PDA

View Full Version : In need of a prolific Warm Weather Grass

DaddyRabbit
09-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Gentlemen, I am in need of the aforementioned and need your expertise in selecting one that will give this wild Bermuda/wire grass that I have been cursed with a good run for the money. The weather in NC is almost like the desert now w/very little rain to speak of. I have been killing everything the complete yr in the yard but after 5 applications this ^%# wire grass still tries to come back. I have heard that there are grasses that will literally choke out this wild bermuda. Thanks

White Gardens
09-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Zosia (SP?) grass or Buffalo grass should do good.

DaddyRabbit
09-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Is there a specific type of Zoysia that you would recommend? I have never had my azz handed to me like this wire grass has handed it to me. :confused:

Zosia (SP?) grass or Buffalo grass should do good.

Az Gardener
09-04-2008, 08:53 AM
If you can't beat em join em, get a good hybrid Bermuda and mow low. I suggest "celebration" or is it "celebrity" That is a great variety very soft on your feet, you can cut it with a reel and its beautiful or with the rotary at 1" -1.5" and it still looks good.

If you want a more utilitarian turf go with "Mid Iron" looks good taller but it is a coarse grass not to soft on the feet. Its still worlds better than that fescue crap I have seen, that is the worst grass IMHO. Zoysa dosen't stand a chance against Bermuda especially if it is dry.

whaler's Mow-Town
09-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Have you looked into St. Augustine? I have been told that Floratam is more heat resistant but I have had more luck with Raliegh. And oh yea it'll choke just about anything out once you get it started good. I am just not sure of avalability or If St. Augustine will proliferate in your area. These are water dependent species as most things green are and are dependant on your water when drought occurs.

tamadrummer
09-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Is there a specific type of Zoysia that you would recommend? I have never had my azz handed to me like this wire grass has handed it to me. :confused:

Wiregrass is bahia not Bermuda but wild Bermuda is a true pain in the butt!!

I think the idea of going all Bermuda is the best with something like St. Augustine (Sapphire varietal) is next best. If you go with St. Augustine make sure that you have a good fertilization/pest control company to care for it because chinch bugs and other pests are prolific with this stuff. They love the flavor of such lush grass.

Bahia should not be an option unless you fert and irrigate to keep it full and lush all year round with no chance for dormancy. (Argentine over Pensacola because of seed production in the growing season)