PDA

View Full Version : pintle hitch or bulldog

CLARK LAWN
09-04-2008, 05:02 PM
i need to switch out the hitch on my trailer, would you guys suggest a pintle hitch or the bulldog style hitch, i already have the combo ball/pintle on both of my trucks so that doesnt matter.

punt66
09-04-2008, 05:37 PM
What kind of trailer, weight?

CLARK LAWN
09-04-2008, 06:39 PM
20' tandem axle 7K gvw

pjtrailerguy
09-04-2008, 07:13 PM
The pintle is more advantagous on larger trailers with a high GVW. You're going to like the ball better in your situation because your trailer is light and you will have less slop in your hitch coupling. A pintle is rated heavier than a ball hitch. Thats why a lot of guys use them, but you will like a ball better with a small 7K GVW like yours.

punt66
09-04-2008, 07:57 PM
The pintle is more advantagous on larger trailers with a high GVW. You're going to like the ball better in your situation because your trailer is light and you will have less slop in your hitch coupling. A pintle is rated heavier than a ball hitch. Thats why a lot of guys use them, but you will like a ball better with a small 7K GVW like yours.

agreed. Even my 26' enclosed has ball.

ken gustafson
09-04-2008, 08:17 PM
I make locks for both....but on my trailers...all of them I use Pintle/Lunette eyes. Been using them for almost 12 years now. No problems...no issues. They can handle much weight...several times what a Bulldog hitch can and I could go on. But it seems the biggest thing Lawnsite people have against Pintle/Lunette eyes is when there are no brakes on the trailers. Every trailer I use has brakes so no noise when I use the brakes. On Pintle/Lunette eyes no moving parts so what can go wrong....just my point of view.
I haul mostly firewood...about 140 cords per year...a few loads of mulch..a few more of sand and a little gravel..mostly firewood. Ken

punt66
09-04-2008, 08:23 PM
I make locks for both....but on my trailers...all of them I use Pintle/Lunette eyes. Been using them for almost 12 years now. No problems...no issues. They can handle much weight...several times what a Bulldog hitch can and I could go on. But it seems the biggest thing Lawnsite people have against Pintle/Lunette eyes is when there are no brakes on the trailers. Every trailer I use has brakes so no noise when I use the brakes. On Pintle/Lunette eyes no moving parts so what can go wrong....just my point of view.
I haul mostly firewood...about 140 cords per year...a few loads of mulch..a few more of sand and a little gravel..mostly firewood. Ken

he has a 7000lb trailer. A pintle is overkill. Yes pintle can haul more weight. My ball hauls over 9,000 on a ball with no issues.

ken gustafson
09-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Thought we were expressing opinions. Even at that why would overkill be a problem? Even using my trailers in Pintle/Lunette eye setup is overkill but have NOT had to make any changes in anything for 12 years. Lunette/Pintle eye has no moving parts. Thought the question was .... he was making a change and wanted views...I gave mine. No moving parts...weight no problem and if you have brakes on your trailer .... no noise. I have been under the impression for quite some time....that less problems is a very good situation...for me. Again just my opinion.... Ken

punt66
09-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Thought we were expressing opinions. Even at that why would overkill be a problem? Even using my trailers in Pintle/Lunette eye setup is overkill but have NOT had to make any changes in anything for 12 years. Lunette/Pintle eye has no moving parts. Thought the question was .... he was making a change and wanted views...I gave mine. No moving parts...weight no problem and if you have brakes on your trailer .... no noise. I have been under the impression for quite some time....that less problems is a very good situation...for me. Again just my opinion.... Ken

I am confussed. Sorry about what? Did i offend you because i see something different??? Anyway its a 7000lb dual axle trailer. By law it needs brakes. The smoother ride in MY OPINION haha, is the ball. You would be ok either way though.

ken gustafson
09-04-2008, 09:35 PM
I was saying that I fail to see why over kill is a problem and if you have brakes on the trailer there is no noise. Now if all all of that is in place...with no moving parts...in my opinion...the more simple something is the better you are in not having to fix or replace it. For sure the cost of a Pintle/Lunette eye is less than a Bulldog hitch..just bought a Lunette eye for my brother...$39. So again my opinion.... regardless of weight...not real sure but I think even the smallest Lunette eye is good for something like 15 tons. Lots of things happen in life but a Lunette eye in a closed Pintle hitch...not much to happen. Ken

Gravel Rat
09-04-2008, 09:37 PM
A pintle hitch is good for offroad use where a ball hitch binds up and you run the risk of bending something.

If your taking the trailer in off angle situations or climbing driveways that are steep a pintle is the way to go.

jefftb
09-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Pintle is overkill but that is not the issue. Overkill or overengineered, generally is not an issue and is not in this case here or ever when towing; if discussing weight/durability issues.

Using a 5 lb persuader to drive a 16d nail is overkill and a problem though.

I agree that a heavy duty hitch setup is better since there is less chance for things to go wrong. Either in this case is more than enough for the trailer and application involved. I was having this very same discussion two days ago with a subcontractor. I prefer the bulldog hitch over conventional coupler anyday. The pintle second best in the same application and the pintle when towing heavy trailers. The pintle is heavier duty period and always better off road.

We use bulldog up to 12,500 lbs trailers and pintle beyond that. Pintle downfall is that if you are not used to it then there will be banging, hammering between the two devices unlike the direct coupled bulldog hitch when accelerating and braking. They are also harder to backup if you are not used to them.

I'd think in your case the bulldog will make you happiest.