PDA

View Full Version : Mini Excavator Lifting ability

AWJ Services
09-04-2008, 07:59 AM
What kind of weight can you guys move around with your Mini-ex's?

I was setting some rocks for a Koi Pond and some where in the 3200 pound range.

Any tips or tricks on moving rocks this size?

I have a KX-161.

RockSet N' Grade
09-04-2008, 09:04 AM
There is usually a lift capactity chart that comes with the machine. It is a table layed out that gives you weights and distances and compares over the side vs. out over the front of the blade.

bobcat_ron
09-04-2008, 12:02 PM
800 pounds over the side and 1200 pound over the blade with the ZX27, not bad for it's size.

Gravel Rat
09-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Lifting with a excavator is no different than lifting with a crane keep the load low so if you have to drop the load you don't have to go far.

Rocks in the 3200lb range your going to be using the blade and bucket to carry them or roll them into place.

A job like that you would be setting the large rocks first and build the rest around the rocks. A 161 with 3200lb rocks will be a grunt.

AWJ Services
09-04-2008, 07:22 PM
I read the lift chart but I do not see how it can lift what the chart says.

I lifted the 3000 pound rocks up from behind me and swung them around the side and then lowered them into place.
I was on the pond falls so I was going up an incline.
I have a hyd thumb so that will take some weight off the rating.
I ended up sometimes getting the rocks out so far from the center of the machine the hyd would not hold them in place.

The rocks could not be scratched so we used slings too hoist them with.
I have a few pics I will post later.

AWJ Services
09-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Here is a pic from my phone.

AWJ Services
09-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Here is one more.

RockSet N' Grade
09-05-2008, 12:22 AM
That looks like fun. What kind of liner and how thick is it? What did you choose for your pond bottom?

wanabe
09-05-2008, 12:49 AM
Lifting with a excavator is no different than lifting with a crane keep the load low so if you have to drop the load you don't have to go far.

Rocks in the 3200lb range your going to be using the blade and bucket to carry them or roll them into place.

A job like that you would be setting the large rocks first and build the rest around the rocks. A 161 with 3200lb rocks will be a grunt.

I don't think so. A crane has a winch, and that is much easier to go up/down than a hoe any day. Every time the boom or stick is moved to go up/down, the center of the hook moves also, unlike a crane. I don't think a 161 is going to lift 3200 lbs. I ran a 121 for a while, and it would not even pick up the machine with the blade down all the way.

AWJ Services
09-05-2008, 07:48 AM
I don't think a 161 is going to lift 3200 lbs. I ran a 121 for a while, and it would not even pick up the machine with the blade down all the way.

Well it did.
How do you think the rocks got put in place?

That looks like fun. What kind of liner and how thick is it? What did you choose for your pond bottom?

It is another Landscaping company that I do excavating for that is doing all of the installation.
The liner is made out of rubber and looks pretty thick.
They used a one piece liner for the whole pond.It has a fabric underneath for protection.
They line the bottom with river rocks and boulders and have ledges underwater for plants too sit on.
They use 2 10k GPH pumps.
I will get some better pics today.
The plants will be installed next week.

RockSet N' Grade
09-05-2008, 10:54 AM
We do the pond install also or dig and set for ponder's. One little tip we have learned is to put foam board underneath the larger bottom rocks that contact the liner - saves the off chance of rock penetration. Seems to have worked well over the last couple years we have been doing that.

AWJ Services
09-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Thats a good idea.They just put a couple peices of scrap liner under the rocks.

AWJ Services
09-06-2008, 10:21 AM
What do you use for slings when hoisting the stones and also how do you hook the sling too your boom?