PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat T320

getthenet
09-05-2008, 01:39 AM
I am looking at buying a skid steer. bobcat t 300 or t 320? Anyone been on one yet? I rent t300 s alot so I am familiar with them but was wondering if the 320 was worth the difference in price. Give me some educated input. thanks

jefftb
09-05-2008, 05:18 AM
Since you rent a 300 frequently pick up a 320 next time and operate the difference yourself. You must need the T300 performance, there is not a terribly large difference between a 300 and 320. Larger engine (12 more horsepower), 200 more lbs. rated operating capacity but the same 50% tipping load rating, machine flows at high flow are the same. The added horsepower may give a little more grunt.

I really do not see the need for a 320 over a 300 since the performance difference is not that great.

Nelson M Martin
09-05-2008, 06:32 AM
I am looking at buying a skid steer. bobcat t 300 or t 320? Anyone been on one yet? I rent t300 s alot so I am familiar with them but was wondering if the 320 was worth the difference in price. Give me some educated input. thanks

I owned a T300 for 11 months and had 1150 hrs on it.
I traded it in to dealer for a new T320 c/w the suspended under carriage
It is each to his own machine...but i think the difference in ride is worth while changing to a T320.

P.S. the T300 was about $9000.00 less then it was when i bought it ..reasonable resale value

bobcat_ron
09-05-2008, 09:27 AM
A local plant nursery on my customer list that owns a T300 is not too pleased with it, everyone complains about the rough ride, poor fuel economy and they want pilot controls as every one gets pain in their arms and chest, so they are switching over to a Cat 297C or a 299C PDQ now, thanks to my little "demonstration".

The roller suspension is a joke, lift the loader all the way up, and the machine gets real "rocky" and it needs almost it's own 50% ROC to make the rollers move, not to mention the the rear idler position was raised up, it will dig in to soft soil faster when it's un-loaded and wear the tracks down more on hard surfaces.

Digdeep
09-05-2008, 02:47 PM
A local plant nursery on my customer list that owns a T300 is not too pleased with it, everyone complains about the rough ride, poor fuel economy and they want pilot controls as every one gets pain in their arms and chest, so they are switching over to a Cat 297C or a 299C PDQ now, thanks to my little "demonstration".

The roller suspension is a joke, lift the loader all the way up, and the machine gets real "rocky" and it needs almost it's own 50% ROC to make the rollers move, not to mention the the rear idler position was raised up, it will dig in to soft soil faster when it's un-loaded and wear the tracks down more on hard surfaces.

I actually got in the cab of a T320 right before the end of the summer and the ROC of the T320 "with the suspension" actually drops to 2800lbs@35% compared to 3200lbs@35% with no suspension. I think it was a mistake to remove the extra roller Bobcat had added to improve track life and ride but I guess they didn't have room for their nifty leaf springs.

Nelson M Martin
09-05-2008, 08:40 PM
everyone complains about the rough ride, poor fuel economy and they want pilot controls as every one gets pain in their arms and chest,

i think its a wise choice to go for the pilot controls,,i dont have any use for the rowing oars in a skid steer
i dont own a Bobcat without joystick control.
Bobcat has machines available with the joystick controls as well.
I would not like to run any skid loader for a whole day without joystick control.
they are so much more user friendly IMO.

bobcat_ron
09-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Dude, I love that spill guard!!

ksss
09-05-2008, 09:20 PM
i think its a wise choice to go for the pilot controls,,i dont have any use for the rowing oars in a skid steer
i dont own a Bobcat without joystick control.
Bobcat has machines available with the joystick controls as well.
I would not like to run any skid loader for a whole day without joystick control.
they are so much more user friendly IMO.

We all chimed in on this suspension system when Bobcat released it and I cant recall anyone thinking that is would be all that effective. Since your the first to post here that has one, what do you think. Did you have a prior BC tracked machine before the 320?

My opinon is if your buying a BC the E/H controls are the only way to go. The AHC is terrible and without Servo's its even worse. The feedback in the controls especially on the tracked machines is uncomfortable to say the least. BCrons story does not surprise me.

Nelson M Martin
09-05-2008, 09:35 PM
We all chimed in on this suspension system when Bobcat released it and I cant recall anyone thinking that is would be all that effective. Since your the first to post here that has one, what do you think. Did you have a prior BC tracked machine before the 320?

To answer ur question...yes i had a T300 Bobcat for 11 months.
I have been fairly lucky with repairs in the 1150 hrs i used it ,they were basically Zero.
Down time with the T300 might have been half hour or so besides daily maintnance.

The T320 suspension is very effective..actually it is effective to the point of being tricky for final grading.
as Bobcat ron has mention previously in this thread, it makes the machine more tippy or rocky if compared with a soild under carriage machine

getthenet
09-05-2008, 10:20 PM
I usually run a t300, but I ran a takeuchi t130 all last year with joystick controls. I would just about put the smoothness of controls on the t130 up against anything out there. Then I ran a cat 287B with supension. The ride difference was amazing on smoothing out the bumps. But the joystick controls on the cat were very behind on technology compared to the t130. But still, my bobcat dealer takes care of me the best in all situations and that means the most to me. So I will go with bobcat but just wonder about that suspension on t320. As bobcatron said, it might be to "bouncy" when you are fine grading, but is it any worse than the cat series with torsion suspension?

bobcat_ron
09-05-2008, 10:25 PM
I usually run a t300, but I ran a takeuchi t130 all last year with joystick controls. I would just about put the smoothness of controls on the t130 up against anything out there. Then I ran a cat 287B with supension. The ride difference was amazing on smoothing out the bumps. But the joystick controls on the cat were very behind on technology compared to the t130. But still, my bobcat dealer takes care of me the best in all situations and that means the most to me. So I will go with bobcat but just wonder about that suspension on t320. As bobcatron said, it might be to "bouncy" when you are fine grading, but is it any worse than the cat series with torsion suspension?

The Cat torsion axles won't make the machine bouncy like the Bobcat Roller Suspension, the torsion axles actually need some weight to make them really move, and just the weight of the machine moving around makes them move so little, you won't notice it, it's when the machine drops hard off a curb or when you get over centered then you can feel them working.

Nelson M Martin
09-05-2008, 10:34 PM
So I will go with bobcat but just wonder about that suspension on t320. As bobcatron said, it might be to "bouncy" when you are fine grading, but is it any worse than the cat series with torsion suspension?

I have run the 297C this summer and now have the T320,I dont think there is much difference for final grading.
That being said then i dont think the Cat is as bouncy as T320

getthenet
09-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Price of t320 loaded up $64000 w/o suspension and $66000 with suspension.
t300 $62000 loaded, joystick, ac, high flow and all. t250 around $58000. If nothing else, it sounds like for $2000 more, go with t320 w/o suspension if that might be a problem. These numbers what every one else are getting?

Nelson M Martin
09-05-2008, 10:52 PM
These numbers what every one else are getting?

i dare say those numbers are looking fair

mrsops
09-06-2008, 02:02 PM
nelson seems like your very happy with your bobcat track loaders. I'm very happy with my bobcat t-190. I was very close to buying a t300 that machine just has extreme power

KTM
09-06-2008, 04:58 PM
I paid well under 50k after taxes for my TL140 back in December, 60k plus for A BC! I would go price diffrent brands IMO.

Nelson M Martin
09-08-2008, 05:55 AM
I paid well under 50k after taxes for my TL140 back in December, 60k plus for A BC! I would go price diffrent brands IMO.

u might compare machines on paper, but it will take the TL150 (same as Gehl CTL80) to do the same amount of work as the T300 and T320 BC.
I have had different kinds of machines running along side the Bobcat T300 doing the same kind of work.
RC-100 ASV, 248B CAT with VTS, CTL80 Gehl, CT322 Deere just to mention a few.
Some of them were comparable and others wanted to over heat

AWJ Services
09-08-2008, 06:57 AM
Bobcat markets the The T300 against the TL140 here in Georgia.
It is there only chance at a sale.
The grading conditions are tough here and the Bobcat will not compete against the TL150 .
Factor in other aspects and then maybe, But not for just grading.
But the ground here is like concrete 7 months out of the year.

KTM
09-08-2008, 04:30 PM
I have spent time on both (not 320) and you can keep your BC for that much money, not that I thought it was bad, but it is still BC quality for way more than A TK, seems like there overpriced and buying one is throwing money out the window IMO

getthenet
09-08-2008, 11:41 PM
I just did a lease purchase on an excavator, 435 bobcat with long arm. The lease purchase is up this month and we are going to keep it. Bobcat has been great for us to rent from. I have needed a track machine 2 different times in the past year and there was not one for rent. The rental company owns probably 45 to 50 track machines. These 2 times this particular company bought a brand new t300 in just for me to have available when I needed them. I don't think there is another company around here that will back their product as well as bobcat takes care of us. I'm waiting on my rep to come back with prices and see what bc has as far as programs and what not. Hopefully, something will come up on the 320 w/o supension. Mrsops, I have rented the t 190 several times too. It seemed to be a great machine but I was scared it might not move these pallets. Some pallets weigh just over 4000 lbs. the 300 moves them pretty good.

bobcatuser
09-09-2008, 12:13 AM
I picked up my T320 this afternoon, time to make some real money.:weightlifter:

getthenet
09-09-2008, 12:22 AM
very nice machine. What all attatchments did you get, is that a vibrating roller and 6 way? What all kind of work do you do as far as needing the roller?

bobcatuser
09-09-2008, 12:38 AM
I bought the machine with a 80" 4 in 1 bucket,78" roller, 96" 6 way dozer. The roller was bought for slab prep work.

bobcatuser
09-09-2008, 12:46 AM

I bought the T320 because of the extra hp. If you not doing a lot of pushing or lifting the T300 would probably work for you.

Nelson M Martin
09-09-2008, 07:29 AM
Bobcat markets the The T300 against the TL140 here in Georgia.
It is there only chance at a sale.
The grading conditions are tough here and the Bobcat will not compete against the TL150 .
Factor in other aspects and then maybe, But not for just grading.
But the ground here is like concrete 7 months out of the year.

Sorry guys i did not intend any harm here........i was just trying to explain my experience with trackloaders in this part of the woods:canadaflag:

KTM
09-09-2008, 07:49 AM
Like they always say, different strokes for different folks, no harm here.

AWJ Services
09-09-2008, 07:55 AM
Sorry guys i did not intend any harm here........i was just trying to explain my experience with trackloaders in this part of the woods

I was doing the same.
I respect what you are saying and appreciate your experiences.

At first I had a hard time understanding how a machine would not work for me yet it is perfect for someone else.

Nelson M Martin
09-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Has anybody ever wanted a hitch/bumper for the 300 series bobcats.
i will get better pictures if u need them

bobcat_ron
09-09-2008, 09:23 AM
I picked up my T320 this afternoon, time to make some real money.:weightlifter:

That 6 way dozer will work real nice for fine grading, but they are useless in the hard digging, if you are smart, you'll carry a bucket with you when you get to that point.

bobcatuser
09-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Has anybody ever wanted a hitch/bumper for the 300 series bobcats.
i will get better pictures if u need them

I'm interested, is that aftermarkets or shop built?

That 6 way dozer will work real nice for fine grading, but they are useless in the hard digging, if you are smart, you'll carry a bucket with you when you get to that point.

I will have the 4 in 1 if I need it. You would be surprised what that blade will do, I was leveling some road millings that were packed for 4 years with truck traffic.

Nelson M Martin
09-09-2008, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=bobcatuser;2506112]I'm interested, is that aftermarkets or shop built?

It is local shop built....4 pc 1/2" plates lazer cut to size.Also 5pc spacers per side

YellowDogSVC
09-09-2008, 05:23 PM
The 4n1 is nice. I have a wee one for a 66" machine but it is built tough enough to use with a 90 hp machine.

That 320 is nice. I did a short demo in one but opted for the s330. I had the s330 "tuned up" and if it's power is any indication of the T320's (which has slightly more hp and psi) then you have a real beast. I hope you got the joysticks. I really like the new bobcat joysticks and the new computer and gauges. Good luck and post some job pics if you can.

mrsops
09-09-2008, 05:26 PM
I bought the machine with a 80" 4 in 1 bucket,78" roller, 96" 6 way dozer. The roller was bought for slab prep work.

beautiful machine bobcatuser good luck with but i did want to ask you a question on that vibratory roller because im interested in getting one. How much does that attachment cost?

mrsops
09-09-2008, 05:27 PM
I was doing the same.
I respect what you are saying and appreciate your experiences.

At first I had a hard time understanding how a machine would not work for me yet it is perfect for someone else.

it must be that concrete dirt down there :)

mrsops
09-09-2008, 05:31 PM
I just did a lease purchase on an excavator, 435 bobcat with long arm. The lease purchase is up this month and we are going to keep it. Bobcat has been great for us to rent from. I have needed a track machine 2 different times in the past year and there was not one for rent. The rental company owns probably 45 to 50 track machines. These 2 times this particular company bought a brand new t300 in just for me to have available when I needed them. I don't think there is another company around here that will back their product as well as bobcat takes care of us. I'm waiting on my rep to come back with prices and see what bc has as far as programs and what not. Hopefully, something will come up on the 320 w/o supension. Mrsops, I have rented the t 190 several times too. It seemed to be a great machine but I was scared it might not move these pallets. Some pallets weigh just over 4000 lbs. the 300 moves them pretty good.

i love my t190 it has great pushing power and i have moved pallets of allen block around with it. lil tipsy thou those pallets weigh about 3800 lbs.. i have been in a t300 a few times it lifts those pallets like its nothing

AWJ Services
09-09-2008, 05:31 PM
it must be that concrete dirt down there

Yep thats what I was thinking.
:drinkup:

mrsops
09-09-2008, 05:32 PM
The 4n1 is nice. I have a wee one for a 66" machine but it is built tough enough to use with a 90 hp machine.

That 320 is nice. I did a short demo in one but opted for the s330. I had the s330 "tuned up" and if it's power is any indication of the T320's (which has slightly more hp and psi) then you have a real beast. I hope you got the joysticks. I really like the new bobcat joysticks and the new computer and gauges. Good luck and post some job pics if you can.

yellow what do you mean you had it tuned up? fill me in

mrsops
09-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Yep thats what I was thinking.
:drinkup:

awj what other ctl machines have you demoed? I have demoed every ctl out there i liked the bobcat and the tak the best. problem with the tak is i just didn't think the dealer support was going to be there

AWJ Services
09-09-2008, 07:55 PM
I purchased in 2006.
I tried the Bobcats ,Deeres, and Takeuchi.
The Deeres where the worst machine imaginable.I would quit the business if I had too run one.
The Bobcats did not have decent controls and the T300 machines where dropping wheel motors left and right.They did not have the hydraulic power either of the Takeuchi.
I was comparing a machine with a 1000 pound higher ROC that cost 7 to 8 k more(T300).
They also did not have the digging power either.
I called Case but they where not very energetic about selling me a machine.
The Cat stuff was out because of there tracks.
There tired stuff just had no digging power.They just would sit there and make noise.

I use my machine too dig and not much else.
So the Takeuchi fit the bill.

Junior M
09-09-2008, 08:00 PM
What Tak did you purchase?

mrsops
09-09-2008, 08:04 PM
I purchased in 2006.
I tried the Bobcats ,Deeres, and Takeuchi.
The Deeres where the worst machine imaginable.I would quit the business if I had too run one.
The Bobcats did not have decent controls and the T300 machines where dropping wheel motors left and right.They did not have the hydraulic power either of the Takeuchi.
I was comparing a machine with a 1000 pound higher ROC that cost 7 to 8 k more(T300).
They also did not have the digging power either.
I called Case but they where not very energetic about selling me a machine.
The Cat stuff was out because of there tracks.
There tired stuff just had no digging power.They just would sit there and make noise.

I use my machine too dig and not much else.
So the Takeuchi fit the bill.

there was a lot of things i did not like about the deere either. What didn't you like about them?

AWJ Services
09-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Noisy,stupid safety features,poor visibility,weak curl,terrible feedback in controls, small cab, the bucket would not stay in position when cutting a hard grade.It would just start moving up .Not too mention the boom moving left and right 5 inches or so.
It was like comparing a Murray riding mower too a Scag ZTR.
I wanted Pilot and Takeuchi was my choice.Actually there was no other choice other than Komatsu or JCB.
I look like a Drunk Monkey running foot pedals.:)

bobcatuser
09-09-2008, 09:16 PM
I hope you got the joysticks. I really like the new bobcat joysticks and the new computer and gauges. Good luck and post some job pics if you can.

Noisy,stupid safety features,poor visibility,weak curl,terrible feedback in controls, small cab, the bucket would not stay in position when cutting a hard grade.It would just start moving up .Not too mention the boom moving left and right 5 inches or so.
It was like comparing a Murray riding mower too a Scag ZTR.
I wanted Pilot and Takeuchi was my choice.Actually there was no other choice other than Komatsu or JCB.
I look like a Drunk Monkey running foot pedals.:)

I got the foot controls, otherwise i'd be the "Drunk Monkey" running hand controls.:laugh:

AWJ Services
09-09-2008, 09:30 PM
I got the foot controls, otherwise i'd be the "Drunk Monkey" running hand controls.

It is funny how we learn something and stick too it.
I have ran my excavator so much I get in my skid and run the controls like I was in my excavator.:hammerhead:

mrsops
09-09-2008, 09:55 PM
I got the foot controls, otherwise i'd be the "Drunk Monkey" running hand controls.:laugh:

all my bobcats have the foot controls that's what we like best

YellowDogSVC
09-09-2008, 10:55 PM
all my bobcats have the foot controls that's what we like best

I did until I got popeye forearms and calves like Bluto. I decided to go hand controls after trying out the CAT. I do miss the hand foot for some applications and I will probably get a 2nd machine with hand foot so that I can keep up with it. AFter 11 years, and 4 months of CAT controls, suddenly the rowing sticks felt alien..what's up with that?

getthenet
09-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Running in the mud all day long, I would much rather have joystick controls. I have always run hand and foot controls but joystick is easy too. The takeuchi controls are very sensitive. At first its takes a minute to get used to. but in the end I really liked it. there is no support here for takeuchi either.

Junior M
09-10-2008, 07:16 AM
It is funny how we learn something and stick too it.
I have ran my excavator so much I get in my skid and run the controls like I was in my excavator.:hammerhead:
Thats exactly what I did when I first got in a machine with joysticks...

AWJ Services
09-10-2008, 07:35 AM
Thats exactly what I did when I first got in a machine with joysticks...

Maybe we went too the same school?:)

suddenly the rowing sticks felt alien..what's up with that?

Assimilation complete?

Junior M
09-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Maybe we went too the same school?:)

Assimilation complete?
hmmm? maybe we did? hmm nah i dont think so your a little to smart.. that and if you lived here in SC you wouldnt want to move to crappy georgia with there concrete dirt! :laugh: You would hate it after being used to all the sand... :laugh: just messing with you..

AWJ Services
09-10-2008, 05:05 PM
That sand just runs back in the hole so you are never done digging.

But if I had sand too work in maybe I would like Bobcats more?:dancing:
Lately I have been hating Georgia.
Been here 43 years maybe a change of scenery is needed.

Junior M
09-10-2008, 07:13 PM
That sand just runs back in the hole so you are never done digging.

But if I had sand too work in maybe I would like Bobcats more?:dancing:
Lately I have been hating Georgia.
Been here 43 years maybe a change of scenery is needed.
I bet you would like Bobcat more!! and no that is sugar sand that rolls back in the hole when you dig we dont seem to get much on our jobs here.. But when you do find the sugar sand you find alot of it!! But most of it is being taken over by nasty scrub oak and pines which is usually out in the middle of nowhere and in and around alot of wet swampy areas but not many subdivisions and places find it but we have a few areas around here because our whole area is pretty wet

if you want to move there is a house diagnal from my house that is for sale and it sets on a three acre pond..

kreft
09-10-2008, 07:42 PM
are you painting the roller and blade blue to?

AWJ Services
09-10-2008, 07:59 PM
How far too the beach?

Junior M
09-10-2008, 08:03 PM
How far too the beach?
hmm depends on how you go but about an hour to an hour an fourty five the way we go.. But I hate the place all the freakn sand between my toes and it gets in everything..

But I love parts of it!! I bet you can guess what i love about it..

THE GIRLS!!!

AWJ Services
09-10-2008, 08:15 PM
I love the beach.
I was a beach bum in my previous life.

kreft
09-10-2008, 08:30 PM
I also love the beach. 2010 SEINOR WEEK!!

getthenet
09-11-2008, 12:48 AM
how about a t300, 06 model, with brand new tracks and 1050hrs @ $23,500? deal or no deal?

ksss
09-11-2008, 02:00 AM
Considering that the machine sells for 60K or there about new, I would say that could potentially be a good deal, maybe even a great deal if the machine is in good condition. It goes to show just how painful the depreciation is on a new tracked machine.

Excuse me while I digress. A machine that sells for 60K and 1050 hours later is worth 37K less than new for an hourly depreciation of 36 dollars an hour with new tracks. That is a tough pill to swallow. My purchase price may be high if it is not a cabed unit but you can see the point. I recently had my 440 appraised for a possible trade. It is in average condition. It has 1100 hours with cab and heat no A/C but fully loaded otherwise. Trade allowance is $22500. I paid 34,500 for the machine in mid 06. The math comes out to $10.90 per hour depreciation. I have had some machines that were half that rate. It is an interesting comparison. I think if you really want a tracked machine that you could save a lot of money by buying used. It becomes a buyer beware situation due to the high cost of undercarriage components, but if your educated on what to look for you could take advantage of the heavy depreciation by buying one with some hours on it. Warranty is always an issue, but if you look at the BC above, the guy who bought that machine put 1050 hours on it and paid for new tracks and lost 30 some K during the ownership of the machine. That is brutal, but I doubt that the year of full machine coverage that the machine came with was worth all that money. I know they can move more material than an equally sized wheel machine in unfavorable ground conditions, but man it comes at a stiff cost.

YellowDogSVC
09-11-2008, 08:38 AM
I love the beach.
I was a beach bum in my previous life.

I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale and remember Spring Break well! I was 10 miles inland but spent most Friday and Saturday nights cruisin' the strip when I got my license.

bobcatuser
09-14-2008, 12:56 AM
I now have 25 hrs on the new T320, I'm still impressed with the pushing ability. This is a short video of me spreading ditch scrapings over a field.

Dose anyone have tips or tricks for using the dozer attachment more efficiently?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBOvkJsCsvs

kreft
09-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Would a cat 299C be able to push like that aswell?

Bleed Green
09-14-2008, 09:34 AM
prolly so, i mean i wouldnt think that a new Cat would be that much different than the new bobcat.

AWJ Services
09-14-2008, 09:47 AM
I am sure all of the bigger machines will push similar with quality operators.
Not sure how the Cat anti stall will affect the ground speed when lugging the engine though?

bobcat_ron
09-14-2008, 11:01 AM
You need more weight on the front of the doze blade to even out the weight distribution.

A Cat (or any other brand) won't have any issues, it's when you are trying to use the aux. hydraulics with the attachment control kit at the same time that you will hear the engine lugging (like in the video) try to back off the ground speed while making adjustments to the blade and push in the same trough until you get down to the right grade, then go over 3 feet and do another slot.

bobcatuser
09-14-2008, 11:44 AM
The blade is spaced quite far from the quick tach, It dose feel balanced. More weight on the front would be better. Slot dozing seems to work good on firm ground, but when I make a pass over a soft spot the blade wants to dig in. What is the best way to make corrections?

I think the engine lugging sound in the video is actually the variable hydraulic cooling fan, It starts to come on when the machine is under load and is quite loud.

ccstrebe
09-14-2008, 12:23 PM
I wish I could give you some tips but I have given up on trying to do any finish work in firm to soft dirt with a blade. I started out with a 6-way blade and found out within 5 minutes of using it that you don't really have much control of the cutting edge. The blade is three feet from the mounting plate so if you curl down 1 inch at the mounting plate it is like three inches at the blade. If you are in softer dirt, once the blade starts cutting in it wants to pull the blade deeper.

Quick Attatch offers a front wheel grader option so I bought it hoping that it would help and the sales rep said everyone who buys a blade winds up getting the wheels option. Still didn't help for what I needed it to do. Wasted money. I just got done selling the whole thing (basically unused) for a $2,500.00 loss.

Next I tried a custom made fixed blade which mounted directly to the arms. I figured by being three feet closer to the machine I would have more control. Same problem in my kind of dirt, as soon as the cutting edge started to bite it wanted to start sucking down deeper, it was easier to curl up to control it but by that time you had a hole that had to be repaired. I sold it for a $1,000.00 loss.

I finally came up with a custom made blade setup that works so slick, and you have 100% complete control. Now mind you my requirements from a blade are probably different than what most people use them for, I need to do super fine grade work at a decent work speed. Basically the way I use a blade at the track is this, I want to push high spots (berms built-up from the bikes) into the low spots (trenches created by the bikes) without affecting the surrounding ground and to smooth the ruts and holes that develope in the faces of the jumps. Also I can use my custom made blade going forward at speed with dirt in the blade and have the same finish that is produced by back dragging on a bucket.

I have been waiting for my New Cat to get here because I wanted to start a "Let's see your custom implements" thread. I have three custom implements that I am so proud of. They are the result of buying what is out there and none of it working, at least for me anyway. You should see what I came up with to replace the power rake, and it doesn't even use hydraulics and I can use it at full speed.

bobcat_ron
09-14-2008, 01:40 PM
The blade is spaced quite far from the quick tach, It dose feel balanced. More weight on the front would be better. Slot dozing seems to work good on firm ground, but when I make a pass over a soft spot the blade wants to dig in. What is the best way to make corrections?

I think the engine lugging sound in the video is actually the variable hydraulic cooling fan, It starts to come on when the machine is under load and is quite loud.

If you had pilot controls, you could make finer adjustments just by curling the Bob-tach in, DON'T use the loader, the loader lifts faster and the first 2" of lift on any Vertical Path loader off the frame is tough, even when un-loaded.
Dozer's blades pivot up and down like the Bob-tach frame does, that's must easier to fine tune depth and height as you go, but you have foot pedals, so it's really hard to get it just right.

Now on the other hand, if you had a Cat CTL/MTL, with the AMICS in it, you could really play around with the controls.

Gravel Rat
09-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Nothing will beat a real dozer for getting nice grade out of it. A loader pushing with a blade as the weight is pushing against it the blade is lifting because the loader arms are pushing down on a angle there really isn't much hydraulic force holding the arms down. If you tilted the blade forward to make the material roll it would lift the blade right off the ground.

I wouldn't expect a perfect grading job using a blade on a skid steer but for rough grading or getting it close it works.

If Cat ever designed a C frame for their CTLs and had a tilt and angle blade on it you would have a good little machine for doing lawns or building driveways.

DUSTYCEDAR
09-14-2008, 02:37 PM
i want to see

Gravel Rat
09-14-2008, 03:29 PM
If they had a blade set up like this smaller of course and used a system of lifting the blade frame up and down so that you could get downward pressure so a hydraulic cylinder is in pushing instead of pulling (retracting).

www.machinerytrader.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=6315897&GUID=2cc8a2b26f3843bb936dbb252fb9e079

bobcat_ron
09-14-2008, 06:03 PM
That would be a sweet set up, but a 6 way PAT inside the track frames would still be better, but unpractical due to it's wider stance.

stuvecorp
09-14-2008, 10:39 PM
I wish I could give you some tips but I have given up on trying to do any finish work in firm to soft dirt with a blade. I started out with a 6-way blade and found out within 5 minutes of using it that you don't really have much control of the cutting edge. The blade is three feet from the mounting plate so if you curl down 1 inch at the mounting plate it is like three inches at the blade. If you are in softer dirt, once the blade starts cutting in it wants to pull the blade deeper.

Quick Attatch offers a front wheel grader option so I bought it hoping that it would help and the sales rep said everyone who buys a blade winds up getting the wheels option. Still didn't help for what I needed it to do. Wasted money. I just got done selling the whole thing (basically unused) for a $2,500.00 loss.

Next I tried a custom made fixed blade which mounted directly to the arms. I figured by being three feet closer to the machine I would have more control. Same problem in my kind of dirt, as soon as the cutting edge started to bite it wanted to start sucking down deeper, it was easier to curl up to control it but by that time you had a hole that had to be repaired. I sold it for a $1,000.00 loss.

I finally came up with a custom made blade setup that works so slick, and you have 100% complete control. Now mind you my requirements from a blade are probably different than what most people use them for, I need to do super fine grade work at a decent work speed. Basically the way I use a blade at the track is this, I want to push high spots (berms built-up from the bikes) into the low spots (trenches created by the bikes) without affecting the surrounding ground and to smooth the ruts and holes that develope in the faces of the jumps. Also I can use my custom made blade going forward at speed with dirt in the blade and have the same finish that is produced by back dragging on a bucket.

I have been waiting for my New Cat to get here because I wanted to start a "Let's see your custom implements" thread. I have three custom implements that I am so proud of. They are the result of buying what is out there and none of it working, at least for me anyway. You should see what I came up with to replace the power rake, and it doesn't even use hydraulics and I can use it at full speed.

I would like to see some of your attachments, always interesting to see what other guys have come up with. Would the Groundhog scraper attachment work in you application?

ccstrebe
09-15-2008, 12:22 AM
I would like to see some of your attachments, always interesting to see what other guys have come up with. Would the Groundhog scraper attachment work in you application?

That Groundhog has to be one of the coolest attatchents I have ever seen, especially if it had a laser attatched to it. It seems like the best use for it is for ground work where where you have major grade differences from one side of the job to the other, but you could still finish grade with it if you had the laser.

If I was into excavating I would want one just because it is so cool. For my work at the track it would be too big and cumbersome. My box grader with the laser works perfect for me.

stuvecorp
09-15-2008, 12:29 AM
That Groundhog has to be one of the coolest attatchents I have ever seen, especially if it had a laser attatched to it. It seems like the best use for it is for ground work where where you have major grade differences from one side of the job to the other, but you could still finish grade with it if you had the laser.

If I was into excavating I would want one just because it is so cool. For my work at the track it would be too big and cumbersome. My box grader with the laser works perfect for me.

There has been some discussion and it always ends like you said. I will find someone that uses it one day.

bobcatuser
09-15-2008, 12:38 AM

That power rake sounds interesting. I don't have any custom implements, but given the time I would like to build some.

Today I spent 7 hrs cutting and piling compacted clay material mixed with road grindings. What I found was keeping the blade down like Ron mentioned and using the curl to control the depth works best. The blade has adjustable guides (like a snowplow but bigger) when you curl back the guides contact the ground behind the blade, raising the cutting edge.

Working in granular material this blade is extremely accurate, probably 3x faster than using a 4in1 bucket for grading work.

ccstrebe
09-15-2008, 01:29 AM
The blade has adjustable guides (like a snowplow but bigger) when you curl back the guides contact the ground behind the blade, raising the cutting edge.

Working in granular material this blade is extremely accurate, probably 3x faster than using a 4in1 bucket for grading work.

Those adjustable feet were worthless for me.

I never thought about it but I could see a blade working good in granular, nothing to pull the blade down.