PDA

View Full Version : PG, Z-Spray, or T3000 for small lawns?

maxrep12
09-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Of the powered spreaders listed, which might be best suited for small to medium residential lawns(3k to 12k)?

I have used wright standers for many years, so can appreciate the zero turn aspect, but don't want to purchase a spreader that is intended for larger properties. So I guess the key factor is smaller lawns. Money is not a huge factor.

Real Green
09-03-2008, 11:39 PM
There is a lot of opinions on this matter. I have used all of the listed units. I like the T3000 on any size lawn.

Now just sit back and watch what happens in this thread.................

ZSpray Info
09-04-2008, 07:20 AM
Of the powered spreaders listed, which might be best suited for small to medium residential lawns(3k to 12k)?

I have used wright standers for many years, so can appreciate the zero turn aspect, but don't want to purchase a spreader that is intended for larger properties. So I guess the key factor is smaller lawns. Money is not a huge factor.

Actually our units are very similar to the Wright Standers. When we started
we purchased the rear frame and upright from Wright. We still use a similar design but in stainless steel. If you are able to use a Wright Stander in these yards, we feel our unit would be fine as well. Our Junior is the most suitable for you from our line-up. Each unit will have its plus and minuses.

gregory
09-04-2008, 09:46 AM
i have a jr and when i was looking at getting a ride on i called pg and they told me there are somethings that can not be sprayed out thru there unit like wp..thats something you might want to look into..i don't know if the T3000 can spray wp or not but i have used them in my jr without any problems...its real easy for me to get the jr around my yard but its also 40k sq....

HoseJockey
09-04-2008, 10:18 AM
We are 99% commercial. We have had the Z-Max for 2 years now. It comes out with us everyday. We can always find a job for it.
This year we won the bids on some HOA. They range from 60 houses to 175 houses. We use the Z-Max on the houses without gates. Its nice but we are looking at the Jr for these props. We are hoping the Jr has the same quality and is efficient as the Max.

We have a perma-green ultra also. But it honest to god breaks down every week no matter what P/M we do. I know they have made improvements on the newer models but all the problems we have had with the ultra has ruined any chance of us getting another perma-green.

ted putnam
09-04-2008, 10:37 AM
We are 99% commercial. We have had the Z-Max for 2 years now. It comes out with us everyday. We can always find a job for it.
This year we won the bids on some HOA. They range from 60 houses to 175 houses. We use the Z-Max on the houses without gates. Its nice but we are looking at the Jr for these props. We are hoping the Jr has the same quality and is efficient as the Max.

We have a perma-green ultra also. But it honest to god breaks down every week no matter what P/M we do. I know they have made improvements on the newer models but all the problems we have had with the ultra has ruined any chance of us getting another perma-green.

That is exactly why I am leaning toward the Z-jr. I run the Ultra now. I have 99% residential. How bout Gustav!...real productive week I've had. I'm just north of Little Rock

HoseJockey
09-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Been home for 2 days now. If only the rain would control nutgrass and this late crabgrass popping up. I could get used to being at home for a while.

I used to work for one of your competiors up there. Fairway Lawns. I worked for them here in Memphis but we had to go for a company meeting in LR every year.

rcreech
09-04-2008, 12:50 PM
I think all machines will do a good job for you! The T and Z have several more options but if you are only looking at applying broadleaf control and dry fert the PG will do a great job for you!

The T-3000 would definitly be my pick if not the PG...but the Z is a very good machine I am sure, I just DO NOT LIKE BOOMS!

PG does very well as it does a great job in tighter areas due to being articulated.

FdLLawnMan
09-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Just yesterday I used my T3000 on lawns ranging in size from 4,000 to 40,000 Sq. Ft. One of the yards had a gate and the area in the fenced area was about 2,000 Sq. Ft., it worked great. I can get in every nook and cranny and not leave prill's all over the place, only where they are supposed to be.

RABBITMAN11
09-04-2008, 02:35 PM
No Question the Z spray! Most productive, most reliable 800 hours on mine no problems.

maxrep12
09-04-2008, 05:53 PM
I did demo the PG Magnum today. What left me unimpressed, was the amount of body english required to turn the unit at the end of each pass.

Honestly, being very comfortable with the wright standers zero turn format, I am leaning towards the Z-spray - which I have not yet demo'd....

americanlawn
09-04-2008, 06:41 PM
We have tried all the above. Only one model has no legitimate competition. It's the revolutionary TURFCO T3000.

We have used it daily since early April. My guy that runs it truly hates all others (thats cuz he also has run them all). Now I don't want to upset anyone, but we have deep pockets, so we can choose any ride-on we want. But if you need the most versatile/user friendly ride-on, try a T3000 before you spend your money on something not as versatile or comfortable. It spreads & sprays up to 13 feet and attains speeds in excess of 5 mph (forward & reverse). No bulky tanks, low center of gravity so it can climb hills as steep as over 45 degrees (no other unit can do this either). Wet/slippery lawns are no prob. It's a very comfortable ride as well -- handling curves, bumps, etc better than any other. It easily goes thru 36" gates, and it maneuvers easilly around flower beds, etc. Of course it has spray/spread pattern adjustments, and you don't need two hands to steer the thing.

Okay, so now I have you thinking....the T3000 can easily & safely be hauled on a carrier rack instead of pulling a trailer. You mentioned small lawns...,so i figure you probably don't want two vehicals (truck plus hauling a trailer behind) which sucks.

Then figure how many hands it takes to operate the machine.....(T3000 guys know who I mean). My T3000 applicator will be treating 400,000 sq ft tomorrow. Lawn sizes will range from 178,000 sq ft to 4000 sq ft.

Not trying to be a salesman, just letting you know what we already know. I have been in this industry for over 30 years, and I've seen it all. Choose wisely, cuz I have pointed out several advantages that nobody else has. That's why I say it's a no-brainer. It's your money. Good luck. :usflag::canadaflag:

I did demo the PG Magnum today. What left me unimpressed, was the amount of body english required to turn the unit at the end of each pass.

Honestly, being very comfortable with the wright standers zero turn format, I am leaning towards the Z-spray - which I have not yet demo'd....

rcreech
09-04-2008, 07:37 PM
We have tried all the above. Only one model has no legitimate competition. It's the revolutionary TURFCO T3000.

We have used it daily since early April. My guy that runs it truly hates all others (thats cuz he also has run them all). Now I don't want to upset anyone, but we have deep pockets, so we can choose any ride-on we want. But if you need the most versatile/user friendly ride-on, try a T3000 before you spend your money on something not as versatile or comfortable. It spreads & sprays up to 13 feet and attains speeds in excess of 5 mph (forward & reverse). No bulky tanks, low center of gravity so it can climb hills as steep as over 45 degrees (no other unit can do this either). Wet/slippery lawns are no prob. It's a very comfortable ride as well -- handling curves, bumps, etc better than any other. It easily goes thru 36" gates, and it maneuvers easilly around flower beds, etc. Of course it has spray/spread pattern adjustments, and you don't need two hands to steer the thing.

Okay, so now I have you thinking....the T3000 can easily & safely be hauled on a carrier rack instead of pulling a trailer. You mentioned small lawns...,so i figure you probably don't want two vehicals (truck plus hauling a trailer behind) which sucks.

Then figure how many hands it takes to operate the machine.....(T3000 guys know who I mean). My T3000 applicator will be treating 400,000 sq ft tomorrow. Lawn sizes will range from 178,000 sq ft to 4000 sq ft.

Not trying to be a salesman, just letting you know what we already know. I have been in this industry for over 30 years, and I've seen it all. Choose wisely, cuz I have pointed out several advantages that nobody else has. That's why I say it's a no-brainer. It's your money. Good luck. :usflag::canadaflag:

How much rain did you guys get out there Larry?

Seen you were getting quite a bit!

We are still in desert land here in OH...but 50% chance tomorrow! Keeping our fingers crossed as we are almost as dry as last year now! :cry: Crops and lawns SUCK right now!

maxrep12
09-04-2008, 07:39 PM
I appreciate your response, AmericanLawn, but for small lawns wouldn't the z-spray be more agile with its zero turn capabilities?

Yes, I am familiar with the wright stander handling. Anyone familiar with the wright can hold the unit in a straight line with one hand holding both levers. If I were navigating large lawns, then the zero turn capability would not be such an important issue.

Additionally, the z-spray hits 8 miles an hour, no? Yes, I do like the fact that the T3000 can ride via hitch mount.

I'm in SE Michigan, what would be the best way for Turfco to get me on a demo, to win my favor?

pinto n mwr
09-04-2008, 09:46 PM
i see the advantages of having a ride on unit, personally use an hps and a vicon, but seriously is a ride on needed for 3k-12k lawns?

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
09-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Anyone familiar with the wright can hold the unit in a straight line with one hand holding both levers.

:clapping: Exactly! If you know how to operate a zero turn stand on, you find hills are no problem... The junior is a great machine! Mine has booms-I love them...But you can also get one without booms, if you wish. I use mine for everything from 3 way, to fungicides, wettable powders, flowables, ec's, all with great performance, even on small lawns! You won't be dissapointed with the junior-especially if you are familiar with stand on zt's:)

RABBITMAN11
09-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Z spray will out perform any other unit, it also doesn't turn like a tractor.
If you put all of the units together and tried them out you would know right away that there is no comparison to the Z.

Victor
09-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Z spray will out perform any other unit, it also doesn't turn like a tractor.
If you put all of the units together and tried them out you would know right away that there is no comparison to the Z.

Ummm... Didn't you admit that you hadn't even tried a T3000? If you are going to claim now that you have demoed a T3000, where did you demo one?

I HAVE operated all 3 and can tell you that while the T3000 isn't a zero-turn, that thing turns sharp enough that it doesn't matter. It didn't feel like turning any tractor I've been on and I've been on a lot of tractors! :laugh: With just the slightest turn of the wheel, you're turned around and heading back in the opposite direction. The T3000 is one heck of a machine. I don't take anything away from Z'Sprays, because they are too.

gregory
09-05-2008, 11:48 AM
does the T3000 have any problems spraying fungicides, wettable powders, flowables, ec's like the pg does?

Real Green
09-05-2008, 12:48 PM
does the T3000 have any problems spraying fungicides, wettable powders, flowables, ec's like the pg does?

We have have no problems with our unit involving spraying a variety of liquids. However, we have not tried wettable powders. The tanks do have agitators.

Victor! You are the man! :weightlifter:

Real Green
09-05-2008, 12:48 PM

We have have no problems with our unit involving spraying a variety of liquids. However, we have not tried wettable powders. The tanks do have agitators.

Victor! You are the man! :weightlifter:

turfcobob
09-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Maxrep12: Here are some answers. The spray system can handle most anything that will go through a 50 micron filter. The nozzles are designed for corn so they handle all products very well. The unit has adjitation so it will keep products in suspension. But you will find you will be repairing the rubber diaphrams in the pump from time to time with some chemicals especially product that have to be kept in suspension. This takes about 30 minutes to take the pump out replace the diaphram and put it back. Some chemicals take a toll on the rubber in the pumps. Output is up to 4 gallon per minute that will give you up to one gallon per thousand sq. ft. if you need it. Requires a nozzle change from what the factory ships. You buy the bigger nozzles from J Deere and twist of and twist on. Turning in tight spaces is easy once you catch on to how the unit drives. The steering is designed for tight areas and total control with little to no effort. The application patterns are spray 4, 6 and 9 foot, dry 6 foot and 9 foot effective. Trim control of prills is excellent as is the spray trim. For very tight areas and corners there is a hand wand with 15 foot of hose. Slope control and stability is excellent and ease of operation is second to none. To try one out you will need to contact turfco.

americanlawn
09-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Hi Buddy -- we got only 1/2 inch. Not enough to close up the cracks in the soil. Clay soils are still hard as a rock. Time to do a rain dance. :laugh:

How much rain did you guys get out there Larry?

Seen you were getting quite a bit!

We are still in desert land here in OH...but 50% chance tomorrow! Keeping our fingers crossed as we are almost as dry as last year now! :cry: Crops and lawns SUCK right now!