PDA

View Full Version : Belgium Block Edging Questions

robct
09-03-2008, 11:12 PM
I did a search and got some useful info but im looking for a little more help. If i were to charge 10$ a foot of edging for example would that include the materials or would the materials be added to that price. Also here in CT where it reaches freezing temps would laying them in 2" of concrete still be a good idea? what other ways are there of laying them? thanks alot

- Rob

Captains Landscape
09-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Don’t use some miscellaneous lnft price, think of the task at hand and how long it will take you. Compensate for your overhead and time to complete the task. 2” of concrete isn’t going to do anything. If you are that lost, propose dry-setting the cobbles. Simply dig a trench, level the units on a base of dense grade, compact dense grade in front and behind each unit, and backfill with soils or aggregate.

Top Dog Pavers
09-06-2008, 10:23 PM
BB must be set in 4" concrete footings or theres a chance they will heave after the winter thaw. Joints them properly and give them a concrete backfill with your trowel...should last a long time.....$10 LF. is about right for complete job.

SLSNursery
09-07-2008, 10:06 AM
I think that you ought to heed Captain's advice. What are you edging? Some trees, or a small landscape bed, or a driveway with heavy use? Also - what size block are you using - Jumbo - 4x8x11?, and are you setting them horizontally or vertically? This would drastically affect pricing.

If it was some light decorative style edging, dry setting will work, and makes adjustment later easy after mowers, or lawn tractors knock them around. Otherwise you need to have some sort of footing/solid base. If what you are doing is more of a curb than an edge, than you need to treat it as such.

We started selling landscape edging blocks for more coverage and ease of use. They look like jumbos, but measure 3x6x12, and cost slightly less, with the same look.