PDA

View Full Version : First Big Job

JConner
09-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Hey everyone, Well i need help again i just got offered a big trim job and well i don't know how to price it. He said the other guy told him 120.00 which he also said 4 hours at $30.00 and he was going to bring a 6 man crew and knock it out in 4 hours. he said that he likes me and would prefer to give the job to me. Now i could just stick with the other guys 120 but i don't think i will make any money and i need to know how to price for future. The whole house has 1 row of different shrubs all the way around but in the front there are a few rows of hawthorns and 4 palms PLEASE HELP i also have made up some proposals (contracts) which i would like to use he wants me to give him an hourly rate i know you guys all ready say no but I'm just double checking,. Thanks alot

ezgoer1969
09-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Do it for the experience. All your questions will then be answered.
For me, too low.....

Swampy
09-03-2008, 09:24 PM
I always charge a little more for hawthorne's, due to the thorns. Just my thought. But from what your describing that price is way to low

jimithing31
09-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Hey everyone, Well i need help again i just got offered a big trim job and well i don't know how to price it. He said the other guy told him 120.00 which he also said 4 hours at $30.00 and he was going to bring a 6 man crew and knock it out in 4 hours. he said that he likes me and would prefer to give the job to me. Now i could just stick with the other guys 120 but i don't think i will make any money and i need to know how to price for future. The whole house has 1 row of different shrubs all the way around but in the front there are a few rows of hawthorns and 4 palms PLEASE HELP i also have made up some proposals (contracts) which i would like to use he wants me to give him an hourly rate i know you guys all ready say no but I'm just double checking,. Thanks alot

Okay let me get this straight... Another guy will do it for $120 with 6 guys and it will take 4 hours.

So they are going to split $120, 6 ways, for 4 hours of work???

THATS $5.00 AN HOUR!!!

ericmcj31
09-03-2008, 09:40 PM
I always charge a little more for hawthorne's, due to the thorns.

????:hammerhead::hammerhead:Since when do hawthornes have thorns?? :confused: I assume we're talking about Indian hawthorn??? Dude-check your plants please!:nono: Unless you've got a different hawthorn your way!:laugh:

But seriously, I wouldn't touch it for that price, but like said earlier-if ya want-do it for that-it's more than you would make at your local Publix or whatever super you've got in your 'hood. I took on jobs like that just to get my name out when I started and I hated myself when the job was being done, but happy with my experience and (probable) good word of mouth the customer would be leaving with one of his/her neighbors or friends. Good luck!

MowHouston
09-03-2008, 09:58 PM
????:hammerhead::hammerhead:Since when do hawthornes have thorns?? :confused: I assume we're talking about Indian hawthorn??? Dude-check your plants please!:nono: Unless you've got a different hawthorn your way!:laugh:

But seriously, I wouldn't touch it for that price, but like said earlier-if ya want-do it for that-it's more than you would make at your local Publix or whatever super you've got in your 'hood. I took on jobs like that just to get my name out when I started and I hated myself when the job was being done, but happy with my experience and (probable) good word of mouth the customer would be leaving with one of his/her neighbors or friends. Good luck!

Have you not seen the insanely large thorns on black hawthorns? Ew. I hate running into those things while mowing.

ericmcj31
09-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Have you not seen the insanely large thorns on black hawthorns? Ew. I hate running into those things while mowing.

I am sorry-I stand corrected!:hammerhead: thanks--but no, we don't have those in our zone. I have NEVER seen a hawthorn with actual thorns!

jimithing31
09-03-2008, 10:17 PM

Did you not read what he posted??? 4 hours with 6 guys? How long would that job take solo? Now either he posted his info wrong or this is a BIG job and for $120?? No thanks I'm sitting at home

ericmcj31
09-03-2008, 10:22 PM
yeah-I realized that after I had posted--I agree, but I think his #'s are wrong. There's no way a company would quote that kinda price-heck-they'd be paying the homeowner to do the work!

JConner
09-03-2008, 10:48 PM
thanks i agree i thought the pri cewas to low.Yes indian hawthorns. i am thinking about doing the job for more $ but not sure how to wright up the proposal like
X amount of $ for hawthorns
x amount of $ for palms
x amount of $ for dump + weeding
---------------------------------
equals price
does that sound good i dont prefer to work by the hour i dont make as much $

kleankutslawn
09-03-2008, 11:03 PM
buddy are you serious about that price?

Swampy
09-03-2008, 11:17 PM
I am sorry-I stand corrected!:hammerhead: thanks--but no, we don't have those in our zone. I have NEVER seen a hawthorn with actual thorns!

Most are now breed without thorns or trying to breed with out, but older landscapes generally have them, or you can get the ones with thorns to keep people out (Like the UPS hub has planted by their back fence). But generally hawthorn (Crataegus) will revert to produce some thorns. Don't worry I have to go to back to my notes and books cause I can't remember every plant either.

MileHigh
09-04-2008, 01:18 AM
I charge somewhere around 60 per man hour for jobs like that.

Let's just say that you are going to charge 35 per man hour, at 4 hours each, that's 24 hours total split between the 6. 24X35 = $840.00.

God damn...I would get the job @ 35.00 per man hour, and then sub it out to the jack-a$$ that was going to do it for $120.00.

That ain't that big of a job neither. imo

topsites
09-04-2008, 02:22 AM
I'm not disagreeing with the general consensus regarding the price,
I think the work is likely worth more and the price should be higher too
but one thing that has to be understood is this customer has made it
clear they will not be paying much over $120, and that is all there is to it.

So a service provider in this case can quote anything they want, but the customer might go for 140, max.
Anything much over 140 I already know the answer is no, maybe 145 :p
But really 120, 125 would work, more than likely so would 130, at 135 it becomes iffy.

See...

Let's just say that you are going to charge 35 per man hour, at 4 hours each, that's 24 hours total split between the 6. 24X35 = $840.00.

God damn...I would get the job @ 35.00 per man hour, and then sub it out to the jack-a$$ that was going to do it for $120.00.

And no, I think that's funny but you wouldn't get the job if you quoted 840...
What would happen is that customer would have any of a number of allergic price reactions
such as dizziness, shortness of breath, a tourette's attack, or anything along those lines...
But the one thing that customer will not be doing is agreeing to the price.

What this means is the options for a service provider have been narrowed,
so the choice is still in the provider's hands but either it can be done for $120'ish
or one might graciously turn it down, way I see things.

That's what I've learned over the years.

jimithing31
09-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Way i see it, at the hours worth of work the original poster claimed the job involves. Either he would be paying what the job was worth or he would do it himself.

Hell one of my customers wanted the hedges around his pool enclosure cut back a foot and a half off the screen to put down pavers. about 65 feet length with the sides and back of enclosure. It took me about 45 minutes to cut and cleanup/ bag the stuff I cut off. Charged him $50 and he did not blink an eye.

mattxb
09-05-2008, 10:56 AM
I would do this work for $35 an hour, for how many ever hours it would take. Simple easy pricing, take it or leave it is what I would tell the home owner.

S.I.
09-05-2008, 01:56 PM
First off I think the guy is blowing smoke that a 6 man crew is going to work 4 hours for $120. I don't even think you could get illegals to do that.

Second look the place over and estimate how long it will take you. Figure what your costs will be, and add on what you would like to make off of the job. Give him that price and if he takes it great, if he doesn't, no loss to you.

It is a lot more that I would do for 120 bones but if you just want to get a learning experience out of it that is your choice.

JConner
09-07-2008, 09:08 AM
i gave him z proposal yesterday for 225.00 and he said that was reasonableand that most likly i will get the job thanks for everones help

StrongScape
09-07-2008, 03:40 PM
how many times will you cut in the mth?

JConner
09-07-2008, 11:34 PM
well this is just for the shrub trimming he said hre has paid the other guy up till the end of the year but didnt like the way he priced the shrub trimming. I should be taking over the lawn maint. in jan but untill then just the shrub trimming

corey4671
09-07-2008, 11:48 PM
if the other guy is willing to do it for $120 with a 6 man crew in 4 hours...tell him to have at it!

DUDE...do you not realize that is TWENTH FOUR HOURS!!! Like someone else said....that's $5/hr BEFORE you deduct you expenses for fuel and disposal!!!!!! Maybe you like paying someone for the opportunity to work....me, I like to actually get PAID. IF this truly is a 24 hour job, I'd be looking at no less than $1500...

I'm sure this guy DOES like you...especially if you'll beat this other guys price! IN the words of Envy, If you don't raise your prices, the customer sure won't do it for you.

JConner
09-08-2008, 09:49 PM
This job at max will take me 6 hours alone i might have messed up the other guys number im pretty sure he said 6 guys 3 or 4 hous 30 dollars an hour or that is what he told me anyhow