they will come" mentality, and that's a myth. Anyone with software can make a web site, but that doesn't mean it will be any good, and even if it looks really nice, that doesn't mean it will turn a profit.

Choose your web designer carefully. Best price does not equal best value. Suppose you spend $200 and never get anything (or very little) in return. Or, you spend $2000 and get many thousands in return, and it keeps making those thousands over and over. Things like this are where the penny wise and dollar foolish expression came from.

I hope no one takes that to mean that spending more automatically means success, because that's not true either. I'm simply making a point, and the numbers are purely arbitrary. How much a site design will cost depends on a lot of factors.

WebMan
09-12-2008, 07:45 PM
Agreed with all. Since I do it for a living I am biased but a good web site will boost business dramatically all things done right. A bad web site is like any bad advertising newspaper/door hanger/whatever...does no good.

You also need to work a web site as was mentioned. The search engines, the content, you work on it continually and it will pay you back in spades. Make some "thing" and leave it sitting there and it's just wasted space but AT LEAST you will have a professional e-mail like you@yourname.com instead of yahoo or worse hotmail or gmail :nono: or your ISP (AOL, Comcast, Earthlink, whatever)
The most unprofessional thing a business can have in 2008 is an e-mail that is not "theirs". You can even get only e-mail hosting dirt cheap if you don't want a web site yet. But mainly you HAVE to have a professional e-mail. (Of course then they will expect a site there but whatever...to answer your question you will get back what you put in like most things in life. But it is 2008 and customers expect any professional legitimate business to have a web site.) :rolleyes:

PS: Whatever you do DON'T use the "All Firemen Cut Grass" in there, not professional AT ALL and quickly shows this is a part-time job for you.

allfiremencutgrass
09-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Yes it would be unprofessional it was just a thought I had when applying for a login name..in my area it very much seems that all firefighers have lco's..We have to do something with the cost to live and the low salary of a firefighter but its still the best job in the world.

I agree with all previously stated especially letting the pros be pros IE:website designers. You get what you pay for! Im gathering thoughts comparing websites and shopping for a designer right now.

I figured what can it hurt to have one,am I too early for one ...hardly.. to late I dont think so. I am in the process of getting it online.

Anyway..

cbscreative
09-13-2008, 02:50 PM
I agree with all previously stated especially letting the pros be pros IE:website designers. You get what you pay for! Im gathering thoughts comparing websites and shopping for a designer right now.

I figured what can it hurt to have one,am I too early for one ...hardly.. to late I dont think so. I am in the process of getting it online.
Thank you for noting that because it speaks more powerfully that when us "web designers" say it. I hope you find a good designer to work with. I would say, "Me," but that would be shameless self promotion. I am easy to find though if you Google my name and/or user name, but my prices are usually just over the center line from average. There are plenty of average web designers already, so I choose not to compete in that shark tank (helps me maintain my sanity too).

On your comment about too early or too late, I don't think so either. I'm in Grand Rapids which is the second largest city in Michigan. For any type of home improvement services here, there are very few web sites that are thought out well enough to be of any value (IOW they suck). That may seem like a harsh assessment, but it's actually a great opportunity for those who want to excel in the market. If you put up a truly useful site, you create a huge advantage with very little real competition. I imagine most markets are very similar, and whenever I ask the question, it seems to reinforce that most markets have this same situation.

The other thing to consider is that the higher end customer that wants these services tends to use the Internet more than others do. Having a web site is just a means to be there when your customers are looking for you. If they're using the Internet, and they are, you have much to gain with an effective web presence.

tradeyouraccounts
09-23-2008, 11:19 PM
I know of many service companies that have a website as their only means of advertising and do very well from it. A basic site and small amount of promotion can be all you need along with your business cards of course.