PDA

View Full Version : Crude, but I think you would be proud

JDUtah
09-03-2008, 08:37 PM
So I did it, finally, lol. I was going to wait until I had the DO2 meter, microscope, qualified compost(or vermicompost) source, sufficient brewer, kelp and fish oil supplier, etc.. but I am officially brewing my first AACT.

Story goes... I was going to throw down a molasses test for some thatch (area with bad bug damage). Bought the molasses, and said, you know, the area does have a little fungi attacking it, so I might as well throw down a little good herd as I do it.

So it ends up I am brewing it in my 25 gallon sprayer, I have no idea if I got the inputs right but eh, it's a throw together test anyway. 15 gallons water (for 5,000 square feet), 24 ounces molasses, 1/4 cup NPK fert, 3 cups bagged compost, and I threw in 3 oz 123 ICT for kicks and giggles.

As you can see in the picks I am using a small (very small) fish tank air pump. I'll brew it for another 3.5 hours then spray. (might add a little more molasses right before I spray so the thatch test can still have a chance) I'll test the area but leave a 'control' strip. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Like I said, crude, but I thought I would show you guys that I am slowly moving along. :)

phasthound
09-03-2008, 09:13 PM
There really is no need for you to shot in the dark like this.
There is plenty of info on how to correctly brew AACT.

JDUtah
09-03-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm glad you are happy I even gave it a try Phasthound. :wink:

Any CT imo is a shot in the dark without the right testing/control equipment and proper inputs .. I don't have 1 grand to spend on things.. so hey, at least I'm playing with it.

Me read? I don't know how!

Phasthound, What do YOU suggest I did wrong?

DeepGreenLawn
09-03-2008, 09:18 PM
well... I see it like this.. you got to start somewhere and now you have something to build off of.....

JDUtah
09-03-2008, 09:23 PM
well... I see it like this.. you got to start somewhere and now you have something to build off of.....

My sentiments exactly... thx.

treegal1
09-03-2008, 10:30 PM
that is the sadest thing I have seen in a while, oh if you only heard the guys in the back ground.LOLOL. the npk what the heck was ya thinkin!!! and the air supply is so small and the large bubbles.LOLOL. that brew needs to start its way to the toilet, and that way it wont hurt the lawn. oh go d I m sorry, but I cant evn stop laughing on this one, I got to calll mike so he can see this,ROFL

treegal1
09-03-2008, 10:35 PM

build off, its like junk yard compost tea wars, get a bucket and a good air pump, now this is the hard part, its compost tea, not molasses tea or npk sludge, after the whole N post did you not get that the ammonium is poison!

here let me call you a tow truck so that they can pull your head out of...........
http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/how-to/articles/brewing-compost-tea.aspx

treegal1
09-03-2008, 10:40 PM
is this a comedy bit like slap stick or stand up, oh that hurts..................:laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:good luck with that pump,:laugh::laugh:

DeepGreenLawn
09-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Well, now he knows what not to do right? Like I said, he now has something to learn from... maybe learn from was the right words to use?

DUSTYCEDAR
09-03-2008, 11:31 PM
wow flag on the play :)

treegal1
09-03-2008, 11:47 PM
I have hit myself in the thumb with a hammer and it did not teach me to drive nails!!!! I just hope he logged off to go and sewer that stuff he concocted. after the 700 questions about every thing else I figured he would get a reality check at the starting gate. sure use the tank, just get a lot bigger air set up and some air stones, figure on .08 cfm per gallon at 80 degF and stirr the sediment every 2 hours and he will make some tea, there is one guy in India the just has labor stirred the tea all day and night in shifts, he still checks the do2 and the water temp, then looks at it under glass, also that much 123 tea will over populate the tea in a few hours. not good.

JDUtah
09-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Haha, I thought about not putting the info about the fert out there. I wish I had a scope.. bet I would have seen life... Tree if ammonium (or nitrate) is poison to microbes, why do microbes synthesize it in the first place? Seriously!!! answer it!!!! Oh wait, your dreamy understanding of plant, soil, microbe relationships is enough for you?

Second, lol I agree more air would have been good insurance, but I used what I had.

Third. Like I said.. it was originally a molasses treatment, but molasses feeds good and bad.. so why not throw some extra good out there in the process? :)

Fourth, thanks for the sarcasm about the pump, did you forget that is the one YOU suggested I buy?

Tree, have you ever sprayed an anaerobic tea? What were the effects? This one did not have enough time (4 hours), or inputs to go anaerobic IMO. Not a stink at all.

But...
Maybe I should bring your $140,000 compost topdressing disaster to mind to humble you a little. You do always say a start is a start don't you? Or maybe remind you of your answers about Bills 123, "any CT is good"?

Glad I made your day though.

DeepGreenLawn
09-03-2008, 11:55 PM
I think he is learning... learned he needs more air, no NPK, no ICT, etc etc...

JDUtah
09-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Deep, I didn't learn any of that..

Already new more air would be better...

NPK... IS A GOOD THING!!!! IT IS MICORBE FOOD NOT POISON!!!! The problem is, it isn't as sustainable as a waste stream.

ICT, well.. didn't I say "kicks and giggles"... It gave Tree some kicks and giggles... And honestly, the ICT is pretty diluted. Bill suggest 1-3 oz per 1,000 I sprayed .6 oz per 1,000, just let it wake up for 4 hours.

But thanks for the support Deep. :)

I did learn some things about Tree. :)

DeepGreenLawn
09-04-2008, 12:02 AM
well... I do what I can...

"I did learn some things about Tree."

I was afraid that was going to happen... I am done with this thread personally, doesn't look like it is heading in the right direction...

JDUtah
09-04-2008, 12:07 AM
Lol, eh, I have said enough things arrogantly to deserve some bashing. I expect it. Can you imagine what a hay-day Tim will have when he meanders over here?

DeepGreenLawn
09-04-2008, 12:10 AM
CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!?

... isn't that from a movie or something? I can't remember...maybe the words are a little different... I don't know, I'm gone to bed...

"I KNOW NOTHING!"

~ Hogans Heros (the sergeant guy, whats his face?) (I LOVE THAT SHOW!)

Sorry...

treegal1
09-04-2008, 12:17 AM
Haha, I thought about not putting the info about the fert out there. I wish I had a scope.. bet I would have seen life... Tree if ammonium (or nitrate) is poison to microbes, why do microbes synthesize it in the first place? Seriously!!! answer it!!!! Oh wait, your dreamy understanding of plant, soil, microbe relationships is enough for you?

Second, lol I agree more air would have been good insurance, but I used what I had.

Third. Like I said.. it was originally a molasses treatment, but molasses feeds good and bad.. so why not throw some extra good out there in the process? :)

Tree, have you ever sprayed an anaerobic tea? What were the effects? This one did not have enough time (4 hours), or inputs to go anaerobic IMO. Not a stink at all.

But...
Maybe I should bring your $140,000 compost topdressing disaster to mind to humble you a little. You do always say a start is a start don't you? Or maybe remind you of your answers about Bills 123, "any CT is good"?

Glad I made your day though.

ok its not the ammonium that kills its the concentration??? add ing good guy at the same time as molasses, great idea, ever wonder why almost nothing grows on pure molasses??? answer that one?

anaerobic tea is not what I want in my area, does not ring in with my ideas on control and nature, smells to bad for my yards also.

and my compost top dressing lesson, yes it still goes like this, don't trust some know it all newbie to sell you some compost based on his bs web site and not double check it. and that would have hurt some one else who was not sitting on as many acres of sod as I am, so lesson learned don't trust some one who really has no idea what they sell you.

and my dreamy ideas are good enough for close to 800 people to want to use, many farms and a lot of over seas interest, it has got me 2 degrees and has paid the way to where i am at. not insulted the fore most scientists and pioneers with bush league diatribes about N, that was in the arborist study guide 12 years ago, almost a joke to bring up all over again.

also that is not even close to being CT, ACT , OR ANY THING EVEN CLOSE, so no its not good.

JD the only thing green I have seen you post was the truck and it was surrounded by rocks

JDUtah
09-04-2008, 12:39 AM
ok it's not the ammonium that kills it's the concentration??? add ing good guy at the same time as molasses, great idea, ever wonder why almost nothing grows on pure molasses??? answer that one?

And you proved my concentration was to high sitting 2,000 miles away from me how? You know what that harmful concentration level is how? Oh wait, I bet you have never asked that question. You EVER put NPK in a CT? I bet not. Your answer would prolly be a lie anyway.

anaerobic tea is not what I want in my area, does not ring in with my ideas on control and nature, smells to bad for my yards also.

Mine did not smell.. not anaerobic.

and my compost top dressing lesson, yes it still goes like this, don't trust some know it all newbie to sell you some compost based on his bs web site and not double check it. and that would have hurt some one else who was not sitting on as many acres of sod as I am, so lesson learned don't trust some one who really has no idea what they sell you.

HAHAHA Tree, still dodging responsibility for your own ignorance? If I use arsenic on someones lawn because 'mr ignorant' sold it to me and told me I could.. the government wouldn't bust my @ss? I don't need to know what I am doing? THANKS!!! THAT TAKES LOADS OFF MY SHOULDERS!!!! Edit: I guess you did learn to investigate things more deeply. I'm glad. :)

I had another thing to say here, but in respect to a third party friend, I will refrain.

and my dreamy ideas are good enough for close to 800 people to want to use, many farms and a lot of over seas interest, it has got me 2 degrees and has paid the way to where i am at. not insulted the fore most scientists and pioneers with bush league diatribes about N, that was in the arborist study guide 12 years ago, almost a joke to bring up all over again.

800 hundred people huh? Jerry Baker has sold millions of books... But keep going, you might catch up someday!

also that is not even close to being CT, ACT , OR ANY THING EVEN CLOSE, so no its not good.

Because CT is the ONLY GOOD thing that one can do to a landscape?

JD the only thing green I have seen you post was the truck and it was surrounded by rocks

And that's because I don't know how to make things green huh? Arguments based on ignorance are the fluff of a beaten person.

treegal1
09-04-2008, 12:55 AM
I think this is where I do the same as your business partners and just dump your bs at the side of the road and split.

how dare you impune my integrity, GFYS

NattyLawn
09-04-2008, 01:01 AM
So, let's get this straight, JD got a bunch of "ingredients", slapped them together, added air and called it AACT. Then gets ribbed by treegal and now wants to take it personally? Weak argument bro...

After all the questions you and Deep Green have asked over the last few months, it's a little ballsy to talk crap after all the time she probably wasted answering you're questions.

JDUtah
09-04-2008, 02:11 AM
Tree,
I'm not testing integrity, just understanding. Sorry about the lie comment.

I walked away from the partner.

Natty,
I thought I took a step in the right direction and at least tried something. And of all people on this forum, I thought Tree would have been happy that I took a step, even if it was so little... SO to have her rip me caught me off guard and totally invited me to defend myself.

Else,
But anyway.. most the people who actually write things on this forum are irrational 'save the planet' types... And some are decietful liars. (I don't believe Tree is a liar) I was going to leave the forum before everyone hated me for the things I believe, but too late.. I am gone though, to the enjoyment of both sides. Good luck with your pathetic sandy foundation crusade.

phasthound
09-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Well, I quess he told us! :)

NattyLawn
09-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Well, I quess he told us! :)

I guess he did.

Does anyone know what he's talking about? People hate him? Maybe I haven't been paying attention, as most threads are dominated by chit chat between a few people and I haven't bothered reading a lot of them.

Kiril
09-04-2008, 10:28 AM
There really is no need for you to shot in the dark like this.
There is plenty of info on how to correctly brew AACT.

I'm with Barry on this one.

TG, your initial comments were pretty harsh and uncalled for IMHO.

ted putnam
09-04-2008, 10:48 AM
BRUTAL...Yes, I do come over here and read ...more than some think!...And there are some who wonder why they can't lure others over from "The Dark Side". Pretty self-explanatory. The biggest mistake JD made was posting his pics for "everyone" to see. JMHO

treegal1
09-04-2008, 10:58 AM
yes given the situation, maybe I was a little harsh, but he should have expected it, I mean really, NPK for a tea brew, that was funny and absurd at the same time.

"The efficiency of an antiseptic must be measured in relation to three main factors: concentration, time, and temperature. It is desirable to know the minimum concentration at which an antiseptic will be effective. Some antiseptics such as phenol lose their activity sharply beyond a certain dilution, whereas mercurial preparations still inhibit bacterial growth at very high dilutions. The time that an antiseptic takes to act depends to some extent on its concentration, but the speed at which different antiseptics kill bacteria varies considerably; thus the halogens (e.g., iodine and chlorine salts) act quickly, while mercurials, compounds of heavy metals, and dyes act slowly. Most antiseptics act more quickly under increased temperatures; the activity of coal-tar derivatives, for instance, is doubled by a rise in temperature from that of a cool room to body heat. Many antiseptics destroy certain types of microorganisms and not others. Many others will kill bacteria but not their spores, which are walled, usually dormant, reproductive bodies."

and thats just the tip of the iceberg, then he has to speak about a private PM, that just falls into snitch territory. and the " you would probably lie" comment, that was the end for me. maybe he should put his tea brew on his web site with all the other gleaned info that only amounts to some old fashioned, grefting. if he really wants to see some fluff, keep talking like that. then for him to ad gerry baker, and say I said to buy that pump for a tea brewer, maybe he had a little to much cat nip. so I ribbed him a little for that shameful effort, I also posted a helpful link and said what not to do, as if he had not already figured that out on his own or even knew it was wrong before hand. he could have just said what do i do next and most of us myself for sure would at that point tried to help him out, if he had wanted that.

or and this is my best theory about this, he wanted to insight some drama, maybe pick a fight. you know the good press is just the same a bad press thing, i dont know and really just dont think it was appropriate for that kind of thing to be posted in an informational setting. several folks from the some sites have ask me about posting a pic on a site and if it was a good idea, some I have said yes that's great work put your name on it and post away, something to be truly proud of, one guy got the howling screamer laugh, like a band of pirates at a circus.

phasthound
09-04-2008, 11:06 AM
BRUTAL...Yes, I do come over here and read ...more than some think!...And there are some who wonder why they can't lure others over from "The Dark Side". Pretty self-explanatory. The biggest mistake JD made was posting his pics for "everyone" to see. JMHO

Ted, I agree with all you said except the last sentence. JD was so far off base in his attempt (after so much help from others) that it appeared to me he might have been setting himself up to fail & then claim that AACT doesn't work. I've seen this happen many times. There are strict procedures to be followed for making effective teas and the information is readily available.

He did not deserve to be blasted so harshly, but he his quite capable of dishing it out.

At some point all of us need to chill out, put our egos aside and learn from each other. There is a lot for everyone to gain.

ted putnam
09-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Ted, I agree with all you said except the last sentence. JD was so far off base in his attempt (after so much help from others) that it appeared to me he might have been setting himself up to fail & then claim that AACT doesn't work. I've seen this happen many times. There are strict procedures to be followed for making effective teas and the information is readily available.

He did not deserve to be blasted so harshly, but he his quite capable of dishing it out.

At some point all of us need to chill out, put our egos aside and learn from each other. There is a lot for everyone to gain.

Agreed. Well said!...Point taken.

phasthound
09-04-2008, 11:24 AM
treegal,

You know I love you, but sometimes the best solution is to walk away. You have no need to defend yourself, your actions are more effective than your words. :)

treegal1
09-04-2008, 11:29 AM
my second and 4th post were there to help, yeah it was a little harsh, even till the end I was trying to have some restraint, that is what i thought about it at first, is he trying to make this fail?? he has ask me before about my ideas on the efficacy of a product and does this efficacy mean that it is junk or does not work? I just found that strange. and I honestly for a minute really thought he was pulling a gag on us, I even commented on that, asking is this slap stick or something???, all you need to do to get even close to tea is do a google search and maybe look at some pics, yeah the finery's and research that all us tea brewers have and the time saved and parts not wasted and all that, still a few google pics and he would have at least hit the state that the bombing range was in. but that was miles off target.

I try an let my ego go, most of the time. and try not to be harsh, or even unkind, but in certain instances when its that far from the really, I have got to jump-in with a wake-up call. !!!! AND GIVE HELP AT THE SAME TIME!!!! I can only hope that if I or any one else does some thing that poorly that some one may be a big enough person to jump in and tell the hapless soul to pull there head out of what ever impairs there judgment, no ego attached.

good point barry, I will muse that over..........

Tim Wilson
09-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Good bye David. If you are still lurking, I think you said you made your CT this way because you did not have the $ to spend. A short time ago I posted some details on constructing a very cheap ACT brewer. You actually could use your little pump but with a diffuser and in a 1 gallon container. Anyway, the instructions are on my website and I'll email you recipes if you ask. This also means that you had no excuse to make the funny brew you did, although we both know what your true intention was.

Treegal et al,

It is obvious that David posted this to start a fight so nobody should feel any guilt whatsoever over any responses. He can give as good as he gets. We are grownups and can take it.

Tim

growingdeeprootsorganicly
09-04-2008, 08:09 PM
.....no commit

09-05-2008, 12:22 AM
oh dame maybe i will,

i don't think his intent was to start a fight, he was making an attempt to try one experiment and then it turned into something else, his believe about npk and soil microbes led him to think npk would only help nourish life in the tea, the other stuff said after wards back and forth i can say?

you guys are right there's plenty of info out there to get you started but if you have certain views on things, never brewed tea before, don't truly under stand the fundamentals behind it, to make good tea, naturally you are going to have to learn from your mistakes in your attempts. i think he just wanted to show he was trying, bad attempt, but he was trying none the less.

dave, you cant expect not to get a little ribbed by a few for that post, don't get so defensive about it,fighting back and forth does nobody any good, right?

no body, no body diy brews for the fist time and makes good tea.
you cant make a heavy dosed molasses spray and then turn around throw some npk,hand full of compost,tiny,tiny air for four hours and call it tea, add that much molasses at the end before app or separate,

water can only hold so much DO at a temp and with a certain TDS ppm and thats with nothing in it and no aeration between somewhere around 4-8DOppm , once you add anything that will raiseTDS ppm (lets say rock dust/ lots of MOLASSES)your water DO drops instantly
if that thing you add is food for bacteria too, and they start to grow that will keep it dropping, thats why good extra air is so important, it's a fine balance between food/compost amount, temp, starting water TDSppm, available air supply, the concept is simple but the real brewing of good tea is not,
as always there's people to help you if you just ask:hammerhead:

u just can throw it all in and hope for the best, also do not rely on your nose as an indicator, your nose can tell you if some thing smells funny and is most likely bad but it's not a true reliable indicator, tea can smell fine and be totally anaerobic!

just keep on keeping on and stop butting heads with people:wall:wall, no body hates you too just roll with the Punch's ok?

wallzwallz
09-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Good Post GDRO, JD's reaction to criticism seemed out of character for him.Treegal is a straight shooter, no BS or sugar coating w/ her advice, and that is the best advice you can get.

ICT Bill
09-05-2008, 04:16 PM
JEEZ, I'm gone for a couple of days on business and all this breaks out. Are you sure this is not the compost tea forum that Jeff Lowenfels monitors, it sure sounds like it. Just remember, like A$$ holes everybody has an opinion

A five gallon bucket brewer would have done just fine IMHO, I would have liked to seen the results though....maybe not

You can't do it wrong you can only do it better

JDUtah
09-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Wow, don't read anything before this post LOL... I get hot headed sometimes... Sorry

Anyways, hopefully I am gearing up to brew a better AACT. I still don't have the scope, DO meter, etc.. do you think I can still try it again this fall? It's getting cooler.. we got snow on the tips of the mountains the other day.

Tim sent me some stuff to help me with a recipe (thanks). I am going to brew 5 gallons. I have the good quality stuff to do so (thanks wallzwallz!).. But before I start the brew.. do you think my bucket setup will work well enough?

It is sort of inspired from Tim's design (hopefully he doesn't mind).

You will see the changes from the first brew but I added a second air pump so now there are three air lines going in. Still no diffuser.. just 3 open hoses.. look at the pics.

I read that creating a whirlpool helps to avoid any 'dead' spots.. I cut the pipe inlet and outlet on opposite sides so it would create the whirlpool.

Do you think this will do well enough or should I add a diffuser?

Thanks! :waving:

DeepGreenLawn
09-26-2008, 10:20 PM
I don't see how those cuts at different angles will create a whirl pool. It seems it is just going to do the same thing it would if you had straight ends...

From what I have seen before you need more air bubbles throughout to get better air displacement(?). That seems to be the most important thing is the proper amount of air flowing through the entire system... little bubbles everywhere...

AGAIN, as always... this is just my observation from learning... not had the privelage to have the time to sit down and come up with anything myself... in this I am jealous...

JDUtah
09-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Yeah I think I might pull one of the air hoses out and use a diffuser on it... free floating in the bucket.

As far as the whilrpool, you can kind of see it in the second pic.. The bubbles kinda show how the current it moving along (clockwise).. It isn't anything really big... no vortex or anything but it stirrs it a little...

Anyone else think I need more & little bubbles or do you think I will be ok like this? (cleaning this will be a snap.. those air tubes pull right out of the pipe) How do you clean a diffuser anyway?

DeepGreenLawn
09-26-2008, 10:32 PM
all the pics I have seen with a simple set up like this, and videos on youtube, it had all the hoses clumped(?) on the bottom, no pvc, just the hose at the bottom of the bucket and the bubbles came up on their own...

My opinion... if your interested... more air bubbles, much more air bubbles... :D

JDUtah
09-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Most the ones I see are like that too...

This guy suggests in his casual class that aggressive bubbling kills fungi similar to how tilling might... He personally thinks there shouldn't be as much areation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxo2ma5hC8U

Any input? Anyways I'm off.. its friday! :)

treegal1
09-26-2008, 11:12 PM
your getting warmer, try some 1 inch irrigation pipe use some air stones(the little blue guys) and then you may be in the zone, maybe, its still a mater of the DO2

09-27-2008, 12:04 AM
so close.......yet so far away......

you need air stones like the ones tree mentioned.

use the 2"- 4" ones or the little...one1"? ball style

two or 3 on the bottom and 1 or 2 in a extractor bag if you go that rout
or just put them all in the bottom for free suspension

with those air pumps in 4 gallons i would keep compost and food to a minimum

NO SYNTHETIC NPK!!!!! but it's your brew..... we all have to crawl before we walk i guess?

09-27-2008, 12:12 AM
o yeah...

you can't use the air stone to float freely.....they will go right to the top

weight them down

wallzwallz
09-27-2008, 09:12 AM
It looks like a much better attempt this time. Deepgreen, I think the angle cuts suck in from one side and puts out from the other would create the swirling movement, straight cuts would be in and out from all directions. Did Tim give you amount of compost and food for the gallons? Me personally w/ my limited experience would put all the air into air stones near the bottom, put the compost in the water, free suspension?, and just stir it by hand as needed to keep everything mixed. I would only strain if going thru a sprayer. The DO2 meter is a must have when brewing, especially w/ unproven or homemade brewers. Of course they start around $200 which is probably 5-10X the cost of your bucket brewer. Hopefully TG,GDRO,Tim and others w/ more exp. can guide you thru. Good luck.

DeepGreenLawn
09-27-2008, 09:39 AM
I am sure that it has some effect but nothing like some of the videos that we have seen with the "cyclone" going through the center. I don't believe from looking at it that it is really adding all that much air to the solution...

DUSTYCEDAR
09-27-2008, 10:05 AM
DO U HAVE AIRCOMPRESSER TO RUN AIR TOOLS?
if so u have all the air u need

wallzwallz
09-27-2008, 10:48 AM
DGL not adding much oxygen, but I think it's for bringin water from bttom to top, or circulating, not sure really lol.

Dusty, I don't think you can use a compressor, it has to be a pump or blower. I remember reading something about oil in the compressed air? can't remember the details or where I read it.

DeepGreenLawn
09-27-2008, 11:08 AM
DGL not adding much oxygen, but I think it's for bringin water from bttom to top, or circulating, not sure really lol.

I didn't look at it that way... maybe he was trying to do both... I was looking at it more with an air(DO) side. Good point, in that case it seems it would do a decent job mixing around...

Tim Wilson
09-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Hi David,

Not enough air. You need a bigger pump or a one gallon container. Why don't you try the simple design with PVC pipe posted on my webpage.

The story about fungi and other organisms being sliced by bubbles is an old wives tale (unless we are talking Niagra Falls force). Just look at the video of fungal hyphae complexes which survived intact after passing through mesh, impeller pump, sprinkler basket and shrub head sprinkler on my webpage. What effect are bubbles going to have?

JDUtah
09-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

Diffusers it is.

Deepgreen,
The angled cuts are basically to keep it stirred so there are nor dead zones. I wasn't going for the actual vortex for O2 exhange.

Tim,
I read your site a while back... I didn't remember that it showed some DIY. Thanks for the reminder.

Deeproots,
No NPK this time, no worries. Fish Hydrolysate and Molasses... and VERY little.

Wallz,
I was thinking 1 lb compost for the 5 gallon brew.. or scale it back if I go smaller.

Dusty,
I suppose a compressor would work if it was oiless. Thats a lot of noise and power to keep it going for 24 hours or so though. I don't have one anyway.

09-27-2008, 02:18 PM
jd,

tim brought up a good point.... that air= 1 gallon brew

maybe try 2 g but i would not use more then cup or two of compost, way under a pound for sure.

you will only need about 1-2ml of molasses/fish h? maybe even run it with out,

what are you using for compost source?

JDUtah
09-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Deeproots,

Wallz hooked me up with a vermicompost. I was thinking I would run 1/2 oz per gallon of fish and molasses.

And yep, less water.

09-27-2008, 02:37 PM
1/2 oz each might be too much

try 1-2ml of each, both of those foods are very strong microbial foods and you have limited air to provide

1cup of compost only

JDUtah
09-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Sounds good.

wallzwallz
09-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Good advice from everyone, JD what is the water and air temp. out in Utah? The hotter it is, use less food in it. Do you have your own lawn to test on?

JDUtah
09-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Yes it is my own lawn... It's 57* out right now.. I will be brewed in a garage

DUSTYCEDAR
09-27-2008, 04:38 PM
I USE 80 gal compresser to aerate my pond when its hot outside only comes on now and then
its a quick fix
i have an oil seperator they r cheep

09-27-2008, 04:48 PM
get a thermometer and check starting water temps aswell as through out the brew

under 60 f DO are easier to maintain but biology takes much longer to grow, especially fungi, look at 72++++ for full consortia of bact,fungi,proto at those temps

60+ -- 70 is perfect range for you to brew
go 15- 24hrs for fungal
24-35+ for bacteria
48+++ for proto's these hours are just an estimate for your set up. it's kind of up in the air as to where your brew is at a specific time with out microscope

under 60 f you could brew for 3-5 days+ especially if you use no food,
as long as DO are good

09-27-2008, 04:53 PM
dusty,

how long does the compressor motor run for continuously?

possible burn out running too long maybe with some of those pumps?

just wondering

wallzwallz
09-27-2008, 07:07 PM
JD what's the cfm or lpm on the 2 pumps together? I thought Tim has the .05-.08 cfm/gal rule? I believe that's the right numbers. GDRO yes those temps seem to be the sweet spot, but we went from winter to summer this year, thinking about ac for the shop next year. I got spoiled doing my first couple teas in cold water. First warm brew and the DO was going below 9 and I was freaking out LOL.

treegal1
09-27-2008, 09:50 PM
get a thermometer and check starting water temps aswell as through out the brew

under 60 f DO are easier to maintain but biology takes much longer to grow, especially fungi, look at 72++++ for full consortia of bact,fungi,proto at those temps

60+ -- 70 is perfect range for you to brew
go 15- 24hrs for fungal
24-35+ for bacteria
48+++ for proto's these hours are just an estimate for your set up. it's kind of up in the air as to where your brew is at a specific time with out microscope

under 60 f you could brew for 3-5 days+ especially if you use no food,
as long as DO are good
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1022/Linear-Air-Pumps-by-Whitewater jd the LT19 is all you will need for air in the sprayer tank that and 1 good air stone total after shipping 168$ thats what I would do and have done, same tank just as you pointed out last time we visited this post. we brew at 84 deg and its no fun, we have even noted a predictable raise in temp during the brew

dtally
09-27-2008, 10:56 PM
IMO, Tim's brewer the "Microbobulator" is a great out of the shoot first time brewer for larger brews. The first batch was a disaster, I have a microscope, etc,etc. I just over fed the little guys. Second batch better and now it is cooking.

I only brew for special stuff where I need live micro's doing the work... trees and shrubs mainly. ICT 123 is also good stuff for the lawn apps. and i ahve had great results

I put on my armor, ear plugs and sun glasses... fire away

DUSTYCEDAR
09-28-2008, 12:34 AM
it comes on every 3 to 4 hours for 5 min to refill
i post a pic of the hillbilly setup for the pond

Tim Wilson
09-28-2008, 11:21 AM
IMO, Tim's brewer the "Microbobulator" is a great out of the shoot first time brewer for larger brews. The first batch was a disaster, I have a microscope, etc,etc. I just over fed the little guys. Second batch better and now it is cooking.

This illustrates a good point. Brewers are not necessarily going to perform in identical fashion in different environments with varying temperatures, sources of compost, TDS of water, etc. There is, therefore, a learning curve invloved to adjust your inputs, time of brew and familiarity with the operating principle of the brewer you choose. Also, all brewers are not efficient, especially for the money you can spend.

Thank you Dave.

Tim