PDA

View Full Version : Its bout time I introduce myself (pics)

nickscuttingedgelawn
09-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Well i have been registered on here a few months back and was never really active. Well I am Nick and I am a 17 year old high school senior in North Carolina. I started lawn care my freshman year of high school for a way to pay for college. I started off with just a 21 in john Deere push mower and using my parents john Deere lx 280. Since then I have gained more customers each year I am currently sitting at 17-18 customers per week. I have been working every week since. In the years that I have been working I have never missed a customer mowing. I go to school during the day until 3.00 in the afternoon. I can usually complete 4-5 lawns after school. When I first turned 16 is when I started expanding out of my street. I started with an 03 Sport Trac and this past May I purchased my Uncles 97 F - 150 that has 347000 miles on it now I bought it with 339,000. I also purchased my trailer at the age of 16 it is a Leonard 17 ft with the 2 ft mesh sides. My mower is a Toro ZTR that I purchased this past spring and it makes things so much easier I have yetto buy a strip kit for it. I also did buy of the equipment you see in the photo with my own money. I plan to attend college next year, So I will be doing this next year until July with my current customers. Whell that's about all heres the pictures from work today (9-4-08)
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i74/rockcrawer/DSCN2467.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i74/rockcrawer/DSCN2459.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i74/rockcrawer/DSCN2447.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i74/rockcrawer/DSCN2455.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i74/rockcrawer/DSCN2457.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i74/rockcrawer/DSCN2454.jpg

My Front Yard, I am not very good at stripes
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i74/rockcrawer/DSCN2458.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i74/rockcrawer/DSCN2453.jpg

Sweet Tater
09-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Welcome to Lawnsite, best of luck with your business

mississippiturf
09-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Very good work. You're a smart man. Get that education. Heck, I'm 57 and I think I'm going to enroll this fall in a local junior college to get some edumacation on agriculture landscaping.

Liquidfast
09-04-2008, 08:39 PM
What school did you say you attend?

- nice equipment
- nice lawns!
- nice truck

Your spelling sucks so that must put you right up there with the best of the best for landscaping j/k.

Way to go!

I love the second pic of the house you cut!

punt66
09-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Wow thats alot of miles. What was he doing to rack up that kind of mileage?

nickscuttingedgelawn
09-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks man ya my spelling needs some work that's what English class is for right.

nickscuttingedgelawn
09-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Wow thats alot of miles. What was he doing to rack up that kind of mileage?

He lives in Michigan near the southern boarder and would drive to Toledo Ohio every day. By the way its the orginal motor and tranny. No joke and it tows my trailer like its nothing

GravelyGuy
09-04-2008, 08:43 PM
That's a ton of miles on the truck! Truck and trailer look good together.

J&R Landscaping
09-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Truck looks great for having that kinda milage! Nice set-up and good luck!

Scag413
09-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Can i ask why you were driving 40+mph, towing a 16ft trailer behind you, and taking pictures? lol

Kennedy Landscaping
09-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Can i ask why you were driving 40+mph, towing a 16ft trailer behind you, and taking pictures? lol

I was thinking the same thing. Everything looks good. That truck sure looks to be in good shape for as many miles as it has.

BltFordTuf
09-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Nice truck..i have the same one, but blue....It's only got 130,000 miles on it though...i doubt it'll last to 350 tho....

Looks like you've got a lot of real nice stuff. Keep up the good work

Scag413
09-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Just to verify I am not critizing man...that is a really nice set-up! and keep up the good work

nickscuttingedgelawn
09-04-2008, 10:28 PM

ahh let me point that out I was not towing at the time and I was not the one who took the picture my girlfriend who was passenger took it while I was driving:) I wouldn't take a picture while driving I have before though lol

nickscuttingedgelawn
09-04-2008, 10:29 PM
thanks guys for all the kind words it means a lot to me a lot of people that I work for show the same respect which is nice

deere615
09-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Nice equipment and work. That is a ton of miles on that truck! why not continue work through college, are you going away I guess

SNAPPER MAN
09-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Nice truck man. I got a '99 F-150 with 172,000 miles and it still runs great. What engine do you have in yours?

02DURAMAX
09-05-2008, 02:13 AM
Nice Equipment and thats alot of miles on that truck!!

Scag413
09-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Ok good...I was hoping you werent the one taking the picture...but im sure you didnt rlly want the picture as much as you wanted your girlfriend to get close to you as you were driving :) lol...thats a good one i might have to use it HAHA

MRobin9470
09-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Nick,

Looks great, nice work.

I am right around the corner from you in Denver.

nickscuttingedgelawn
09-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Nice truck man. I got a '99 F-150 with 172,000 miles and it still runs great. What engine do you have in yours?

5.4 l

4 speed auto

nickscuttingedgelawn
09-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Nick,

Looks great, nice work.

I am right around the corner from you in Denver.

Thats cool whats the name of your business I ve probably seen you before

Tim03
09-05-2008, 08:55 PM
That truck looks great for being 11 years old and 350K on it, especially being in Michigan with all the snow (and rust!)

nickscuttingedgelawn
09-05-2008, 09:54 PM
That truck looks great for being 11 years old and 350K on it, especially being in Michigan with all the snow (and rust!)

Ya the underbody isnt that bad and the body had one spot that i sanded down and touched up other then that its pretty good. When it was first bought it got some sort of coating on the bottom and the body panels were filled with some sort of rust protection. all i know is in the sun the rust proofing turns to a liquid and drips out by the handles and headlights

SuperDuty335
09-07-2008, 01:41 PM
We're all next door to each other! I'm in Lincolnton.:usflag:

MRobin9470
09-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Thats cool whats the name of your business I ve probably seen you before

Mine is TheSodfather. I have a couple of commercial accounts in Lincolnton and one neighborhood that takes about 7 hours. Just started this year.

SD335. Good to know you're around. Do you do a lot in Lincolnton?

Mark

TheSodfather

SuperDuty335
09-09-2008, 06:59 PM
I'm not in the lawn business, I just like the forums on this website. I am, however getting into some erosion control. As a full time job I'm a land surveyor working out of Denver. Our office is the old Hank Parker office in the middle of Denver on Hwy 16.

Junior M
09-09-2008, 08:06 PM
I am kinda close to you guys! I am about an hour south of downtown charlotte coming down 77..

LawnBoy89
09-12-2008, 05:02 PM
He lives in Michigan near the southern boarder and would drive to Toledo Ohio every day. By the way its the orginal motor and tranny. No joke and it tows my trailer like its nothing

I had an identical truck but it had the smaller V8 and it was red....ran good.

punt66
09-13-2008, 01:51 AM
I had an identical truck but it had the smaller V8 and it was red....ran good.

si i guess its not so identical. hahah

FinerCutslawnCare
09-13-2008, 02:41 PM
I am also 17. It is nice to know that I am not the only one that is working this hard at my age! Good luck with everything!

BrandonV
09-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Good work so far. Which college are you saving for? I won't tell you were I went as not to bias you *cough* state

wannabamower
09-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Thats great, I wish I had stayed with it when I started in high school. I took a couple years off, but now I'm going stronger than ever.

You should look in making your our striper kit to save some money.

Riley Lawn Service
09-16-2008, 12:02 PM
hope you like the business it sure pays good when you have enough customers. which shouldn't make it too hard to save up the money for college. right now i am trying to pay off my dodge in my display pic and then im gonna start saving for college and mods for my truck.

nickscuttingedgelawn
09-16-2008, 02:39 PM
Good work so far. Which college are you saving for? I won't tell you were I went as not to bias you *cough* state

looking at app state for a business degree

nickscuttingedgelawn
09-16-2008, 02:39 PM
I am also 17. It is nice to know that I am not the only one that is working this hard at my age! Good luck with everything!

ya its hard man i know special me I am trying to get scholarships for school and I am up every night till about 12.30 doing homework but its great money

verant
09-16-2008, 03:31 PM
hey, ur story sounds similar to mine. Im up here at UND attending my sophmore year in college and going back on weekends to MN (2.5 hr drive to Alexandria, MN) to mow during the fall. Its a big committment but worth it, gotta keep my customers for summer when I'm back get back home.

nickscuttingedgelawn
09-16-2008, 07:07 PM
hey, ur story sounds similar to mine. Im up here at UND attending my sophmore year in college and going back on weekends to MN (2.5 hr drive to Alexandria, MN) to mow during the fall. Its a big committment but worth it, gotta keep my customers for summer when I'm back get back home.

That's a commitment I am actually thinking about doing that same thing If i get into one of the two colleges I am looking at one is 30 minutes from home and the other is an hour and I wouldn't mind driving a hour through the mountains to come home and work all day and then go back on sunday night, Monday morning.

verant
09-16-2008, 08:18 PM
That's a commitment I am actually thinking about doing that same thing If i get into one of the two colleges I am looking at one is 30 minutes from home and the other is an hour and I wouldn't mind driving a hour through the mountains to come home and work all day and then go back on sunday night, Monday morning.

yeah man, it's def possible if ur college is that close, i wish it was for me. My 190 mile drive one way sucks, but gotts do it. As you'll see, it kinda sucks to miss out on things like parties at college on the weekends and ur at home workin ur but off, but eh, we're makin the money and workin for ourselves. This year I have a helper that sometimes works with me on the weekends too. This has made my weekends less stressful to get everything done.

nickscuttingedgelawn
09-17-2008, 01:42 PM
yeah man, it's def possible if ur college is that close, i wish it was for me. My 190 mile drive one way sucks, but gotts do it. As you'll see, it kinda sucks to miss out on things like parties at college on the weekends and ur at home workin ur but off, but eh, we're makin the money and workin for ourselves. This year I have a helper that sometimes works with me on the weekends too. This has made my weekends less stressful to get everything done.

Its funny you mention that because today some kids were asking why i would want to do that then I tell them how much money I make in a Weekend and they just druel, I like working for my self and not having a boss its great. I also have a helper its my girldriend and we enjoy helping each other out and this way I get down faster and she makes some money. I agree it is a lot less stressful when you have a helper. One of us will ride the zero turn and the other weedwhacks and blows cuts each lawn time in half almost.

:usflag:

verant
09-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Its funny you mention that because today some kids were asking why i would want to do that then I tell them how much money I make in a Weekend and they just druel, I like working for my self and not having a boss its great. I also have a helper its my girldriend and we enjoy helping each other out and this way I get down faster and she makes some money. I agree it is a lot less stressful when you have a helper. One of us will ride the zero turn and the other weedwhacks and blows cuts each lawn time in half almost.

:usflag:

exactly man, customers also usually understand that you will pretty much just be mowing on the weekends when school starts. just keep ur quality up and you'll be fine unless you have some snippy customers that don't understand. Really, they should admire what we're doing, getting a hire education and keeping a biz running

nickscuttingedgelawn
09-18-2008, 02:10 PM
exactly man, customers also usually understand that you will pretty much just be mowing on the weekends when school starts. just keep ur quality up and you'll be fine unless you have some snippy customers that don't understand. Really, they should admire what we're doing, getting a hire education and keeping a biz running

Ya, exactly most customers I have will understand because they have been with me since i started

Beau Rivage
09-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Man, that old truck has great lines...Looks good with the trailer also. Congrats.

nickscuttingedgelawn
09-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Man, that old truck has great lines...Looks good with the trailer also. Congrats.

Ya i like it better then the new ones and it seems to hold up better. Overall I feel it is a tougher truck