PDA

View Full Version : Thread Leaf Japanese Maple

devnuts
09-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Planted one at the end of June. It is now getting a green tint....is that normal? Also some of the leaves are browning. I just fed it with some plant tone....any recommendations on what I should do...soil too compact? its receiving plenty of water i believe

gardenkeeper88
09-04-2008, 08:09 PM
What variety? How much sun? what about wind? Are you having a drought? and how much water do you think is enough?

punt66
09-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Planted one at the end of June. It is now getting a green tint....is that normal? Also some of the leaves are browning. I just fed it with some plant tone....any recommendations on what I should do...soil too compact? its receiving plenty of water i believe

yes thats normal.

BostonBull
09-04-2008, 08:36 PM
How much water? (how many days/week for how long per day?)
How much sun?
Mulch?
Why plant tone? Why not compost? Build and feed the soil, not feed the tree!

punt66
09-04-2008, 08:50 PM
I am assuming its a young tree. Young trees tend to be green untill they become established. Its perfectly normal. Most of the yound thread leafs i plant are all green and usually turn the following year. Each year that it ages brings out more red. Thats been my experience. Its a hardy variety and have never lost one.

Lawnworks
09-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Sounds like it is in full sun.

Lite4
09-07-2008, 11:16 PM
What is the soil type and PH? How many hours a day is it in full sun? Morning sun or afternoon sun? Most laceleafs will begin to turn more green if they are in the shade for longer periods of time. Longer durations of gentle morning sun will bring out the red color in them much better- This is assuming you have a red variety? Have you stuck you hands down in the soil around the base of the tree. Is it very muddy or is it dry? A tree that is constantly in the mud will exhibit the same signs of stress that a tree with too little water will show. The roots need air just as much as they need water.