PDA

View Full Version : need advice on cobblestone

oakhillslandscaping
09-04-2008, 06:26 PM
hey guys i was looking for some advice, the other day i was asked to do a cobblestone driveway or half the driveway depending on the price, however i am torn on how to install the cobbles do i lay them and concrete and be at the risk of the salt from the winter wearing away the concrete or should i use a poly sand? any other options that i am missing? thanks for what you can give me in advance

Marbleman
09-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Maybe you could convince you client to go with a tumbled paver that has the look of cobblestone. It would be easier and quicker to install, you would just need a thicker base than a normal patio.

sven1277
09-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Cobble stones a time consuming to install because the sizing is approximate. Each stone will need to be individually set. Plowing will also be difficult. Also, they have become really expensive. 2 years ago, I was buying jumbos for $3 each. Now they are $5.50. If you set them in concrete, you better have a 98% compacted base of 10-12", otherwise you will have a lot of cracking. I agree, tumbled pavers are a much better direction, even for a high end historic house. I wouldn't recommend doing the job if you are not experienced in pavers, especially a driveway.

amscapes03
09-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Unilock has a paver called "Courtstone". Check it out. Unilock.com

amscapes03
09-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Use "Gator Dust" in the joints. Alliancedp.com

Ajax
09-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Unilock has a paver called "Courtstone". Check it out. Unilock.com

Courtstone is nice stuff. Just be prepared to use alot of polysand because the gaps are large. They will probably reccommend the "HP" polysand for the bigger gaps.

JimmyStew
09-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Wow, I can't believe the bad press the cobblestone is getting. If your customer wants real cobblestone, sell him real cobblestone. I'm not familiar with all of the different paver mfg. but the ones I am, do not produce anything that realistically compares with true granite cobbles. It is a one of a kind look, and well worth the trouble and expense of installation.

Captains Landscape
09-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Use granite cobbles and set them individually as mentioned. Ignore the comments about using ICP to replicate Belgium block. 80% of homes in my area have cobblestone entry aprons at the foot of the driveway. Snow removal is of no issue. Your finished product should be level and smooth as pavement. Look for a stone yard that stocks the most uniform cobbles. Try Swenson Granite.

oakhillslandscaping
09-05-2008, 09:51 PM
thanks captains landscaping should i do tight joints like pavers with them or should i lay them in mortar

Captains Landscape
09-05-2008, 10:28 PM
I dry-set them in 10-12” of compacted aggregate base (reprocessed asphalt / dense grade) compacted in lifts. Joints are as tight as the variance in the stone will allow while keeping a straight bond. Joint material is of no large significance. We use stone dust simply for aesthetics.